Harpoon B2B Ride

Moderators: KTeves, djming

irusk
Chasseur

Harpoon B2B Ride

Post by irusk »

I think there are a bunch of us signed up for the B2B ride this weekend. A few of us are nursing injuries or otherwise are not as fully trained for this event as we'd like to be (including myself) . Still, I'm planning on riding.

Please post up if you're planning on doing this, and note the group/speed you plan to ride, and let's see if we can get some carpools over to the start, and get folks together who plan to ride about the same pace.

I'll start:

Ian - Group 2 (17mph) 6:50 start
"There is no charge for awesomeness" - Po
scott_sweeney
Tête de la course

Re: Harpoon B2B Ride

Post by scott_sweeney »

I'm in, think I'm with the same group. I'm carpooling from Stow with one of my neighbors. Will see you bright and early!
Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door.
michael todisco
Chasseur

Post by michael todisco »

In, 19mph.....
"Disco Inferno"
teamkimball
Chasseur

Post by teamkimball »

I think I am doing Group 6, 22 MPH. Hopefully I don't blow up.

Peloton 1- Average speed 16 MPH...(5:00 AM registration, 6:00 AM Departure)
Peloton 2- Average speed 17 MPH...(5:30 AM registration, 6:30 AM Departure)
Peloton 3- Average speed 18 MPH...(6:00 AM registration, 7:00 AM Departure)
Peloton 4- Average speed 19 MPH...(6:30 AM registration, 7:30 AM Departure)
Peloton 5- Average Speed 20-21 MPH...(7:00 AM registration, 8:00 AM Departure)
Peloton 6- Average Speed 22+ MPH...(7:00 AM registration, 8:15 AM Departure)

Steve
Red
Domestique

Post by Red »

Last peloton - 22+ mph!
cp43
Domestique

Post by cp43 »

I'm in, I'll probably be in the 18mph group.

Chris

*edit, 18mph, not 17.
Len_E
Peloton

Post by Len_E »

I'm in. I like to take a shot at the 22 group. First time doing this ride so I'm not sure what to expect after, say, 120 miles. Todisco's description of last year's ride is waking me up at night.
I would like to carpool with someone. I'm in Holliston but can meet wherever.
-Len
BLentrichia
Lanterne Rouge

Post by BLentrichia »

I'm going at 17 mph at least until Townsend. There will be many 22+ folks in the first releases anyway. I am interested in carpooling. My family has only one car.
“You can motivate by fear. And you can motivate by reward. But both of these methods are only temporary. The only lasting thing is self-motivation.” - Homer Rice
michael todisco
Chasseur

Len....Todisco doesn't ride his road bike much and he pays dearly!!!! Glad your riding and judging from past PMC's we did, you've got nothing to be afraid of, unless something has happened to you that you're keeping private :D
"Disco Inferno"
irusk
Chasseur

Post by irusk »

I'm willing to take someone who wants to carpool. I'm in Sudbury if anyone's interested.
teamkimball
Chasseur

Post by teamkimball »

I can give somebody a ride also.. I can take 4 people
teamkimball
Chasseur

Post by teamkimball »

I can give somebody a ride also.. I can take 4 people
Len_E
Peloton

Post by Len_E »

I'll take a ride. I'm coming from Holliston so where can we meet? If you are taking the Pike where will you get on it. I can meet at the park-n-ride at the ramp or at a more convenient place for you before the Pike.
-Len
argus
Peloton

Post by argus »

I"ll be in either the 17 or 18 mph group.
BLentrichia
Lanterne Rouge

Post by BLentrichia »

Ian, if you're leaving in the 17 mph group I can use a ride. I'll cover parking. I need to know where to meet you and what time.
“You can motivate by fear. And you can motivate by reward. But both of these methods are only temporary. The only lasting thing is self-motivation.” - Homer Rice
Red
Domestique

Post by Red »

I suggest wearing our MRC kits. Show the colors! (and make sure to correct those that mistake us for Team Landry's) ;)
BLentrichia
Lanterne Rouge

Post by BLentrichia »

Well I need a ride - how's this for last minute? Anyone have room?
irusk
Chasseur

