What events/races do you guys like so far this season?

Moderator: KTeves

cbusick
Tête de la course

What events/races do you guys like so far this season?

Post by cbusick » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:43 am

I'm still waiting for Mark's friends from up north to bring back the Friday Fritter ride.

Fridays 7:15 am The ODZ Friday Ebb ride is good through, reminds me of why ODZ was the inspiration for the MRC FMR format we used to do. This one is easy pace with sprints and a race for the last 1K

Sundays 810 Am. I road the MBTR Hilly ride this morning. It was pretty good. 2 hours at tempo with climbs somewhere between threshold and VO2max with a 8 mile race at the end.

wednesdays 6:30 pm Sweatfest East is nice to see some of our friends and figure out how they can go so good on zwift but IRL...

The WTRL TTT race series is brutal

Wednrsdays 5:45 AM The Dirt Cup races are pretty intense.
Last edited by cbusick on Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Chris Busick

cbusick
Tête de la course

Re: What events/races do you guys like so far this season?

Post by cbusick » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:33 pm

Also, if you haven't been on zwift in a while, there are some rides making good use of the Red Fence feature.
Maybe I'm the last to learn about this, but the leader can set a red barrier 2, 5 or 10 seconds ahead of the beacon.
If you go through it a 60 second countdown starts. If you get back behind the fence before it expires you are ok, but if not, you are kicked out of the event.
Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 1.32.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 1.32.03 PM.png (170.27 KiB) Viewed 123 times
Picture of me about to go through the fence

For a couple of the events I've done this is used initially to get rid of all the fliers early on which is great.
Then if the event wants to have a race to the finish like we used to do on the MRC FMR, the leader brings it back to 2 seconds until they hit the start point and then turn it off altogether when it's Race ON.

On the MBTR ride today the fence was at 5 seconds for the first lap. Then on the second lap they turned it off for the KOM so people could go as hard as they want. Then they put it back on at 10 seconds after the KOM, which gives people a minute to ease up and wait for the leader. Then with 8 miles to go they disabled the fence alltogether for the race to the finish.
Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 1.22.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 1.22.18 PM.png (214.34 KiB) Viewed 123 times
The leader's fence controls
-Chris Busick

KTeves
Tête de la course

Post by KTeves » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:13 pm

Every year after being away from Zwift for ~7 months I'm like a noob trying to remember the way it was and learn all the new stuff.

Chris, maybe you can write a summary of everything that's changed since April? ;)
KT

pace21
Maillot Jaune

Post by pace21 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:55 pm

It would be great to post here when you actually find a good group ride that has some hard and or competitive elements just as you described. Bonus points if it is a weekly recurring event. There are WAY too many events now to keep track. Having a master list of the good ones with day of week and time would be cool.

cbusick
Tête de la course

Post by cbusick » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:10 pm

one key change is the return of the bean burrito power up. this can be used to great effect in a Sprint. let the first couple early guys go, then fire up the burrito and go. the early sprinters well act as your lead out and nobody behind you will get any draft
-Chris Busick

Mkidd3
Tête de la course

Post by Mkidd3 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:42 pm

KTeves wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:13 pm
Every year after being away from Zwift for ~7 months I'm like a noob trying to remember the way it was and learn all the new stuff.

Chris, maybe you can write a summary of everything that's changed since April? ;)
Or read through this website https://zwiftinsider.com/ it has EVERYTHING! Very good resource for Zwifting.

KTeves
Tête de la course

Post by KTeves » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:26 pm

Mkidd3 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:42 pm
Or read through this website https://zwiftinsider.com/ it has EVERYTHING! Very good resource for Zwifting.
Yup, that's usually how I catch-up.
KT