Midnight Ride of Cyclocross

Race reports
remad
Peloton

Midnight Ride of Cyclocross

Post by remad »

This was my second cyclocross race, and having placed well at Hydra Cross last week meant that I had a much better starting postion 18/81 pre-reg'd (71 finishers on the results), Mike on the other hand had to start at the very back of the group, which meant a slow start for him. I didn't take the time to pre-ride the course, so I was going into the race not knowing what it was like. From the start/finish area I could see 2 different power sections, so I was hoping I could do well.

I am not used to going hard out of a starting line, so I lost ground out of the start of the race, probably entering the first turn around 25th instead of 18th, out of the first turn you enter a bunch of zigzags, but none that are technical, just turning, which meant it was difficult to pass someone, unless they made a real mistake. Soon we enter the sand pit, so much dust is being thrown up in the air that I can't see the person in front of me. I am expecting thick sand that tosses your bike around, so I enter it with some speed expecting that I might have to hop off part way through, it's not that type of sand. The sand was shallow and felt like riding on a normal dirt surface, the only issue was that the air was so thick with dust that I couldn't see anything. After the sand was a set of barriers followed by the first power section, with the power section being the part where I know I can make up ground and pass people I go hard passing 3-4 people, the last one just before the turn, I bump shoulders with him and he yells at me "Dude, it's only the first lap" and somebody else pipes in "Idiot!", I keep pedaling hard, the power section continues through the turn and I wan't to make up as much ground as possible. At the end of the power section was a series of zigzags on wood chips, I didn't like this, it felt like my front tire was constantly wanting to slip out from under me. Again after the wood-chips was another power section, this one was much longer than any other and slightly uphill, so I was able to push hard here and make up even more ground. One more sections of zigzags another barrier and then the final power section, the finishing straight.

The race ended up being 5 laps, and I was able to move up just a little each lap so that by the time the third lap ended, I was in first with a 5-10 second lead, the end of the fourth lap I had a 15-20 second lead and felt pretty good about my chances, coming to the last sections of zigzags I knew that my gap had grown even more, so I was able to take that section easier and enjoy riding across the line first.
ppereira
Domestique

Re: Midnight Ride of Cyclocross

Post by ppereira »

Didn't waste any time with the post? I don't blame you! It was nice "racing" with you, even though I finished 3mins back. I was staged 55th. I remember last year Midnight was the first race of the year where I felt good and this year was pretty similar, for some reason this course is one I get along pretty well on compared to some others. I think I got off to a pretty good start, was able to get past some people past the first wood chips and through the first section of the course and then kind of settled into following people in the sand area.

Second lap was good, sub 9mins. I was a bonehead on the third lap and was sloppy with jumping the barriers, somehow I kicked my bike and knocked my chain off, so that cost me time and spots. The fourth lap was a little slower due to following some slower guys through the technical sand area that made it hard to pass and I put together a solid last lap (my best time 8:55), only to get picked off at the line by a couple of B2C2 guys. Finished 37/71, possibly had a top 30 in me with how I was doing, but it was a pretty good showing for me. I keep defying the race predictor, but still on the hunt for those sub 500 points.

adding on: looks like I'm at 500.56 for my crossresults points, so close to sub 500, although I think that'll creep back up after the next race because a 487 result will fall off. Also my HR was settled at 173 the whole time, I was really cooking in the heat, normally if my HR is in the 170s it's because I'm in a vo2max effort
strat
Peloton

Post by strat »

Great job Rees...love how you didn't even pre-ride and you still won...you probably didn't warm up either!!

So....I was in the 3/4 at 6pm...Pre-rode then went back to car to warm up on trainer. I changed out the rear wheel for my other one with the file tread so that it would run smoother, warmed up then threw the other wheel back on. Problem...something is up with the rear caliper (mech disc) and I can't get the wheel into the drop outs...uh oh...still have 15 mins so I break out the tools and undo the cable clamp. Get the wheel in but pad is rubbing...even with the cable completely unclamped it's still binding a bit. Throw the other wheel on at as the disc is slightly thinner on that one but it's no better...5 mins to go...I could race with no front brake but not sure I can do it with no rear - plus the bloody thing is rubbing too. Reluctantly I unpin my number and make the walk of shame to the reg table...I don't have the stomach to watch the start so I head back to the car and drive home...pretty deflating!!

Cactus did offer me his pink rig but you've gotta be a real man to pull that off...plus I'd already surrendered my number!
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Post by JeremyC »

Rees - great report

Phil - decent report

Ian - terrible report
pace21
Maillot Jaune

Post by pace21 »

Rees good job saying screw you to USAC and diving right in to cat 4. Sounds like it was a good idea!
cbusick
Tête de la course

Post by cbusick »

It's pretty funny putting someone with the form Rees currently has into a 4 race where the only technical challenges are not loosing your teeth to flying rocks/sticks at the end of the hole shot and a little bit of mulch.

The only race I could do was the single-speed, but that's fine with me. I thought I'd show up and do some laps, mostly to recon the fairgrounds to make sure there aren't any surprises for our race like the river of sludge last year.

