Purgatory Cat5

Race reports
onegeardoug
Chasseur

Purgatory Cat5

Post by onegeardoug »

Cat 5 35+ had me, Jeremy, John and 47 other guys. First lap was quite tame, but shed about 15-20 riders. I felt good on the Lackey climb so I tested my legs and found myself with a gap over the top. Sat up and waited for the group. Second lap, neutralized due to a crash in the women's race. Ten minutes or so of standing around, and just before Lackey hill. Rolling, and still feeling good, so I tested my legs and found myself with a gap again over the top, this time a bit bigger. I'm just kinda cruising and someone bridged up, so I asked if he wanted to make a go of it. He said yes, but on the Mendon climb, it was obvious he didn't have it. By then the group of 25 or so was chasing hard and closing, so I sat up and waited. Final lap, John took a really good, hard pull by the lake heading toward Lackey and winnowed the field down to about 15. I'm not sure why he decided to drill it there, but it ultimately hurt his finish and definitely helped me by making the race harder before the final climb. He put Jeremy into a bit of difficulty, but he was on the tail-end of the leaders at the turn up Lackey. Obviously, I'm feeling good, so my plan is to get a gap up the hill and not leave it to a sprint. Right turn onto Lackey, I'm at the front, out of the saddle and going pretty hard, but not red-lined. Built a gap of 15-20 meters, so on the second steep pitch I went even harder. Hit 196 on my HRM, which isn't quite pegged for me but darn close. Now I've got a larger gap, and John tells me afterwards that the other guys started looking at each other...basically conceding that they weren't going to bring me back and now thinking about 2nd place. The "666' feet of elevation" sign tricked me a bit, but the 500m sign wasn't too much farther. Click, click, big ring, drilling it and Moto-official-gal is right next to me. I can hear her say "Cat 5 leader is at 200 meters". I'm not leaving it to chance, though, so I'm still drilling it until about 50m to go. I won with a sizable gap, probably 100-150m. Moto-official-gal is still right next to me at the line and says "Nice job". The only thing that would have been cooler is if Graham Watson was hanging off the back of it clicking away with his camera....and if there were podium girls...and cash. Instead I got some guy named Kyle and a $75 gift card to Landry's. C'est la vie.

John finished 7th and Jeremy in 14th. I think John could have saved a few places had he not taken the big pull before the hill, but it definitely helped me, so "props" to him. Good showing for the club. We had a plan and worked it during the race. It wasn't perfect, but the result was. Thanks guys! :D
swawersik
Chasseur

Re: Purgatory Cat5

Post by swawersik »

SWEET! Huge congratulations - that was a brutally hard course.
michaelcole
Tête de la course

Post by michaelcole »

:D Sandbagger. ;)

Nice job. I was waiting for a different ending after admitting that you peacocked on the first two Lacky climbs. Surprised that anyone let you out of their sight after that. You must have really crushed people because I'm sure they were ready and waiting for you to hit it again the third time.
PJ McQuade
Chasseur

Post by PJ McQuade »

Doug, way to go!! Looks like the 4s will have yet another strong rider. I heard Len had a solid day too in the Master 45s. Saw him sitting in a good position but I had to leave before the last lap.

Steve Wright and I did the Cat 3s. My report can be summed up in 4 words: Shelled. Off. The. Back. Blew up early, never got my heart rate down. Time for a break - I'm cooked. Steve went for it all on lap 2 like a champ and took off in a 2-man break. He was eventually caught - but valiant effort! I'm sure he'll share later.

I'm biased since I ride these great course roads all the time (wouldn't have know it today) but I must say this is already a classic. Sweet debut. This coming from a guy who got dropped like a bad habit! Definitely a lot of MRC today. Good to see. Reports please... :)
To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first.
-Shakespeare
Steve Wright
Domestique

Post by Steve Wright »

Congrats to all the cat 5s on an awesome race! Seems like we might have a full cat 3 team someday...

As PJ said the cat 3 race kicked the crap out of us all. We started off fast from the beginning with people taking fliers off the front. My only hope for the race was to race hard and see what happened. I didn't expect a great finish, but I hoped to have a strong showing to follow up sunapee. I went with the early attacks but nothing materialized. The second time up the hill I decided to have a little fun and make things interesting. I figured it was worth the risk considering my goals for the race. One guy came with me and we got a nice gap quickly. We worked pretty well together and eventually worked to a gap of 1:20. We lost about half of that up the finishing climb the next lap and I got dropped by the other kid. I caught back on over the hill but we were cooked. Stayed away for another 5 miles or so before getting caught. I guess some guy countered and solo'd for the win, though I don't think anyone realized it until the last lap. When we hit the finishing climb the last time up I had nothing and cruised into the finish a little bit off the back. Not extremely happy with the result, but happy with the way I raced which was the goal. Now it's time to go back to Tri season for a bit. Congrats to all.
You don't need to see the entire staircase.
Len_E
Peloton

