Chris Hinds

Race reports
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Chris Hinds

Post by JeremyC »

The MRC Road Race team is slacking off a bit on writing race reports. We had a decent amount of racers at the Chris Hinds Memorial Criterium down in our favorite racing spot Ninigret Park (ok not really), including at least 1 podium that I know of:

I was persuaded/strong armed into doing the 40+ with Chris Pare, we also had Diesel Batten, Mingori-Dynasty and new guys Christo Tinkov "Saxo" and Jerome Guerard, who probably should be racing with FDJ with that name.

Some of those guys had already raced, so I was hoping for an easy start for their sake. Sorry, the old guys don't roll like that. Its windy and in the first 20 minutes we had already lapped 1/3rd of the field. I was just sitting in and even I was uncomfortable. Very attacky, Pare was following some moves as I "observed" from behind. As a highly experience and semi-retired old guy, I had a feeling it would let up eventually, which it did. From there I was able to promote myself from pack fodder to partial instigator. I was 2nd wheel when a very dangerous move went up the left side containing what we'd call some of the favorites. It tool a massive effort to bridge across, and as soon as I got there one of the guys attacked again, not sure why we had a solid 8 guy group. That effort sent me into the red but it didn't matter as we were getting reeled in.

After recovering in the back, I see Pare continue to jump in promising moves, but contrary to most Masters races, no one would let these get away. Jerome chased a move or 2, even though he was in the lapped group it was smart racing since most people don't realize you're free to help a teammate in the lead group. Under 10 laps to go and Bart Lapinski attacked and got a decent solo gap and no one was pulling him back. With 4 to go I moved to the front and took a long pull for 2/3rds of a lap and brought Bart's gap down to about 50 meters. It should have been enough, and I dropped all the way to the back not realizing no one closed the final cushion (spoiler alert, he stayed away).

From there I was very close to shutting it down but dug deep in the wind to stay connected on the back stretch with 2 to go. Shockingly I moved all the way back up to 3rd wheel coming through for the penultimate lap and had a bit of energy ready to put a semi-lead-out pull (there was no way I had the gas to sprint anyway). I wasn't sure where Chris was so I stayed 2nd wheel but the lead guy slowed going into the 2nd to last corner. I never got my chance to lead out, in fact Jerome came screaming by us followed by the field and I just rode it in for minor placings. Chris didn't have it for the sprint either, not surprising as he made probably 10+ efforts trying to get in a break.

OK sorry that ended up being a Stefan-like race report. I'm bored at work.
mfwestbe
Chasseur

Re: Chris Hinds

Post by mfwestbe »

Not-so-subtle hint taken...

Cat 4 – John M and I lined up at the start, and as it was just us two we had no planned tactics other than to just stay in. After two laps, it was clear that a break was not going to be allowed, so I decided to stay entirely off the front, occasionally drifting all the way back. That said, I kept my eyes on the front so I could react efficiently to some of the smaller surges.

Around 25 minutes in, there was a clear move by someone (don't know who), but I was a little too far back and found myself digging to move up quick, as the field was going to split and I spent a brief moment in no-man's land. At least a third fell off the back, including most of the junior guys (which, no offense to them, but the lead group felt much safer after this). I did my best to hang out in the middle, while watching John pull back breaks (I think he also almost got in one that started to pull away). Somewhere in the last 2-3 laps, though, 1 guy did get away, and he would eventually win with 9 seconds to spare.

Coming in to the last lap, I felt a lot better than I had expected to, and worked to maintain an optimal position. I found John's wheel on the penultimate turn, and I think he was sitting about second wheel with 2-3 other guys pulling on the front. We knew we were sprinting for 2nd, and I waited patiently, knowing some would go too early. They did, and when I saw the waters part on the homestretch and I went for it, passing several guys, and caught 3rd by probably half a wheel (much to his dismay, and a self-directed 'F@#!').

Then I turned around for the 3/4, sat on the front for a while because 'why not', hoping to help us stretch things out. I would regret this about 5 minutes later when attacks happened and I fell off the back. 13-lap solo workout ensued. Also, watching Coleman and others in the P123 race was exciting...
jmorrissey
Domestique

Post by jmorrissey »

What Mike said my goal was to a) be safe and b) get use to accelerations as being my first race of the year. I felt good and decide any group of two trying to get away I'd make up the third person. A I got yelled at a couple of times and possibly an intentional spitting at (I use snots they work better) for sitting on peoples wheels but hey that's racing. Coming into the final corner I found I was up on the front before I wanted to be so I put in dig knowing I was too far to start sprinting and faded while a few others came around.

lessons learned = people don't know how to corner (it's bad) and I should have looked for Mike to be on my wheel but he was just a few back for my somewhat of a lead out so he took advantage of it.

Meet up with Mike take our 4 numbers off and jump in the 3/4 field. I felt surprisingly good as the race got underway. I was on the front and I saw Matt from CCB go off the front to my left. There was a reaction by about 10 others to his move which I saw an MRC kit go so I was happy to just sit on the front and do some tempo to let them get a gap. Fast forward my MRC on the front pulling and I had to remind us we had a guy in the break so no need to chase. Gave a little dig at the end for a mid field finish all in all happy with the day.

P.J. you really need to lube your chain. I could tell when you were behind me by the squeaking ;) that's why I dropped back to you when I didn't hear you there anymore
Thomas Coleman
Domestique

Post by Thomas Coleman »

All right... haha

So after picking up Patrick in Worcester we headed down to ninigret. I feel like i have a good idea on how these races play out. Go 120% and then some from the gun and the breakaway happens and most of the tie stays away. So thats what i did and a break of about 8 guys formed at lap 2.....yes lap 2 of a 90min race... awww crap this is going to be long. So the drilling comenced lap after painful lap. Eventually it wittled down to 5 and we were gaining distance. Al thought it felt like John Harris and i were doing most of the work. He was being very vocal to the group that if it doesn't work hes got a sprinter and knowing Sam R was back there, he was right.... so we kept drilling. And as we were getting to the 6 to go I thought we might stick this! But i was wrong. Patrick later told me that Ben Wolf from Jellybelly singly handly pulled us back. We got swarmed but the pack was muuuuuch smaller than it was when the race started apparently more than 1/2 the feild DNFd. I spend too long on the front after getting caught and got swarmed in the last corner and sprinted for 13th. Ended up being a very hard day at ninigrit.