Myles Standish

Race reports
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Myles Standish

Post by JeremyC »

What a day, this race lived up to its blossoming reputation, both good and bad.

We had a huge 13 person team for the 3/4, which meant the pressure was really on MRC to deliver a result. With Robbie and Rees killing it this year, they we're our early attackers, with pretty much everyone else lined up for counter attacking, leaving only Gibbo as a protected rider for the run into the #FoD, aka #MylesMeatGrinder (thanks Tom).

The race was only 20 miles, so we would be attacking fast and furious until something stuck. After sitting on the start line for 30 minutes we were finally off. It was quite impressive to watch literally everyone from MRC attack over and over throughout the race. And on top of that, every other attack from another team was covered by at least 1 MRCer but sometimes multiple. My favorite moment early in the race, there was an attack up the right side to bridge to a small break, my good friend the Pirate was close by but looked like he wasn't sure what to do, I yelled at him to cover it, he started to go then stopped, I yelled at him again, and he went across and then attacked the break over the top. The for the rest of the race he attacked 3 or 4 more times, Robbie attacked 373 times (i counted). But everyone was in the mix especially Jacob, Dave M, Rob C., Jason, AJ, and even Briana who is learning the road race thing quickly.

To our dismay, nothing stuck, and on the topside of the course Robbie and AJ's last break attempt was caught and they went straight from break mode to leadout mode (after more yelling from me :lol: ). I had located Gibbo but there was still close to 2 miles left. Robbie did a turn and peeled off, AJ was up but he was gassed from his 100th breakaway attempt. I was yelling to go faster but it wasn't possible and we were running out of numbers. With a mile to go the swarm was on, and at one point I told Gibbo he might be on his own. He surfed the front expertly until coming into the final rise before the #FoD I got an opening on the right and I sprinted up the small hill, yelled at Gibbo to jump on (replay from last year with Jacob) and we drilled it to the front and started the curling descent. I slotted into 2nd wheel behind a big guy from NCC and we were off to the races through the FoD. At about maybe 250 meters I started the sprint around the NCC guy and I knew I was about to explode. I probably got them to about 150 meters, and they all came around and I sit up and coasted in not willing to contest minor placings (and shattered). Gibbo grabbed 3rd which is a great result knowing how chaotic the finish was. Jason got 6th I think. The race averaged 27.7 according to Strava, ouchy.

The Pirate and I did a cool down ride and then lined up for the 40+. The earlier race was so hard I just wanted to sit in for a lap or 2. Burgel and Chris B were our fresh racers, with myself, the Pirate, Mingori, The Diesel Batten, Jacob, McCay, and Rob C. all in the 2nd race of the double up. Burgel likes to suffer so our main strategy was to get him in a break. This happened I think on the 2nd lap but he only had 1 partner. They were off the front for a long time, I felt bad for Josh because there were a lot of big guns in the race and none of them were with him. The likelyhood of this working was slim, and they were caught with 2 to go. We all did a decent job following moves, not of which stuck and Burgel even went in another promising move but it got reeled in. At the start of the last lap Burgel asked me if I wanted a lead out, to which I said "only if you're done attacking" and he said "yeah I'm cooked". So he proceeded to drive the pace for the next 1/2 lap (I wish I could be that cooked). Coming up the backside hill I was well positioned near the front and had mentally accepted my role as designated FoD sprinter until they neutralized the race. There were multiple Cat 5 crashes in the FoD and they were clearing up the human debris. We sat for 15 minutes, then slow rolled to the finish where they gave us 1 more lap to contest a "safe sprint" (yeah right, do we look like we were born yesterday?). I contemplated quitting the race several times, as I new the restart for 1 lap was a bad idea. Anyway they let us go sooner than expected to I decided to duke it out. It was a fast lap, 28+ MPH, but again I was near the front and we were coming into the final rise but I was 15th wheel, and Dean Philips was DRILLING it on the front. I was struggling to move up until Dave McCay came to the rescue and moved me up the right and dropped me at the top of the FoD. I sprinted and muscled my way into 3rd wheel behind Dean and David Hildebrand another stud masters racer. Dean single-handedly held off the field through the FoD and coming into 100 to go I actually thought I could win. Hildebrand opened his sprint around Dean and I did the same. We were both gaining and I momentarily thought I could come around both but sprinting at 40 MPH into a head wind was excruciating, and ultimately I realized it wasn't going to happen and I say back down to be more aero. Anyway we finished in the same order, Dean Hildebrand and me. My first road podium in a few years and I pocketed a whopping $30 which I will be sure to spread throughout the team, $2.37ea.