Post by Len_E »

Doug, great stuff and Jeremy and John, great MRC representation. Hell of a day and a monster course.
-Len
rusto
Maillot Jaune

Post by rusto »

Great job, guys!
- Russ, MRC webmaster

#DONTRIDETHATRUSS
carlshimer
Chasseur

Post by carlshimer »

Doug - that's awesome. I knew you had some climbing skills from the FMR but... jeeze. The purgatory course is HARD. Something is working if you are able to get in the big ring on lackey... :)
RFollansbee
Peloton

Post by RFollansbee »

Doug - Once again, great race. A win on that course is an accomplishment. Len - amazing ride against that field. You would love Housatonic (which is today).

My race: first lap was the hardest lap I did this year. I guess that's why they told us 50% of the field was gone after the first trip up Lackey. The hardest part of the course for me was actually the false flat through the finish where the field pinned it each time to reach the downhill on Putnam Hill Rd. 2nd lap we were told we were down to 30 guys before the descent on Mendon. More must have caught back on by Whitins Rd however. I saw Bill, Chris and John so it seemed like we were in good shape. 3rd time up Lackey I popped and lost contact but was on Chris' wheel over the top. He put in a monster pull through the finish line to get me back near the pack onto Mendon. On Mendon John rode up alongside and we caught on by Barnett Rd. I knew the effort to catch back on would take its toll but hoped we would take it easy until Lackey. John and I were near the back of the pack and as we turned onto the road leading to Lackey I told John I was done. As soon as we hit Lackey everyone gunned it and I just rode at a maintainable pace to the finish. John and I finished back to back probably in the upper 20's to low 30's. The hardest race I did this year. Battenkill seemed easy (until Stage Rd at least) compared to the pace here. As PJ mentioned, for as many times as I ride those roads it is a completely different experience doing it at race pace for 40 miles. Great race, great roads, great organization. I'll be back. Time for more beers and more MTB'ing!
RFollansbee
Peloton

Post by RFollansbee »

jraguin
Tête de la course

Post by jraguin »

Doug's race summary pretty much matches the story right. The only thing I would add is that Doug and I agreed to really push it at the uphill turn onto Torrey Road. I couldn't tell as I was drilling it at the front, but I think that move really shattered the lead pack. This and my pushing on the final lap really did set up Doug for the win. So teamwork works, and I am very happy for Doug.

I felt really good pretty much the entire race. Front 10 wheels the whole race. But I think that was my undoing. It caused me to be antsy. On the final lap, I was in the front 5 wheels the whole way, and after taking the turn onto Barnett Road, I just started ratcheting up the pressure. There were two other guys pushing it with me, some guy from Glascow Scotland (Smudger!), and another guy from Housatonic Hills club. But I ended up doing most of the work from there to the turn on Lackey Road. I was in the lead with the guy from Housatonic Hills when we took the final turn onto Lackey Road. Then I just didn't have it as I used too much energy before.

Before the race, if you told me I was going to get 7th, I would be happy with it. But now, I am now a bit mad at myself. I hate getting passed at the end like that. Some of it was mental (after Doug and a couple of other guys went by me like I was standing still) and some physical (I felt spent and out of fluids). I think the next race I may be a d*$k and just sit and never do anything until the end.

On the race overall, definitely loved it. It is on my calendar for next year, but by then, we will be in the 4s.

John R.
Last edited by jraguin on Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce
Tête de la course

Post by Bruce »

John,
This winter I was doing an indoor ride with a guy named Skip Foley. You might not know him but he's 46 and still does Pro-3 crits. He won Nats a couple years ago and has won probably 100 races. For our indoor session we were watching a video -- "Race Day" -- in which Robbie Ventura wears a head cam and mic while racing Downer's Grove crit...an NRC race. Robbie took lots of pulls and stayed near the front all race, responding to every move. In the final couple laps two guys in orange jerseys established themselves at the front...and actually finished the race 1,2. We all enjoyed it for the entertainment value.......but Skip saw something else...he said "notice you didn;t see those two guys at the front once during the race."..............

If you go through the Bike Reg results for any given month, you're going to find that some very high percentage (~90%) of races are decided by a field sprint. You do not owe the pack anything. You owe your team something -- but only if someone on it can really spend and make good on any investment of energy you make. So you're not being a d@*k...you're being a smart bike racer. And trust me......when you get past the 4s and into the 3s or masters...you'll need BOTH your fitness and your discipline!

If you want mental reinforcement for this watch the movie 'PRE' with Donald Sutherland in it about Steve Prefontaine.
Smudger
Tête de la course

Post by Smudger »

Great job Doug time for the 4s

Len, your result is amazing. RE: Bruces mail you actually beat Skip Foley yesterday.

