Ice weasels

Race reports
artbaril
Domestique

Ice weasels

Post by artbaril »

A great way to end the season. Fun course, loud spectator area and some hilarious p.a announcing, plus I got to bring my Basset hound.

The course was a mix of 80% snow 10% ice and 10% grass and mud. There were 2 hoppable barriers, but I tried to hop one in warm-ups and went over the bars, so I rode convetionally. I handled the snow well and had a pretty good finish, but your finish in this race was determined largely by where you started. Only regret I had on the day was not being able to beat some jackass from Corner Cycle who I've seen acting like a jerk all year. Next year I'll single speed it.
Merry Christmas to you......IN JAIL!!!!
PJ McQuade
Chasseur

Re: Ice weasels

Post by PJ McQuade »

artbaril wrote:. I handled the snow well and had a pretty good finish, but your finish in this race was determined largely by where you started.
So you'd figure my nice little 3rd row start would have put me better than 30th! I didn't drop a chain all season until I dropped it 3x yesterday. This, combined with the face plant I did on the frozen tundra run-up (no spikes, rookie mistake) cost me quite a few spots. Ice Weasels seems more about the fun and less about the results, however, although Doug made out real well. Way to go! Such a fun event. The Harpoon (gone by noon!) pizza, heckling, beer/donut feeds, and overall madness all made for an awesome close to the season. Mountain bikes looked like the ride of choice IMA. Both the Cat 3 and 4 winners rode fat tires.
To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first.
-Shakespeare
michaelcole
Tête de la course

Post by michaelcole »

I wish there were more courses like this.
Bauer would call it a "driver's" course instead of a course for guys with lots of cardio-horsepower.
Luckily I am much more of the former than the latter these days.

I guess if the field was big then your start spot probably was pretty important but I had an ok time moving up in a race with only 30 something starters.
Tons of fun even though I almost choked to death on a cupcake hand-up and wiped out several times on the ice that was very polished by the time I got out there.
It was nice to have some fun on the jumpable singles but everytime I landed I was sure I was going to wipe out on the ice.

Thanks for sticking around in the cold and cheering while we played slip and slide for 15 laps.
RPerson
Chasseur

Post by RPerson »

If you can find a picture of me from the race you'll know how seriously I took this from a racing standpoint (the pictures probably didn't capture the playing card I had taped to my front fork rubbing the spokes). I should have been in the 3's race, but had to coach an 11 a.m. hoops game so I just got there in time for the 1/2/3 as it was. I was pleased to not get hurt, grab a couple of cupcake feeds, get a dollar donation from Bauer, and actually make up ground on people here and there going through corners. Outstanding way to end the season.
Cheer of the 2008 season: "Don't suck!"
http://idonotplayhoops.blogspot.com