I debated all week on if I should put on the harder cog or leave the one on I used last year at Secret Squirrel. In the end I went with the big boy cog.
I actually got a surprisingly good start (for me) and was sitting around 15 or so with all my teeth after the hole shot. I was able to hold my place through the turns, but had to stand up out of the few turns that you couldn't peddle through to get back up on top of the gearing. Then we hit the power sections and I was able to pick off anyone who started with too easy a gear. Basically each lap was recoveryish from the sandpit until after the barriers, then hard charge to the mulch, a little recovery, then flat out from there until you get back to the sandpit again.

I caught and passed my nemesis Ed Parsons going by the start finish line with two laps to go. I threw everything at him to get a gap but it wasn't much. Then I had a mental lapse and wiped out on the second to last tree while thinking of crushing the start/finish straight to open the gap even more and maybe get him to give up. Ed closed the gap and got back in front of me. I passed him again on the straight after the mulch, but couldn't get him off my wheel, and in the end it came down to a silly single speed sprint. 160 RPM and he still edged me out at the line. Next time..
-Chris Busick
chrismitchell
Domestique

Post by chrismitchell »

Midnight Ride CAT4:
Some solid finishes from the end of last year/ beginning of this year had me with some decent points and a front row start. I had a solid start and ended up 4th wheel going into the first turn. Front row start was key to avoid being pelted by the debris at the end of the straightaway. I guess you could say they were wood chips but really it just a bunch of sticks and rocks. As we got moving there was a group of about 5 of us that separated off the front with a chase group of another 3 or 4. Going into the first set of barriers I was pleased with my position and felt good about my chances. As I remounted coming off of the barriers, I felt the boa strap let go on my right shoe. Not ideal, but also not unchartered territory. Last year at Really Rad the same thing happened, except Really Rad was so muddy that it was faster to run 25% of the course. So at least there were only a few dismounts that I had to worry about each lap. I decided that I'd pull off and check the strap once things spread out. Except that they never did. At least 3 or 4 times within the first lap someone would charge to the front and then crashout in a turn. The conditions were super loose and dusty and after watching the others have their issues, the rest of the lead pack seemed to dial it back a bit (in the turns). Since there wasn't much separation to the lead, I was content to hang back anywhere between 3-6 position. There was some back and forth but overall the pack stuck together. Then at the start of the second lap going down the front straight Reese passed me while saying something about more power in an Arnold Schwarzenegger voice. I don't even think he was breathing heavy at that point. He made quick work of the lead pack and jumped to the front, making what was our lead group, now the chase group. Everything stayed tight amongst the chase group coming out of the woodchips on the last lap. I went to make my move and fishtailed in the wood chips a bit and lost my opportunity to move up a few spots in the power section up the incline. At that point I knew I was pretty limited with advancement opportunities so I turned my focus into holding off the BMB rider behind me. I had maybe 5 or 6 seconds on him heading into the final section on the course. Then disaster strikes. I slide out going through a slight uphill turn I put out my right foot to catch me and my shoe falls off. I try to pick it up and wiggle it back on but the wiggle proves to be insufficient and my shoe falls off again. I decide I don't have time to stop and put it back on and decide to continue on the last quarter mile or so without it. Bad idea... Uphills were murder, there were only a few left but the SPD pedal does not feel very good on the balls of your feet. Particularly while applying any type of significant force. I tried to 'sprint' on the final straight to hold off BMB but he gets me at the line to drop me to 7th. I had higher hopes, but all things considered it was a solid finish. Congrats Rees on the W, you killed it out there, now move on up to CAT3 and give the rest of us a fighting chance :)

Midnight Ride SS:
Only an hour break between the CAT4 finish and the start of the SS race. Lesson learned, this is not enough time, it was hot, I was dehydrated, and really not looking forward to race number 2. I knew I should have some decent points from the CAT4 race, so the pressure was off a bit. During this race I got to feel the true pain of the 'wood chips' at the end of the front straight, I felt like I needed some body armor with all the debris flying around, not to mention my poor bicycle. I kept Busick in sight for maybe a half lap but never saw him again. The first two laps were decent and by the end the wheels were falling off. I knew I had a decent gap behind me but I had no motivation or energy to catch the guy in front of me. I believe I ended up 22/41 in this one, but hey, at least my shoes stayed on! I was a mess after this race between a lack of food and hydration. I had signed up for the 3/4 as well, but bailed knowing that nothing positive could come from it. In hindsight I should have raced the 4 and the 3/4 and given myself some recovery time between the two.
Briana
Chasseur

Post by Briana »

I raced the combined 1/2/3 and 1/2/3 40+ mixed start category in the dark. I lined up in the 2nd row behind Patrick. I head down the start straight into what is the CX version on "The Funnel of Death" 30mph into a loose rock and stick left hander. Made it through with lots of bumping shoulders and elbows into the first few sweepers trying to keep the young guys in place. Lots of aggressive inside chopping by the kids. We get through the first 10 or so turns and a guy goes head first into a telephone pole at high speed and lands spread eagle in front of me. Unfortunately for him and me (more so for him) My brand new MXP front tire crushes his balls and I get launched over the bars. A quick assessment of the situation and I'm back on my bike and moving forward....him not so much. In this class that's too much of a mistake to really recover from but after a lap or two I have Miles in my sights and am slowly getting closer through the technical sections. Unfortunately I start burping air in my rear tire and it continues to get worse until I finally have to pit in and add some air just before starting the last lap. I ended up 4th in the 40+ behind Adam Myerson, Jacob Robertson and Miles Billings. I'm not sure the results would have changed much had I not crashed and flatted but I think I could have hung with the Miles and Jacob had I been with them from the start.

