Lake Auburn

Race reports
jraguin
Tête de la course

Lake Auburn

Post by jraguin »

Quick summary: Doug and I in the open 4s. No real team tactics as we just didn't have the numbers. I am personally a bit disappointed in my race. Just was too tentative and not aggressive enough... just kept thinking about "it is my first race in the 4s, these guys are good". Stayed mid to back of the pack most of the race, had only a brief moment of glory where I helped close down a big break with some pulls. Once again did some horrible rookie stuff in the sprint (was in the small ring... duh). Came in 15th in a mass sprint for the podium. Just a wimp today is the only way to categorize it.

Doug was 3 places better than me. I think he will agree, neither of us had our A game today.

Nice race though. I recommend it to people next year. Did go to Gritty McDuff's after which has a nice beer garden/porch for lunch.
Last edited by jraguin on Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
onegeardoug
Chasseur

Re: Lake Auburn

Post by onegeardoug »

The course was great, 11 miles of mostly false flat with 2 climbs. The king of the wall climb isn't long enough to be selective, nor are the stair step climbs about 2 miles from the finish. As a result, the entire group stayed together for a mass Sprint finale.

One exception is at the end of lap 2 on the stair steps, some guy tried to ride away. John had told me to watch out for him, so I took it seriously when I saw him going and tried to go with 3 others to get his wheel. Just as we made it, I exploded and I couldn't hang anymore. I sat up and looked back; the pointy tip of the group was only 30 or 40 feet behind me. I let them ride through me and got on the back to recover.

The 4 man break stayed away for less than half a lap. I think the instigator was the only one working. After we caught them, he continued to pull the entire peloton for the rest of the final lap. I pipped him at the line as the sprint was raging forward and he was fading.

The Sprint seemed to happen in slow motion for me. I was about 12 th or 15th with 1k to go, but it didn't seem that fast. Guys were elbowing each other and being all aggro, and I felt like I was just spectating. I wound it up and put in a respectable effort; for 12th I think. I could have gone a little harder for a slightly better finish, but for some reason it didn't seem worth the effort.
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Re: Lake Auburn

Post by JeremyC »

If you threw in some headbutts you probably could have cracked the top 10...