Baystate Saturday

Race reports
onegeardoug
Chasseur

Baystate Saturday

Post by onegeardoug »

Day 1 at Sterling was much like last year: a long/hard run-up, the horse jump, a bunch of twisties with some off-camber and set of fast barriers with a quick remount to an up-hill, off-camber stretch. I brought my mom and sister out to see their first cross race, and I think they enjoyed watching me suffer. I started with a 4th row call-up and the parade lap was a welcome addition to string out the field before the run-up. I had a relatively good start and passed a bunch of guys. I probably came out of the first run-up melee in 25th. Then I just suffered much of the race, struggling just to stay on someone's wheel. I handled the bike well though, avoided a pile-up with 2 to go and generally rode the turns faster than the guys I was around. I finished 30th out of 60-70 starters. Not bad. But no points. Thanks again to all who cheered.

Immediately after crossing the finish line, I felt a tightness in my left calf/knee. The tendon running up the back of my knee is very tender to the touch and it hurts to walk and/or move it. I've been icing it and taking liquid painkiller, with no improvement. I have to believe it's a consequence of the cold. I warmed up well on the bike, but that probably didn't mean much for the muscles used on the run-up. At this point, I think I'm a DNS for tomorrow. Maybe a good night's sleep will help.
Smudger
Tête de la course

Re: Baystate Saturday

Post by Smudger »

Looks like this will be my last CX race report of the season. Writing this one on the plane to Mexico thanks to Google chrome for free in flight wi-fi.

No call up and signed up late'ish so had a 7th row start.was a little cncerned with the softening track track conditions so deciided to line up on the outside. It was a good call but almost a disaster. Junior 2 rows in front of me puts his head down and sprints straight into a course stake. He goes right, his bike goes left and I manage to go right through the middle. So 10 seconds into the race and I'm already thanking my lucky stars. Make the right call to run the turn behind the practice wall and am happy to be in the hunt for a change since I cat'd up. I decided in the pre-ride to race in the big ring. Othe than the run up there was nothing that needed the small ring so it wasn't worth changing down. Worked well for me. Managed to stay in touch longer with the front part of the race. Slid back a bit until Matt's mate Joe T passed me on the 2nd lap I jumped on his wheel and we proceeded to switch places back and forth for the rest of the race until I bobbled the turn at the back of the practice wall on the last lap. I was totally gubbed at this point and couldn't catch back. I made a total hash of barriers and let the guy behind close a little on me but I had enough left to make sure he didn't even think about a sprint. 33'd out of 68 finishers so top 50%. Happy with that.

Loved the course was able to ride the corners pretty smooth and other than the bobble and barriers on the last lap the only trouble (other than my evaporating fitness) was getting the mud out my cleats after the run up.

It's been a great season. Got to know a lot of new club members since Quad Cross. Will be taking my chances in the 35's next year. Now it's time to start thinking about Battenkill.
steen
Domestique

Post by steen »

Smudger - Why not Ice Weasels? It'll be a ton o' fun. Then you can take a nice kip till Battekill...
You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day.
~Daniel Behrman
swawersik
Chasseur

Post by swawersik »

First off, sorry to hear about your knee, Doug - hope it recovers quickly.

Second, congrats to all the guys in the early races who had banner days: I know that Pierso, Abel, John, Mark, & Sweeny all posted solid results.

For me, Saturday was another step on the comeback trail. Having been traveling for a week (why can't LifeCycle make a seat that is not wider than my couch?) and coming back to craziness at home that I would never wish on anyone, I had modest expectations. Despite a front row start, I had trouble staying with the front group, partly due to lack of fitness and partly due to the cold, so I made the decision to ride within myself and limit the damage. While I found it frustrating that I wasn't able to close gaps on the power sections like I could in early October, I felt like my handling was vastly improved, and despite a couple of notable mistakes (I kept thinking I could ride the slick uphill after the barriers, only to lose traction as I made the turn), I was pretty happy with that aspect of my race. I had a bit of satisfaction, and hopefully an indication of returning fitness, on the last lap when I got gapped from my group on the post-barrier run up, but managed to catch back on going into the final uphill section before the track then come around at the end to take a three-up sprint. Yeah, it was for 23rd, but I'll take the small victory.