Sadly there was some carnage behind, Rob C getting caught in a FoD crash and apparently breaking some ribs and maybe a punctured lung. The Pirate drive his car to the hospital and I drive the Pirates Tesla to meet him. Funny moment, I could figure out how to start the Tesla, I needed McCay to come over and help. He read the manual from the car's supercomputer and we figured out you needed to put the blinker on to start the car. Wow very high tech.

Sad part 2, Tom Coleman crashed at high speed in the #MylesMeatGrinder and needs a new everything because he looked like he got run over by a lawn mower.

Otherwise it was a fun day.
Jacob
Peloton

Re: Myles Standish

Post by Jacob »

My view of the 40+ finish:
https://youtu.be/Wwc1-saRUKc
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Post by JeremyC »

Jacob wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 5:46 pm My view of the 40+ finish:
https://youtu.be/Wwc1-saRUKc
The Scorpion guy who crashed should be banned from racing. Can't blame the #FoD for that one.
dburdi
Voiture Balai

Post by dburdi »

I was going to wait for Dave M to post, but I'll go ahead and get the ball rolling.

First, best wishes to Rob C and Tom C for a speedy recovery.

M50+: Dave M, John E, Rich B and I lined up in a field of 43 riders for a 5-lap circuit. My goals, like my power output, were modest: Stay upright, finish with the pack and help out if possible. I'm happy to report that I succeeded on 2/3 goals - the helping out part was tricky since I was often hanging on for dear life. The start began in embarrassing fashion with me being unable to clip in, and the announcer proclaiming that I was planning to do the race one-legged. Great - in my inaugural year with MRC I have become the Court Jester. Fortunately, the race started slowly and I was able to chase back on with little trouble. The pace amped up thereafter and I found myself moving up and pack-sliding for almost the entire race. John E kindly offered a push as I struggled to close a small gap. At one point I was able to work my way up to the front where it looked to me like Rich B had opened up a small gap with another rider, but that move got absorbed pretty quickly. On the final lap, I found myself in around 20th place as we turned into the FoD. I went full throttle and was promptly swarmed by at least 10 riders including Rich B, who went by me with such ease that it looked like he was coasting. Nevertheless I rolled in a happy man - 33/43 riders. Race stats: 26.8 miles: 61:52 (26 mph average); NP = 242 watts (97% of FTP); average HR = 168 bpm (a 220-age rule violation). It's the fastest race I've ever been in, and it was a thrill to race alongside teammates.

Cheers,
Doug Burdi
peterkuhn
Domestique

Post by peterkuhn »

man i love the death chute. Sorry to hear about the carnage, wish i could've been there, eagerly awaiting more tales
rraymond
Domestique

Post by rraymond »

3/4
My plan was to burn the whole matchbox in the 45 minute race with the goal of sitting up for the "happy fun downhill sprint". Nick Huber and I decided it would be lots of fun to attack from the gun after a good warm up. That was derailed by an extra 20 minutes of standing in the staging area. By the time we were released, my legs had stiffened and proceeded to seize up at the end of the first minute of the race. We got a gap with a 545 rider latching on but he screwed up our flow by soft pedaling and getting in the way of everything. Not sure if he was blocking or what but it was quite irritating.

The rest of the race is a blur of attacks. It was great fun to have several teams with enough riders that the entire race was a barrage of attacks. MRC covered everything beautifully. On the last lap, AJ Piper and I got a gap and pulled like there was no tomorrow. I thought we would stay away but the pack chased us down. Nearly immediately after we were caught I started to sink back into the pack when AJ yells at me to get the lead out train going for Chris. So back to the front and I pulled until my legs said enough and I sat up and was dropped out the back coming in last place. That was the fastest race I've ever done!