Post by irusk »

Wow, that was quite a ride. Longest I've ever ridden in one shot. But what a blast! Thanks again SK for driving, and thanks to Brian, Gary, Annie, Michael, Tim, Mame, Scott, Chris and everyone else in our group for the company. Don't think I would have been able to push through that distance alone.
scott_sweeney
Tête de la course

Post by scott_sweeney »

Great day-reeeeeally long (the "extra" 10 miles turned out to be essentially a 10 mile climb) but felt strong for the most part. Definitely the longest one day effort I've ever done as well. IPA has never tasted so good!!!!!
Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door.
michael todisco
Chasseur

2nd year for me and was glad to have participated in this really fun and at times, painful ride... that extra 10 miles uphill push me to the limit... Beer was great, food was mediocre, band was good.....

In the 22mph group was Steve K. looking really serious at the start line, he talking about saving extra time by shaving his ass, hmmm... glad I rode with 19mph group.... :D Also in that group was Len. He was feigning his usual lack of fitness but I knew better. Even on his worst day he is a force to be reckoned with. I was going to hook on with them at the 100 mile stop but did not want to leave my riding buddy in no man's land....

Let's do it again next year! All the painful memories should be gone by then and only the good ones will be left....
"Disco Inferno"
teamkimball
Chasseur

Post by teamkimball »

Saturday was a great day... The new longer course was excellent. I started in the 22mph group with Jim, Vic, Len, Candiello, and Cort. We were all in great shape until the 1st water stop. I came out of the can and everybody had left. I tried to hammer for a couple miles to catch up without any luck. We were lucky that a bunch of people were all in this boat so we re-grouped. I was able to connect with Jim, Vic, Candiello and misc others so all was not lost. By the time we got to the Monster Hill it was Jim, Vic, me and 1 other guy. We stayed together until mile 110.

At the 110 mile water re were able to hook up with Cort and Len. To our dismay all the water was gone. I worked hard to convince everybody that we could ride the last 36 miles on Coke. After about 15 min of sitting around the group caved in and we started again. I had no water but had 3 bottles of coke. Note to Self, after drinking 1 bottle of Coke it started to taste like crap and I started getting a really bad head ache. At mile 128 we ran into some people handing out bottles of water an were able to re-fuel some. Wow!!! what a life saver. By the end we were all pretty tired but nobody got dropped and I think we must have averaged 21 - 22 MPH for the last 30+ miles. Not a bad finish to a long long day. We had tons of MRC riders out on the course. Totally fun!!

Thanks for a super group. Oh and the hose shower was kind of cold but it was much faster than waiting in that huge shower line. There may be a very interesting post coming up from Annie, Mame, Jim, Vic, etc... They missed the last bus and stayed until 10:30 in Vt playing drinking games. Oh, do tell.....
Len_E
Peloton

Post by Len_E »

146 miles in warm weather and over some pretty good hills.
No water at the 110 mile "coke n' pickle juice" stop
45 minute line for a 2-minute shower
Chicken that was cooked under a heat lamp
Missed last bus home
Free beer and pizza in the middle of Vermont on a Saturday night
Sign me up for next year
-Len
Red
Domestique

Post by Red »

What happens in the Harpoon brewery stays in the Harpoon brewery!! ;)

We had a blast hanging out - free beer and pizza all night! Though getting back to Boston after 1am was a little later than expected! I'm still exhausted I think.

Great ride and day overall though. As Kimball mentioned, some jerks in the 22+ group decided to wait until half the peloton had their backs turned at the first rest stop and then bolted from the scene. Many of us scorched ourselves trying to catch them as we didn't know who was where and in what group. Fortunately, Steve, Vic, Len, myself and a few others re-grouped and made it an enjoyable last 100 miles. Kudos to Steve for maintaining organization to the group. Somehow he convinced us all that the last 35 miles could be done with little hydration, save some water bottles of warm coca-cola.

Lots of fun seeing folks at the BBQ. And I do think that Ann, Mame, Vic, Len, Dan, and myself had the best possible time that we could while being stranded in the middle of VT waiting for a ride home!