Garmin replacement questions

michaelcole
Tête de la course

Garmin replacement questions

Post by michaelcole » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:43 pm

So I smashed my Garmin screen this weekend. I'm considering the 530 as a replacement. Anyone use the 530?
Comments? Suggestions?
The only reason I'd get the 530 over the 130 is the map feature but I can't really see the map without reading glasses anyway so maybe the 130 is all I need.

Go.

Fintan
Chasseur

Re: Garmin replacement questions

Post by Fintan » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:01 pm

Contact Garmin. They will often give you a refurb at a very reasonable cost.
The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts.

michaelcole
Tête de la course

Post by michaelcole » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:00 am

Nobody has one or any feedback on the 530? I was hoping to hook up with someone and check it out to see it in action.

carlshimer
Chasseur

Post by carlshimer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:58 am

My 520's charging port started to die. The usual problem is corrosion and can theoretically be fixed by disassembling the device, cleaning it with an alchohol, and putting it back together. Of course, these devices aren't meant to be taken apart and the ifixit videos are "best case". Well, I cracked the screen dissembling the device. I suppose I could have bought a new screen but at that point I said screw it and bought the 530. I don't have much feedback yet. It's newer, faster, and a big bigger. Haven't got to use any of the advanced features yet.

KTeves
Tête de la course

Post by KTeves » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:37 am

I have the Edge 530. Like Carl said it's a little bigger and a lot faster. I found a bug where the zoom level you try to set does not keep. I opened a case with Garmin and they confirmed the bug. It's supposed to be addressed with the next firmware update. It has some new features which I personally don't care much about. Others may disagree, but despite what people think about Garmin I still think the EDGE line is the probably the best there is.

(As with most cycling gadgets . . .) You should check-out DC Rainmaker's review: https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/gar ... eview.html
KT

chrismitchell
Autobus

Post by chrismitchell » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:55 am

michaelcole wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:00 am
Nobody has one or any feedback on the 530? I was hoping to hook up with someone and check it out to see it in action.
I've got a 530, I like it, much better than the 810 I was using before. I'll have it with me at our CX race if you want to check it out.