My race can be summed up like the end of Scooby Doo episode "I might have got away with it if it wasn't for those pesky kids". All the college kids back from school and the high school kids with McKormack genetics killed us on Lackey. The course felt like it should have been good for me but yesterday I just didn't have it. I think I checked out mentally after Connecticut. Time for some R&R.
carlshimer
Chasseur

Post by carlshimer »

heh... when I lived in Chicago I used to ride with the guy who produced those Robbie Ventura videos. Check out http://www.realrides.tv
rusto
Maillot Jaune

Post by rusto »

Smudger wrote:My race can be summed up like the end of Scooby Doo episode "I might have got away with it if it wasn't for those pesky kids".
LMAO!
- Russ, MRC webmaster

#DONTRIDETHATRUSS
michaelcole
Tête de la course

Post by michaelcole »

John,
You're supposed to start it off with: "Dag-nabbit"
BTurner
Chasseur

Post by BTurner »

Doug and Len awsome job. I popped on the third time up Lacky. Maybe we can start toying with the idea of a cat 4 35+ for Sterling.
rusto
Maillot Jaune

Post by rusto »

Len: give us some details on your race!
- Russ, MRC webmaster

#DONTRIDETHATRUSS
pace21
Maillot Jaune

Post by pace21 »

Cat 4 race: Went into the race with 2 goals -- 1. maintain contact with the front end of the field the first 3 times over Lackey, and 2. help Rob and Smudger any way I could on the final lap, whether it was to move them up in the field, help pull the field back to a break, etc.

Over the first 30 miles, I sort of accomplished the first goal. I redefined 'contact' each lap, as each lap got progressively harder and harder to chase back on after Lackey. It was mentioned before, but it's worth noting because it was a good lesson -- the pinch points of a race are not always obvious. We all pretty much identified the Lackey Road climb and the Mendon Road climb as being decisive. What was not at all obvious was just how difficult the 1/4 mile or so false flat by the finish line would be. In pre-riding the course the last few weeks, every time up Lackey we would crest and then slow down. In the race, it was more like crest and then drill it for another 2-3 minutes before turning onto Mendon Road. Ouch.

The third time up Lackey is where goal #2 was enacted. I crested the climb, and both Rob and Smudger were behind me, and there was probably 200 meters up to the main field. Many thoughts went through my head, but mainly it was "Huh, Rob and John are both better climbers than me, and they are presently behind me, and in front of me is a massive gap up to the main field. This is not good." So I said the heck with it, I'll give it one more dig to try to drag those guys up to the field on the false flat before the downhill. Didn't quite make it, but I did succeed in imploding myself more spectaculary than maybe ever. Through their own effort they were able to catch back on further down the road.

After the implosion a funny thing happened, I slowed way down, got caught by a CLR guy who was also straggling, and we 2 man TT'ed it around until we swept up Rich from the 45's, and then Rich and I let CLR guy go and we slowed a little and Bill caught on. Bill and I finished together, but interestingly we weren't passed by any 4's on the last lap. So for all the effort of pulling Rob and Smudger across the false flat and practically dying, it didn't really cost me any additional spots. In hindsight, on the false flat it may have been better to organize a rotating chase but take most of the pulls rather than 1 all out effort. There were a few other guys there who may have helped. Don't know.

Bill -- I hope you you are dead freakin' serious about a Cat 4 35+ race next year at Sterling. I think this sport needs a "B" Masters race more than anything to keep it vibrant (even if it's a 3/4 35+ -- thinking about some 3's like Coley and Rich M.).
swawersik
Chasseur

Post by swawersik »

My day in hell (Purgatory, actually)

Goals: Very realistic: 1. finish 2. Make it up Lackey Rd. with the main pack at least once 3. Do what I can to help Rob and Smudger (likely not much)

To accomplish #2, I knew I needed to be near the front on the first Lackey climb so that I could sag as much as possible. I did a good job getting there early on, making some savvy moves in the neutral zone, but less than 500 m after the start, some guy managed to put his chain in his spokes (not sure how), locking up his wheel and sending me into the gutter to avoid him. After coming to a near standstill on the steepest part of the hill, I used up all my sag getting back on to the pack. Was able to move up some after the downhill, but was still in the back half of the pack as we neared Lackey.

100 m before the climb, some guy behind me says "Small ring now, guys, or you'll die." Right turn and BOOM! the race explodes - riders moving backwards everywhere. I managed to stay close to the pack, but without any room to sag it was a losing battle. Ended up in a chase group of 12(?) which worked pretty efficiently, with the exception of one BRC guy who just couldn't figure out how to rotate through. We could see the tail end of the pack a few times on Whitins road, but couldn't close the gap. To add insult to injury, I then dropped my chain at the top of the gradual climb up Manchaug Rd. From there it was a training ride with the crit riders.