On day 2, I used some embrocation in an effort to avoid the dead legs on lap 1, and was more disciplined about warm up. I again got gapped from the front group a bit at the start, but caught back on through the gravelly power sections on the lower part of the course, and, to my surprise, stayed tacked on the back of that group all the way to the high point on the course, while feeling pretty good. However, I then put on an impressive display of luge skills going down the steep off camber hill. By the time I climbed back up to my bike and got going again, I was solidly mid pack and sliding back as I recovered from the thumping. I was pretty happy with the race I rode once my head cleared and my body got over the shock, again battling with a group until the end, but this time getting pipped at the line in the final sprint. I have no idea what mediocre place that sprint was for, as I had to get home quickly due to family obligations.

In all, I'm satisfied with my progress in returning, and hoping it'll continue for a few more weeks while the rest of you slowly burn out ;)
onegeardoug
Chasseur

Post by onegeardoug »

Cat 4 and Cat 4 35+ were littered with MRC racers in the Top 20. Nice racing this weekend guys!

I'm sorry that I missed it, but I had family responsibilities...
taudep
Chasseur

Post by taudep »

I only raced on Sunday.

But couldn't help but notice that Matt has been coming on solid each week, getting betterand better. Mark V., too. On Sunday, Matt was racing for third position, then got knocked back to 7th, and then somehow rode back into third position only to crash on the steep, icy descent on the final lap. I think he still ended up with two top 10s for the weekend.

And Mark V had a good race on Sunday. That course was designed for a guy with mountain bike handling skills like him. He ended up 6th in the Master's 35+ 4 race.

Props to PJ for not crashing during his race. Though, it probably helped because I wasn't on his wheel, or in his race. The Sunday course was one of the most challenging I've ridden in my short CX career. It was twisty, and the slick surface conditions made it a nail biter. Lots of slick off camber. Tricky off-camber remounts. Then there was that tricky descent that ate people up left and right.

I finished 16th. I had a great start and was riding well even a lap in. I was on some guys wheel right after the tricky descent and into the woods. He took a bad line, which I followed. At the last second he dodged around a tree. I clipped it with my shoulders and it sent me flying over the bars and as I recovered people rode by me. I heard an encouraging "get back on that bike" as Paul D rode by. We ended up attacking each other the rest of the race and he beat me by a bike length at the line, knocking me out of the top 25%. Grrr. Nemesis. Next year. More watts, less time in the kitchen.

I have the feeling that we're going to have a lot of Cat 3s racing cross next year.
I'm 20PoundSkull at cyclowhat.com.
Steve Wright
Domestique

Post by Steve Wright »

Good to see some of you this weekend. I decided to race solely because I was home and the race was nearby. I hadn't been on a bike more than once (Mansfield 'cross race) since mid September so I had little expectations. I didn't get lapped either day so that was good and I had fun. Looks like everyone on MRC suddenly got super faster while I was gone which was great to see. Time to get back on the bike and get ready for next season.
You don't need to see the entire staircase.
PJ McQuade
Chasseur

Post by PJ McQuade »

taudep wrote: The Sunday course was one of the most challenging I've ridden in my short CX career. It was twisty, and the slick surface conditions made it a nail biter. Lots of slick off camber. Tricky off-camber remounts. Then there was that tricky descent that ate people up left and right.
Agreed. Not my style at all. I did Saturday last season and liked the course a lot. Did Sunday only this year and did not like. Good to see all the nice MRC results.
To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first.
-Shakespeare
RPerson
Chasseur

Post by RPerson »

I'll agree with PJ and Todd... I should have just packed up and went home when I pre-rode the course, but then again it is cross so it's all good. I was pleased overall with how I drove the bike except for a couple minor incidents. I should have been lapped early and often on a course like that and the way I felt overall so I'll call it a moral victory to only get lapped by the top 2 and only late in their final lap. If it hadn't been for me going down hard on the off camber up and down over by the pits with 2 to go I might have held them off. Fun (and scary) to know that your competition every weekend is multiple current and former national champions, but that's what makes you better right?

I'm skipping NBX, but doubling up at The Weasel and I'm on the fence for Fitchburg. I'll see how busy I am and then decide.
Cheer of the 2008 season: "Don't suck!"
http://idonotplayhoops.blogspot.com