Clipless vs Platform Pedals

DPatnaude
Domestique

Clipless vs Platform Pedals

Post by DPatnaude » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:58 am

Just curious on the thoughts of the group on which pedals they prefer in this area.

I've lived just down the street from College Rock/Vietnam for years, but haven't taken advantage until recently. I started out as a mountain biker years ago in NH and ME and was probably the first to get SPD pedals in 1990. I've been clipless ever since. Last time I raced on my mountain bike, there was only cross country and I was Norba Sport category.

Now, with the abundance of rocks and roots on these trails I am not as confident to power through some sections because I won't unclip in time with an abrupt stop on a rock or root. The bike I am riding is also a bit vintage. 2002 or so Specialized front suspension bike.

Your thoughts on pedal types? Pros and cons?

Thanks,
Dave

pace21
Maillot Jaune

Re: Clipless vs Platform Pedals

Post by pace21 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:06 pm

Dave you are a very competent ‘crosser so Id have no worries about clipless MTB. The foot has a magical way of finding the ground when the $hit hits the fan. Also decent flats will have lots of shin-shredding pins in them and slipped pedals are more common with flats.

michaelcole
Tête de la course

Post by michaelcole » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:49 am

pace21 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:06 pm
Dave you are a very competent ‘crosser so Id have no worries about clipless MTB. The foot has a magical way of finding the ground when the $hit hits the fan. Also decent flats will have lots of shin-shredding pins in them and slipped pedals are more common with flats.
Dave
Everything that he said. And You have more control over the bike with spd, so you won't need to put a foot down as often. And, hit me up for a ride. You know I'm right around the corner too, with a relatively open schedule in the summer.

DPatnaude
Domestique

Post by DPatnaude » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:33 pm

Thanks Guys.

Michael, will let you know on a ride. Most of my rides are after work for a quick hour or so, but weekends are good too.

Dave