Huge props to Doug and Len for amazing finishes on a super hard course.

Kudos also to Green Line Velo. That scrappy bunch of college kids put on a great race, which I hope will become a fixture on the New England calendar, despite how hard it kicked my ass. I also got a chuckle out of the "Welcome to Elevation 666'" sign they put up on the Lackey climb.
Len_E
Peloton

Post by Len_E »

Rich and I raced the Masters 45+ with a pretty large field. Rich provided sage advice at the start: memorize the finish line ("you have 4 chances to figure it out"), stay close to the top guys ("Joe Rano wants to win this one so stay to his wheel ") and avoid pulling ("don't be an idiot" or something to that effect).
At the whistle, Rich immediately went to the front while I hung back assuming 'neutral start' meant neutral. It didn't and I found myself at the back of the race by the time the race started. Luckily we hit a hill right away and I got close to the front. We apparently shed a good number of riders the first lap. The pace was fast and after each climb there was an attack. Some time during the 2nd lap a guy took off and either few people knew it (me and a bunch in the lead pack) or those who did, didn't think he could sustain it. He did and we never saw him again. Speaking with him at the end of the race he said it was far less intense riding alone at the front than being in the pack because he expected to get caught and figured he'd just ride hard but not kill himself.
During the 3rd lap someone yelled "you're only 2:30 back" and that was the first I knew of the guy who broke away. 2:30 didn't seem impossible but after hearing that no one made a move to organize a chase. Thus the battle for 2nd began and it made for a pretty furious last 2 laps. In the 3rd lap a big guy took off just after the descent and by the time we swept onto the roller section he was out of sight. I found out later it was Skip Foley. While there was no real effort to pull him back, the intensity increase. Every climb was pushed hard by the climbers and immediately after the climb the first ones over just took off. There was no recovery because the descent became very intense, getting faster and faster with elbows out at 45 mph and blasting through the false flats and slight inclines during the descent. After the descent there was a sweeping right that went into a climb and then a series of uncomfortable rollers. Each one triggered an attack and the team thing really started to work at this point. The GearWorks guys had the most bodies and some serious racers - Paul Curley and Rano appeared to be the leaders. One or the other would lead the pack, now whittled to about 15 guys or so, and then the other would blast by from the middle of the pack. If no one followed, the other, who had been pulling would stop pedaling. I'd look around expecting a chase group and nothing happened. I'd wait for an incline or a corner and take off after him, closely followed by the teammate and the rest of the pack. As soon as we were back together another attack would come and we'd go through the same thing again. This happened 6 or seven times with me as the only chaser but ending up pulling the rest of the pack. There were other attacks but they seemeed to have 3 or 4 guys in them.
By the time we got to the Lackey road climb on the 4th lap, we caught Foley who apparently had popped.
When we crested the hill, still with 15 guys or so, Foley miraculously was back and in the front of the group. The last lap was a more of the same with the GearWorks guys sending one or another and now with Foley busting past with one or two guys in tow. There were probably 8 or 9 guys doing the work and all appeared to have teammmates except for Foley and me. Even though we were a fairly small group, things seemed to get tight and we were elblow to elbow heading up Lackey for the final time. I felt good but had no idea what I would need to stay with whatever break materialized. I didn't have to wait long. Rano and two guys went off right away with Rano letting the other guys push the pace. I stayed close but my quads were cramping with every up stroke. Then two guys fly past as we got to the 500 meter sign and midway up the climb. Rano went again with his guys and the other two went with them with me on their wheel. Out of nowhere, two other guys come flying past as we neared the top of the hill for the final 100 meters or so. I'm not sure what happened and who was where but I found myself about 5th with 50 meters to go and managed to sprint past 2 of them for a 4th place finish. Pretty happy with the outcome.
-Len
rusto
Maillot Jaune

Post by rusto »

Terrific!
- Russ, MRC webmaster

#DONTRIDETHATRUSS
taudep
Chasseur

Post by taudep »

Great race reports. Congrats to all the spectacular finishes.

We might have to create a forum FAQ of all of Smudger's great quotes, and to explain to the new members what "spanners" are.
I'm 20PoundSkull at cyclowhat.com.
onegeardoug
Chasseur

Post by onegeardoug »

Len: That's a great finish in any race, but an AMAZING finish in the 45+ Masters with the competition that you were up against. Well done.
michaelcole
Tête de la course

Post by michaelcole »

Len,
You're an animal.
That's a seriously impressive performance. Those guys are all 1's and 2's. (And Curley who is very careful to limit his categorized points so that he can remain a 3.)