1st race on a new set of wheels, so far not impressed, lots of burping ;-(
Brian Anderson
fowleezy
Autobus

Post by fowleezy »

I haven't been racing but I signed up for the 3/4 because I just really like this race for some reason. I started in the back row since my points were terrible as I haven't raced in almost a year and some of my better results r are falling outside the 1 year window. There was a crash or almost crash near the start line that had a bunch of people in front of me grabbing brakes and I backed way off, going into the first turn near the back of the pack, although I'm not sure how near. Then I pretty much just spent the rest of the race trying to pick off as many people as I could and ended up mid pack 25/58. One could say that I haven't exactly been following a very traditional training plan, so I am happy that I just didn't completely blow up.

Nice job Rees! Congrats on the win!
pace21
Maillot Jaune

Post by pace21 »

Briana wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:52 am Unfortunately for him and me (more so for him) My brand new MXP front tire crushes his balls and I get launched over the bars.
No lie this same thing happened to me in an MX race about 25 years ago with a couple notable differences:
1) It was in a pile up at the end of the start straight at the hole shot so speed was (guessing) 25-30mph
2) a 250 two stroke is roughly 200 pounds
3) my body didn’t really slow his momentum so he never actually crashed he just used my parts as a take off ramp
Briana
Chasseur

Post by Briana »

pace21 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:28 pm
Briana wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:52 am Unfortunately for him and me (more so for him) My brand new MXP front tire crushes his balls and I get launched over the bars.
No lie this same thing happened to me in an MX race about 25 years ago with a couple notable differences:
1) It was in a pile up at the end of the start straight at the hole shot so speed was (guessing) 25-30mph
2) a 250 two stroke is roughly 200 pounds
3) my body didn’t really slow his momentum so he never actually crashed he just used my parts as a take off ramp
I hope the powerband on that two stroke didn't kick in as has was using your junk as a launching ramp :shock: :lol: :lol:
Brian Anderson
mfwestbe
Chasseur

Post by mfwestbe »

As Rees mentioned, I lined up at the very back, because I haven't done a cx race in about 3 or 4 years. Recently, I did just put on some wider rims and new tires, which greatly increased tire width and volume. Also playing around with saddle position so I can get more confident on tight turns (which there were a couple on the course). I've gotten better, but I was still a bit timid in the sandstorm section and the woodchip arena.

I tried to move up as far as I could on the opening drive into the dust devil, which wasn't much. After that, I couldn't really pass anyone until coming out of the woodchips into the long power section. Whereas the front finished Lap 1 around 8:30, I didn't get to roll through until 9:36. But hey, just here to have fun. I just looked ahead and kept finding new targets. At least according to lap times on the results, I passed 19 people who finished lap 1 ahead of me. I almost had two more, but they stayed ahead of me out of the last barriers and into the final turns and I couldn't find a way to pass them before the finish straight. Finished up 28/71, and looking forward to not starting on the last row next time. I think.

Cold beer after was great, especially as Rees and I got to heckle the Chris's in the single speed race. Couldn't miss cactus, because, pink tape on the shoes and a Hi-Viz helmet.
ppereira
Domestique

Post by ppereira »

mfwestbe wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:34 pm As Rees mentioned, I lined up at the very back, because I haven't done a cx race in about 3 or 4 years. Recently, I did just put on some wider rims and new tires, which greatly increased tire width and volume. Also playing around with saddle position so I can get more confident on tight turns (which there were a couple on the course). I've gotten better, but I was still a bit timid in the sandstorm section and the woodchip arena.

I tried to move up as far as I could on the opening drive into the dust devil, which wasn't much. After that, I couldn't really pass anyone until coming out of the woodchips into the long power section. Whereas the front finished Lap 1 around 8:30, I didn't get to roll through until 9:36. But hey, just here to have fun. I just looked ahead and kept finding new targets. At least according to lap times on the results, I passed 19 people who finished lap 1 ahead of me. I almost had two more, but they stayed ahead of me out of the last barriers and into the final turns and I couldn't find a way to pass them before the finish straight. Finished up 28/71, and looking forward to not starting on the last row next time. I think.

Cold beer after was great, especially as Rees and I got to heckle the Chris's in the single speed race. Couldn't miss cactus, because, pink tape on the shoes and a Hi-Viz helmet.
You got a freebie pass with me and my dropped chain, never again! lol (i'm sure you were going to pass me regardless of my chain situation!!), hope you get out for some more, it's fun!