P123
More delays and crashes seem to be the motif of the race. My memory of the race is a little fuzzy because I was really tired and sick of waiting around. We were delayed in staging again but through the kindness of the promoter's heart he released us to the bathroom before we returned to staging again. I knew I should've taken a nap. Luckily the race started slower than the last. Then it really started up. After a few attacks started up, I saw Tom at the front in the wind so I half attacked, half pulled the field up to the break. Once it was caught I covered a few other moves and launched my own attacks. Then disaster struck. Tom got taken out in a crash. Once I was sure he wasn't coming back I resigned to sit "comfortably" in the pack not caring about the outcome of the race.

Rees, AJ, and Jason all kept putting in efforts every now and then. A break of 3 got way out of sight and was gone for 35 miles before getting pulled back with 1 lap to go. Everyone else seemed tired by then so I thought about moving towards the front until the 3rd or 4th crash of the race happened right next to me and I was brought to my senses. Sat up again for the downhill choosing life over eternal glory. AJ got 11th though which is awesome given how hard the morning race was! Also the cat 3s took the top two spots on the podium for the p123 race so I'm guessing a bunch of upgrade requests will be sent soon (only to be summarily denied in typical fashion).
djming
Chasseur

Post by djming »

50+ and 40+ for me back to back.
50+ was downright uneventful compared to all other fields. Lined up with Rich, Doug and John in a 45 person field. Heard all kinds of "watch this guy, this guy can finish, that guy won't do any work, Downeast has a strong lineup". As Doug mentioned, the pace was quite moderate starting and it just steadily ramped up. A few single guys throwing in some fliers.
Finally some of the bigger guns starting stretching things out with Downeast a strong presence at the front. I continually made attempts to make some breaks that looked to include a Downeast guy, Bill Yabroudy and anyone from CCB. Nothing was sticking so I figured I'd just keep staying active and help keep the pace high until Rich's inevitable attack. At some point John finds me and tells me I'm doing too much work. Probably true, but feeling good. He leads me back to the front and I'm considering going when on the right there goes Rich. I wait to see if anyone's going to join him. A couple try but he ends up dangling for a bit. Then as it seems like he'll be caught a CCB guy (Nash) jumps with Bill Yabroudy (Scorpion). And a 4th joins. Perfect timing as there's another CCB (Potter) with me at the front along with some other Scorpion guy so we go into blocking mode. I'm figuring Downeast will try to initiate a chase but the pace has been high and in looking around their guys are swarmed. Hey, this just might stick for The Diesel.
They stay out for quite a bit and we're into the final half of lap 4. The pack is getting closer, but then it appears their gap goes back up a bit when for some reason Potter from CCB sprints out of the 4-way left turn and the pack strings out and the chase commences.
I work to gain a top 5-7 wheel and prepare for a counter attack when some guy in a blue/white kit comes into me from my left and almost sends me into CX mode (same guy who had been eliciting yells earlier; thought we had gotten rid of him). So much for that.
Into the final lap, hanging near the front and thinking of a move to get into the top 3-4 before the FoD but I completely mistime that (my mistake) and then a bunch pass me coming into the point where I wanted to be much further up so I ease off and make sure I'm safely across the line.

Extra water, some gu and sugar and line up for the 40+ which has already been discussed. Felt better than expected on the immediate turnaround but still wasn't able to be as helpful as I would have liked.
Dave Mingori
jraguin
Tête de la course

Post by jraguin »

3/4 was fun. I hadn't attacked that much in a while. Felt my legs were good. There was always someone from MRC attacking or bridging up. That was fun.

The 40+ fun ended when we got neutralized. I really felt like going to the car. We sat for an eternity. Then we rolled up to the start. Waited a bit again and then we were off. My legs felt horrible.

Interesting to watch the video of the finish of the 40+. The lesson learned (besides the crash) is patience. I was in the right position but I wasn't patient, got out there in the wind because I thought I needed to be further up, saw Jeremy was going right (I was on his left) and then just gave up to roll it in. If I had stayed in and not panicked, I might have helped Jeremy out more (although I really doubt the result would have been any different).

