NBX

Race reports
pcollins
Peloton

NBX

Post by pcollins »

5,6 Dec 2015

Day 1 UCI C2
Got staged well on 3rd row, behind Myerson. Myerson uncharacteristically missed his clip in, luckily I was able to maneuver my way around him. I was in a group racing for 10th with Al Donahue, Berthram, Ian Keough, Myerson and a few others. On lap 2 our group came to a sudden stop in a corner which caused people to slam into each other. My derailleur was bent and shifting was bad for the rest of the race. I dropped my chain and lost the group, chased back, then crashed hard on the pavement after the railroad hop when I took it too fast. My bars were twisted and my morale was very low. I drifted back to 20th-ish place, made my way back up to 15th-ish then dropped my chain again. I made some passes on the last lap and finished 15th/52. I felt physically very good and enjoyed the course. If I ever had a chance to get UCI points this year, this was the race, too bad so much went wrong.

Day 2 UCI C2
Staged 3rd row but didn’t get a great start due to the craziness and slotted in around 20th. I made my way up to maybe 15th place then dropped my chain right before the sand, luckily I was able to multi-task by putting the chain back on while shouldering my bike running the sand. I dropped my chain again in around the same spot a few laps later but was too far away from the sand to pull off the “chain remount while shouldering the bike while running” trick. I lost about 5-6 spots and made a few passes before finishing 19th/43, definitely not was I was hoping for. Physically, I felt considerably worse than the previous day.
When I was waiting in line for prize money, Richard Fries called my name for the U23 podium, but I had already changed into plainclothes, as I had no idea I made the podium. I thought Sam O’Keefe was 3rd but I guess he DNF’ed in the last few laps. I felt pretty embarrassed to be “underdressed” on the podium, ruining the podium pic with Scott Smith and Curtis White. To my dismay, about 5 minutes later they called me back up again for the U23 Verge Series 3rd place overall behind Smith and White again. I apologize to the team for not being in kit while on the podium. I’ll have to get my hands on a MRC jacket so if something similar like this happens again I won’t look like some random dude off the street. I'll also have to get my hands on a darn chain catcher.

This might be it for my CX season this year, although I’m not ruling out Ice Weasels or CrossMas.
Smudger
Tête de la course

Re: NBX

Post by Smudger »

You need a pit guy.

Part of my wheel sponsorship for you is that you need to race Da Weasels. The team will be there to support you.

What about Nat's? You should be there. You were on the podium with some of the best in the country even with crashes, dropped chains and only 1 bike.
scottc
Peloton

Post by scottc »

Way to claw your way back despite the mishaps and going down on asphalt. Youth is definitely on your side.

The dropped chain is immediately resolved with clutch derailleur. Get one before the Ice Weasels.
KTeves
Tête de la course

Post by KTeves »

That's some all-around bad shit Pat! NECX BAR Winner! U23 Verge Series podium! UCI U23 podium! And the 'fix-my-chain-while-running-through-the-sand-with my bike-on-my-shoulder' maneuver. That sand run was tiring enough without trying to get your chain back on the ring at the same time.

You should do the Weasels for the end of the CX season hoorah!
KT
cbusick
Tête de la course

Post by cbusick »

Might be time for a new CX bike. It should probably enjoy an nice retired life in the pits next year.
I don't think the people at specialized expected an entry level Crux to be competing at this level weekend after weekend. :-)

Not to mention the bicycle industry can't be happy at how you are proving people really don't need $5000 bikes to do well at cross.
-Chris Busick
Mkidd3
Tête de la course

Post by Mkidd3 »

Fantastic job Patrick!!