Wanted: a new bike, a shoulder to cry on, and someone to buy parts

carlshimer
Chasseur

Wanted: a new bike, a shoulder to cry on, and someone to buy parts

Post by carlshimer » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:27 pm

I love my 2012 Giant TCR advanced but sadly it may be time to part ways. Without this bike I wouldn't have experienced the joys of owning first generation 7970 DI2. It truly was a game changing experience at the time. Sadly, Shimano soon discontinued 7970, stopped making the parts, and certain components (like the rear derailleur) are very rare and/or super expensive on ebay. Current generation DI2 is not backwards compatible.
Keeping this bike running is probably an exercise in futility. The rear derailleur sometimes shifts, sometimes doesn't, and in many ways acts like a petulant child. Its gotta go.

Without this bike I would not have experienced the joys of crashing at Miles Standish and having my leg sliced open by a truant chain ring, nor crashing somewhere in Northbridge and getting a billion stitches. I think they say your scars define you or something. All I know is that the crashes where you stay awake are more painful then when you get knocked out.

Without this bike I wouldn't have needed to purchase a special Pika packworks bag to fit the integrated seat mast. Did I mention the integrated seat mast? So badass and I am sure I am faster with it - probably.

Without this bike I wouldn't have experienced the joys of a bike that stops working at 40 degrees. The bike defies physics (yes,I have tried multiple batteries). Literally no one has every had this problem with DI2. Trying to debug this bike has confounded some of the greatest mechanical minds in Metrowest. Why 40 degrees? It's not freezing. It's just a bit chilly - but no. The bike stops.

The most valuable part of this bike is the wheelset. I have a one year old set of Boyd 44mm carbon clinchers with a powertab G3 hub. It has a 10 speed freehub but I think (hope?) it can be upgraded to 11 speed if that's your thing. These Boyd's are true, fast, and never been crashed and I carefully feather my brakes on all descents (unlike Cratty). If anyone is interested give me an offer. I spent $1000 on the new wheels about a year ago. Not a ton of miles either.

If anyone has recommendations for a new rig I am all ears. My main skills are biking in a straight line, getting up early and riding in the dark, and making poor choices.

djming
Chasseur

Re: Wanted: a new bike, a shoulder to cry on, and someone to buy parts

Post by djming » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:58 am

If the Boyds can be made 11 speed, you could look at SRAM e-tap if you like the frameset (I have the same year frame as you and do really like etap on it).
Or yeah, new bike time; I think pretty much any fit your listed skill set!
Dave Mingori

peterkuhn
Domestique

Post by peterkuhn » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:25 am

There's really no love comparable to that between a man and his bicycle

carlshimer
Chasseur

Post by carlshimer » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:14 am

Dave - looking at the 2019 bike landscape it seems smart to upgrade to disc wheels and having the clearance to run larger tires. I like the idea of being able to run a 28-33mm tires for those gravel days.

BikeRider
Peloton

Post by BikeRider » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:35 am

DM sent on wheels.
D Kirouac

djming
Chasseur

Post by djming » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:36 am

carlshimer wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:14 am
Dave - looking at the 2019 bike landscape it seems smart to upgrade to disc wheels and having the clearance to run larger tires. I like the idea of being able to run a 28-33mm tires for those gravel days.
Or, you do the SRAM plus buy a gravel bike :D
But agree that having the larger tire clearance and disc makes sense, especially with what Trek and Specialized have done with the new Domane and Roubaix respectively (just as examples) as more of road/gravel capable bike.
Dave Mingori

cbusick
Tête de la course

Post by cbusick » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:27 pm

i don't know how much this helps, but they paved that road in Northbridge recently.

Also, if it wasn't for you having that bike, i might be riding DI2 by now.
-Chris Busick

carlshimer
Chasseur

Post by carlshimer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:26 am

Update: I decided to rebuild this bike with Ultegra DI2. Still thinking about a gravel bike :)

JeremyC
Tête de la course

Post by JeremyC » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:06 pm

I still have no electronic shifting because of Carl. But I have enjoyed some nice sandwiches...

swawersik
Chasseur

Post by swawersik » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:45 pm

Pleased to check in here for the first time in forever and find this gem of a thread.

Every time I've ever considered electronic shifting, I think of "Carl, how'd you get the beans above the frank?!?!"

pace21
Maillot Jaune

Post by pace21 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:58 pm

swawersik wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:45 pm
Pleased to check in here for the first time in forever and find this gem of a thread.

Every time I've ever considered electronic shifting, I think of "Carl, how'd you get the beans above the frank?!?!"
:D

carlshimer
Chasseur

Post by carlshimer » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:23 pm

swawersik wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:45 pm

Those who live in "Campy glass houses" should not throw stones