Hard Knox HS

Race reports
BTurner
Chasseur

Hard Knox HS

Post by BTurner »

The topic says race reports and since my cross bike has a throttle here it is. I know some of you environmentalist will not agree with me on the need for speed but these races are held on private land and on a closed course.

After last weekends spill at the Unadilla GNCC, I was hesitant on heading out to Westfield for this one. With my right leg showing more colors than a rainbow I decided to take the chance. I hoped the rain in the middle of the week would keep the moon dust to a minimum and the start would suite my damaged leg.

As with all Hare Scramble the dead engine start usually sends you down a short stretch into a hard right or hard left. In my case I was hoping for a left as there was no way I was sticking my right leg out into mayhem. I got to the course, unloaded the bike, went through tech and signed up. I then had a little time to scout the start. Yup, the start was a hard right. Starting to look like a training ride.

As I staged for the start a lot of things were going through my mind. One of which is if I left now I could catch the start of the Pats game. With my leg throbbing from tightness caused by the extra padding placed behind my shin guard, I decided it would be wise to bag the start. When the flag dropped I gave the KTM a half kick knowing what the result would be. As the field left, I quickly gave my steed a full kick and off I went at the back of the pack

For the first two miles of the 7-mile course there was pileup after pileup. I was in no rush to get around these. As things settled down I found my lines and felt comfortable enough to make some gentle passes. After one of these passes I grabbed a bit to much front brake on a downhill, washed out, and fell right on my leg. I thought that would be it. To my surprise there was no ringing pain from the shin and I continued. I came across the line on the first lap in 7th in a field of maybe 8.

On lap two my right leg starting giving my right hand (throttle hand) a little encouragement. As the moon dust and loose rocks started to increase, somehow things seemed to get smooth for me and I finished lap two in fourth. And so it went for the third and fourth laps.

By lap five, the final lap, I knew the podium was close. I decided to push as I did at Unadilla and hoped the result would be different. Although a NETRA race is only 2+ hours long, it is much more technical and strength draining than most of the 3+ hour GNCC’s. It should also be noted by lap five the course was covered in 4-6 inches of fine sillty moon dust. I could only hope the KTM would not blow.

A mile into the final lap I caught my marker. He looked drained and there was no fight for the position. Instead of telling myself to be smooth, I opted for the opposite and told my self to go fast. I rode smooth but did not even catch a glimpse of second. I crossed the line in third B Senior, a result I am please with.

I did ride with some old MRC socks as underliners if that helps.
rusto
Maillot Jaune

Re: Hard Knox HS

Post by rusto »

Bill, congrats on the put-put podium!
- Russ, MRC webmaster

#DONTRIDETHATRUSS
Rob
Chasseur

Post by Rob »

AWESOME!
but i have one question:
how do you shoulder the Bike?
Smudger
Tête de la course

Post by Smudger »

Nice one Bill
taudep
Chasseur

Post by taudep »

Congratulations. Braaap...
I'm 20PoundSkull at cyclowhat.com.
pace21
Maillot Jaune

Post by pace21 »

Love the report Bill. I know your pain. Been there many times. It's absolutely a different kind of pain cave from cycling, but the cave runs just as deep......

And I swear some of the guys at the big cx races actually do have throttles on their bikes :)