I was just rolling it in, when I was horrified to see the crash up in front of me and MRC guy go down. Avoided the bikes & bodies, but went immediately back after the finish to see that it was Rob down. Thankfully Jeremy and I drove together so I drove Rob to the hospital and Jeremy came to get me.
Thomas Coleman
Domestique

Post by Thomas Coleman »

I reluctantly showed up to this race, I must have waffled on it 4-5 times on the drive down if I was going to do it our not. But it was a nice day and my fitness felt like it was there and I knew I would have a strong team. It took forever to get the race started due to crashes and such. I actually got stuck where my car was parked because of a crash in the FoD in the cat 5 (come to find out later it was actually an old friend of mine from college that just started racing 🙄). The race was finally off and I was feeling great and accidentally found the wind. Robby came to rescue and pushed the pace. Attacks were coming in right from the gun. Coming on the the finish of the second lamp IIRC Aj came to the front on the section before the FoD and as I went to follow the move Dary Cabrera came out of nowhere and next thing I remember was hitting the ground really fucken hard. I remember tumbling down the pavement and seeing the crowd of bike about to plow me over, and bracing for impact.....but that impact never came. I now see why in crashes why people just lay there for a while in the road. As bad as I wanted to get up I couldn’t. So after what felt like and eternity I was able to get up. The guy in the follow car checked my bike out and besides a whole lot of scratches it was completely rideable. So I was able to remount and get down to the medical truck and get wrapped up. After getting wrapped up I ran into the Busicks which is when Katie noticed I broke my helmet. I was able to get on the road and get home all though I was in a lot of pain. Everyone keep asking about my head, if I had a headache, sensitivity to light, and I was like no not at all! Until the next morning I forgot what day it was... and my wife was like you’re going to the Hospital! I was able to negotiate Urgent Care, but they took one look at me and said you’re going to the ER! And proceed to put a neck brace on... which I through it off in the car 🤣 and got yelled at by a little old lady at the ER for doing so 🤣. They did a CAT scan to check for bleeding and nothing was found (insert joke here) . And just told me I’m suffering from a severe concussion. So now I’m just resting, no TV, no computer, no phone, ( just don’t tell anyone I wrote this). And I’m about 99% I’m done racing for the season as it takes 40days to fully heal a concussion, and I’m not willing to risk another one. I was going to try going back to work on Wednesday but I don’t know .... it sucks not being as sharp as you know you should be.
pace21
Maillot Jaune

Post by pace21 »

Well that took a turn for the worse
davidmccay
Domestique

Post by davidmccay »

That completely sucks, Tom. Rest up, take care and get well soon.
Jacob
Peloton

Post by Jacob »

Bummer. Hopefully it won't take 40 days to at least feel better.
J.Brodie
Autobus

Post by J.Brodie »

Sounds like some good racing in a few categories but sorry to hear about the crashes. I hope you guys can heal up quick!

I raced Cat 5 and didn't do anything noteworthy but it was my first race, so I'll post something...Given the rolling course profile I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. I ended up staging near the back but worked up to the front over the first half lap. A gap soon formed and I ended up being on the tail end with a small group. Again first race so I'm just looking to finish and get in a good above threshold workout.

A couple guys tried to bridge up but with the winds and high pace it wasn't going to happen. So I "raced" with this group. I put in some good pulls here and there and after attacking for 30th place up the hill before the finish and setting up for a long sprint, I saw the rider down from one of the front groups being loaded up in the ambulance. We didn't know the race had been neutralized. The marshal sitting before that final hill said be careful at the finish, but didn't ask us to slow down so to me that meant being in the front of even a small group.

So as we were coming to the line we were stopped fast, and due to that someone in the back of our group also went down.

Then a slow roll into the finish to collect my point and begin my long journey of upgrading to the 4's. Strava said that my estimated average power was 400 watts, which would have been awesome had that been true.

Lessons learned from a first race?...
- Study the course more
- Get faster so I can actually race and not just suck wheels
- Get faster so that I can be more aware of what's happening instead of sucking wheels
- Suck wheels as much as possible because sprinting is fun
Fintan
Chasseur

Post by Fintan »

The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts.