KHRR

Race reports
ppereira
Domestique

KHRR

Post by ppereira »

I guess I'll kick it off since I was the first MRC finisher of the day! lol I raced Cat 5, which should be my last one as a 5 (and I did my first road race in 2014, so took me long enough). Fitness is pretty good but not great for racing at this point, but wanted to test my legs out. First lap was probably the most eventful, I was somehow in the front much of the way up Oak Hill the first time, but I didn't want to do anything crazy. Then again, maybe I should have, since a couple of guys attacked over the top the first time around and pretty much stayed away the whole time. 2nd lap was chill, and I was really feeling good through the 3rd lap until Oak Hill, I didn't eat or drink during the race so maybe that was catching up and didn't match the surge up the final part of Oak Hill. Ended up 23/48, but had fun and for me was a successful event. Wish I had pushed myself a bit harder, I really wanted to do 300w on Oak and/or get under 8min (although my best time up Oak had my lowest power output at 253w). On the plus side, my time for the finish sprint was among the highest of the day at 18sec, so I've got that going for me.

Anyhow, it was a great day and I had a blast, then had to throw a bday party for my now 8 year old. Good seeing everyone today!
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Re: KHRR

Post by JeremyC »

The 45+, despite being 5 laps, was easier than the 2 lap race simulation we did last week. In fact, on one of the WNRs my normalized power for 2hrs was 15 watts higher than this race. Who's fault was that you ask? Josh Burgel!!!! Despite our well thought out plan of being conservative and wait until lap 3 to start our typical attacking ways, Burgel jumped in early, yet promising, break about 10 minutes into the race. I wasn't worried because I know Burgel has 47 matches to burn and when it was pulled back he wouldn't be total garbage like the rest of us. Except it never got pulled back, and the chasing was pathetic at best. I pretty much sat in the top 10 and got a fairly easy and consistent arm chair ride for the entire race.

On lap 4 we came close to catching them (20 secs), then an 8 minute Oak Hill saw the break go out of sight for good, or so we thought. I took a nap for a while knowing I needed to save some energy for the beer garden. Last time up Oak was a little faster but nothing like previous years. I went over the top 3rd wheel, which should be a clue of what the race was like. Obligatory attacks over Pinnacle (at least that didn't change), right hander and spring up the last kicker toward the finish and what do you know, there is the break. The race literally exploded into a frenzy once people realized the race was still up for grabs (or was it???).

People started attacking, which was good because it strung it out. I yelled at Busick and Raguin to chase everything. I was actually LOL'ing to myself on the descent because I was yelling at Raguin to close the gap to a couple Aetna guys, even though we were going 50mph and he was totally spun out and could do nothing. The confusing part was how hard should we go, the break was about 50 yards in front of us and we still wanted (wink wink) Burgel to win... We basically sprinted onto the end of the break into the finish line, with Burgel pulling out 2nd. I unleashed my 950 watt sprint, didn't pass anyone but didn't get passed except some D-Bag coming on my left trying to bike throw me at the line for 11th. Lucky for me I'm 1 inch taller than said D-Bag and held him off. And then I realized it was BUSICKKKKK!!! This was the photo finish we needed but didn't get!!

Anyway it was a fun race, congrats to Burgel on the Suicide break that lasted. Now I have to do intervals today to make up for yesterday's snooze fest.
eboos
Peloton

Post by eboos »

Cat 4 40+

I felt like total crap on Thursday and Friday from a mix of riding 82 miles within 12 hours and not getting any sleep. Tried to recover as much as possible Friday night, and it helped a bit. Saturday morning I rushed to do a drive train cleanup and cut a new chain. A couple turns of the rear mech adjuster and it was dialed in. Arrived a little more than an hour before the start and see my friend Matt who just finished the Cat 5 race. While talking to him I couldn't help but notice the caked up snot at the base of his nose. While walking away I felt like I was going to hurl (sorry Matt, it was nasty :lol: ).

On the start we had what seemed like the longest and slowest neutral start in racing history. When we got going, people were asking if we were still neutral. This continued all the way down Littleton Road. As soon as we started up Oak Hill, people turned on the gas. I hung in until about 500M from the top before I started falling back. Down the descent I joined a small group which had some chaotic rider from NE Dev. We were working together, but I am not sure if this guy was on the same page. Up Littleton Road about half way I am feeling like garbage and I lose this group. Figuring I am in dead last I decide to just burn everything down and pull in after finishing this lap. Approaching the finish I wave that I am out but I hear Mark yelling "Go Boos, go!" so I gas it back up and continue with the intent of just riding strong regardless of my position. I suddenly felt more energetic and my legs didn't hurt as much.

On the fourth lap, having already been passed by a couple in the Pro field, a group catches up to me and I am pretty much neutralizing myself to allow them to pass. I see the numbers and they are 600 and 700 numbers - the 4 and 40+ 4 field. I ask them if they are in a cool down, figuring I was so far back the leaders had already finished. They replied "we are in our last lap". What? There were still a bunch of people behind me? I jump on with them and we take 30 second rotations down Littleton Road. Up Oak Hill the final time I take to the front of this group. I make a strong effort, but Frank Sleegers and another guy get ahead and start the descent with a pretty decent lead. Me, Christo and Tim Daley are making an effort to chase them down. I am tucked in behind Tim and we start putting the hammer down with 1K to go. We reel in Frank and another but it is getting really close. Christo gets past me, and with 200M to go we are in a full on sprint. We pass Tim and Frank and I cross the line less than a bike's length behind Christo. 20/29. Way better than I thought I was doing.
Briana
Chasseur

Post by Briana »

Cat 4, Cat 4 40+

During the neutral start I quickly realized there were a few jr. NE Devo kids in the race. They were easy to spot as they very loudly discussed there "strategery" to attack right from the gun. I strongly encouraged them and they did just that. Not much of an attack but they were on the front with me sitting on their wheels. Clearly this was going nowhere but I was happy to mess with them a bit. They are both strong CX kids.

A few miles in Max Candidus and another guy slowly rolled off the front and built themselves a pretty decent gap, probably a minute or so, they were out of site. Nobody was very anxious to chase it down but surprisingly 545 was doing quite a bit of work on the front. I'm assumed their plan was to let Nate Kemp sit in and crush Oak Hill on the last lap and take the win (spoiler alert, that didn't happen). We drilled it up Oak Hill the first lap and caught the break at the top, I knocked 11 sec of my PR (6:57). A few weak attacks on the back side of the course on lap two but it was pretty obvious none of them were going to stick. Again up Oak at blazing speed 6:50, another 7 sec off my new PR. 3rd lap was more of the same but pretty chill up Oak Hill other than a few attack attempts that really didn't amount to much. 4th lap similar to the third. I think I stayed in the top 10 for most of the race, it's so much easier to access the race near the front. I moved up to the top few spots before the left turn onto Pinnacle and Stayed there until after the right hander onto Oak hill. With about a mile to go Max Candidus attacked and all hell broke loose. They crazy jr's were back and riding like maniacs with their little jr gearing. I was positioned maybe 10-12 going down the final decent. I would have liked to have been closer to the front but I was comfortable on the right side and managed to squeeze past a couple guys before sprinting to the finish. I was 4th or 5th over all but the first 40+ guy across the line. My first win. I was really happy with how the race went, I never felt like things we out of control and always felt like I had a chance. Purgatory anyone?
Brian Anderson
ppereira
Domestique

Post by ppereira »

Hey Brian (and anyone else who wants to answer), what were your w/kg going up Oak Hill? On the first and third laps I did 285w, a little over 4w/kg for me at the moment. Every now and then I wonder if my bike (a 2018 Allez, with the 8 speed claris and stock except for a powertap) is holding me back, would love to try better wheels to see what kind of a difference they could make.
Briana
Chasseur

Post by Briana »

Using a single sided 4iii crank based power meter, i weigh 144lbs (65.77 kg). I think for the most part I was probably around 10th wheel going up the climb each time. Never out in front and never really trapped in a spot I didn't want to be in.

6:57 - 261w - 97rpm - 176bpm - 3.96w/kg
6:50 - 268w - 99rpm - 176bpm - 4.07w/kg
7:12 - 242w - 96rpm - 169bpm - 3.68w/kg
7:01 - 263w - 91rpm - 165bpm - 4.00w/kg
Brian Anderson
eboos
Peloton

Post by eboos »

I averaged 282 for a 7:16. My w/kg was 3.54 (could benefit from a bit of weight loss).
ppereira
Domestique

Post by ppereira »

very interesting, thanks guys! Definitely interesting to see the comparison, too bad I didn't set up my action cam so I can figure out where I blew it (and also too bad I'm racing on sweet spot fitness).

I did get my 4 upgrade today so hopefully I get to ride with more of you and try and help out!
peterkuhn
Domestique

Post by peterkuhn »

ppereira wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:35 pm Hey Brian (and anyone else who wants to answer), what were your w/kg going up Oak Hill? On the first and third laps I did 285w, a little over 4w/kg for me at the moment. Every now and then I wonder if my bike (a 2018 Allez, with the 8 speed claris and stock except for a powertap) is holding me back, would love to try better wheels to see what kind of a difference they could make.
the 123 did a 4.4 average for six 7min climbs, +/-10w
remad
Peloton

Post by remad »

ppereira wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:35 pm Hey Brian (and anyone else who wants to answer), what were your w/kg going up Oak Hill? On the first and third laps I did 285w, a little over 4w/kg for me at the moment. Every now and then I wonder if my bike (a 2018 Allez, with the 8 speed claris and stock except for a powertap) is holding me back, would love to try better wheels to see what kind of a difference they could make.
There are about 10 different segments for oak hill, this is the one that I think Brian is referencing so I will use it as well. https://www.strava.com/segments/636988

Lap 1 with the p123 field was 321 watts 4.0w/kg for 6:31
Lap 2 solo off the back was 356 watts 4.5w/kg for 7:19

Drafting helps a lot.