Purgatory Cat5

Race reports
rmazzola
Domestique

Re: Purgatory Cat5

Post by rmazzola »

Doug - great job.

Len - you've arrived brother.

This was one of the hardest races I think I've ever done. I went into it with full knowledge that it didn't suit me but was looking for some intense training miles. Well - I definitely got that. Spent most it in the second chase group trying to regain the field but honestly - I'm glad we didn't. Kept passing the discarded remnants of those who tried to hang in there - the carnage was epic. I ultimately decided to call it a day after the 4th time around and rode in with Bill Turner and Chris who swept me up as I was enjoying the scenery before heading up Lackey Rd for the last time.

Hats off to everyone who took part!
Mmmm....pizza.
jraguin
Tête de la course

Post by jraguin »

Full disclosure is that I went riding with Len, PJ, and others on Purgatory a few weeks before the race. I saw what Len could do going up the Lackey road hill. He was just an animal on that hill. I secretly wondered if I was burnt out or was Len that strong. I am glad to know the real answer. Len, you are a beast. Great race.

One more comment on the Cat 5 35+ race. Doug was "the man of the match" in that race. Every lap, all the time, he looked like the man to beat. Even if I had rode better tactically, Doug would have won. I honestly think in hindsight that Doug could have won that race under any tactical scenario. Jeremy would attest to that as well I bet.

John R
Len_E
Peloton

Post by Len_E »

Thanks guys. I felt good all morning and the course suited me well. I also love hot weather so it didn't hurt, mentally, to see the mercury climb and other riders shrink.
To the Cat 5 35+ guys, a neighbor of mine raced with you guys and finished 10th. I can't remember his exact quote but he said something like, '"your teammates ripped the field apart. There was no way anyone was competing with MRC because they worked so well together." This was great to hear and it's a testament to your planning, preparation and excellent execution. Congrats to all the Cat 5s showing great team skills.
Bruce
Tête de la course

Post by Bruce »

Len NIE,

That's insane! I saw Foley at Wells Ave on Sunday and he mentioned that there was an animal from MRC out there. That is some serious company you toasted! That guy who won, Tom Francis, went stratospheric a few years ago winning all kinds of 35+ races. I can't believe he's 45 :oops: The guy you came in right behind, Mark Gunsalus, won the 45+ Verge cross series last year!!!!!!

Its awesome you survived the Gearworks & Arc en ciel one two punches.

I don't want to put any pressure on your or anything, but you should think about going to Nationals.