Loon Mtn

Race reports
onegeardoug
Chasseur

Loon Mtn

Post by onegeardoug »

2 words: Freaking Hard!

The course was basically shaped like a half-pipe; uphill on both ends, with lots of tarmac between. One set of barriers, one natural obstacle and one nasty run-up. The uphills were long, and got steeper as you climbed. The descents were steep, coming down the slopes like a slalom course and the morning dew/fog made them greasy as snot. And to add to the difficulty, the grass was rough and bumpy like Wrentham. There was little opportunity to recover even when dropping/sliding like a stone down the hill. As Adam said, probably the hardest course of the year. I suffered like a dog and got 6th out of 37ish. Basically, the same guys in front of me and behind me.

I heard that Adam needed 300 racers to break even. Considering that only 179 pre-Reg'ed...I'd be shocked if he got 200. The only thing that was more lightly attended than the race was the NorEaster in general. Considering what a great warm sunny day it was, and how beautiful the setting is...I was surprised. I'm guessing the whole event lost big coin. As I was sitting in the grass listening to tunes, eating a burger, I was so content that I nearly decided to stay all day, listen to tunes, drink beer...and blow-off SBC. I didn't...but I almost wish I had. 8-)
Bruce
Tête de la course

Re: Loon Mtn

Post by Bruce »

That's really a shame. Would you say they're barking up the wrong tree with that course?
irusk
Chasseur

Post by irusk »

That's too bad. That part of the white mountains is so beautiful this time of year, and I'd think they could have made a better course with the acres they have to work with. I was tempted to register, but when I looked at the course on-line, then red about it, I decided to pass.

Waterville Valley is probably a better site. Lot's of great wide skate ski track through the woods that they could use.
"There is no charge for awesomeness" - Po
steen
Domestique

Post by steen »

With regards to the low turnout - EMS evidently bailed Adam out due to the orginization of his group. Big props to Adam and JD for running, as always, a top notch event. People who had never seen a cx race before were blown away by what was going down.
I loved the course even though my legs didn't - perfect biatch slap of a first race! Besides, cross isn't supposed to be easy!
3 huge highlights from the day
1. Watching Manny claw back into the fray - that lil' man was spelunking sooo far into the pain cave it was unreal. As Ron said very Jens, and that is no hyperbole - it was totally unreal, and I had too much fun screaming with Ron for Manny to move up, which he did in droves. Nice showing Manny.
2. Hanging with Mark and Doug also meeting Chip Baker in the real world. Chilling in the sun after a hard effort enjoying a beautiful venue.
3. Capping the evening off watching the Walkmen perform an epic set of tunes on a great evening.
I'll go back next year no question.
You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day.
~Daniel Behrman
steen
Domestique

Post by steen »

Cool Video of the 1/2/3 race:

http://vimeo.com/15290172
You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're having a good day.
~Daniel Behrman
SFC
Lanterne Rouge

Post by SFC »

It sounds like a great time, I will make plans for next year for sure.

Ron that's brilliant and well done. Manny's result confirms that he is one of the top riders in New England and you have had a huge hand in that so
well done to you too Ron for all your support and hardwork. You are a good Dad that's for sure.

I'm sure this result will pay off big during the upcoming season.

Tim
taudep
Chasseur

Post by taudep »

Ron thanks for the write-up. BIg props to Manny, sounds like an exciting race and and a hard ride!
I'm 20PoundSkull at cyclowhat.com.
Rob
Chasseur

Post by Rob »

Ron,

People took noticed, people were talking about Manny's race at Sucker Brook.
I heard all about it on sunday from a couple of elite riders.
michaelcole
Tête de la course

Post by michaelcole »

@Ron/Manny

WOW!!! That's freakin awesome. But no longer surprising.
I wan't to say "imagine if he hadn't had the mechanical" but that might just be what lit the fire for him. He's such a fighter that he may have finished better BECAUSE of the setback. Where many racers would have just given up. As always, I'm impressed and totally proud to know him.