Marin County

Moderators: KTeves, djming

BLentrichia
Lanterne Rouge

Marin County

Post by BLentrichia »

Last summer after cycling the dolomites in north eastern Tuscany, though challenging (> 6000 ft ascent over abour 60 miles), I thought it was the most spectacular ride I ever had the priviledge of wearing the club's color's on. So I couldn't resist bringing the bike out to the West coast this past weekend mixing business with pleasure (or torture as it turned out). Here's the experience. I stayed an B&B on Nob Hill in SF. For those who have been to SF, we're talking 20% grade to get 'home'. The Golden Gate bridge is crowded (100's of cyclists) going out in the morning fog after getting over Pacific Heights. By recommendation of some locals, I followed them up to Fort Berry after the bridge for a spectacular view of Rodeo Beach below. I lost contact with my friend 'Lee' a local I met who agreed to meet me at the bottom of the descent as he was unware that I was fixing a flat I got right at the summit (crap). In any case I decended down an incline similar to the wawa descent but though a mile long tunnel with a light that excludes cars while bicycles are in transit and vise versa (cool!). At the base I decided to make my way over to Sausalito where I stopped for a new tube and cartridge at the 'Bicycle Odyssey'. I spectacular shop with cool vintage wool jerseys at very modern outrageous prices. I made San Rafael an arbitrary desination and was told the most direct route was up Camino Alto to Larkspur and then Ross. No problem ascending until I misjudged the 2 inch ridge on the road and fell into a gravel shoulder that spilled off of the side. Fortunately not much velocity going up but a couple of roll overs bruised me a bit and bent up my front brake lever (I'd be hurting later though). I finally got to San Rafael after the most unpleasant part of the ride due to heavy traffic roads. Having tired of traffic I made a challenging decision in Fairfax to take Bolinas Road up to the Golden Gate National Recreation Area after filling up on Gaterade. I ascended up switchbacks and through Redwoods for 7 miles, then descended for a mile or so to a resevior (Bon Tempe Lake). I knew something was up when I saw folks who had driven in to ride from that point. The road ascended again for another 8 miles. The trees gave way to grasslands and triple digit heat as I reached the ridge and again ascended another 800 - 1000 feet with the Pacifc Ocean in view below. As beautiful as the scenery was, there were Green Head flies after me, I was out of liquid and the legs were complaining. My conditioning isn't as good as it was last year for Italy. BTW, this was Mt. Tamalpais (2571 ft). I filled up on water at the ranger station and instead of descending to Stinson Beach to follow the coastline back, I headed down (mostly) to Mill Valley and made it back to Sausolito and then to the bridge. It is typical for the fog to roll out to sea in the evening as the land begins to cool. But the fog 'rolls' out at 25 - 30 miles an hour. Crossing the bridge at that time there were no other cyclists except for this fool from the Minuteman Road Club soaked with ocean spray by the time I got to the other side. I had to walk around the towers, I could not hold the bike up against the wind. Although not an exceptionally long ride (a bit shy of 80 miles) I had ascended over 9900 feet. As I was lying on my bed on Nob Hill hurting from bruises of the fall and muscle spasms I pondered what pathologic condition gives rise to such masochistic behavior. You never win, only loose. I am sure Jeff has experienced this state and I know first hand Mark L. has and probably worse. It must be akin to Rocky's 12th round with Apollo Creed, it's not about winning, it's about going the distance. Thanks for reading.
“You can motivate by fear. And you can motivate by reward. But both of these methods are only temporary. The only lasting thing is self-motivation.” - Homer Rice
Jorge
Domestique

Re: Marin County

Post by Jorge »

Wonderful ride, man. The kind you remember forever. Gotta be cool to experience fog like that, at least once. Now you have!
Pics from Flanders cyclo-tour and Ronde: http://picasaweb.google.com/crossfast/R ... Vlaanderen#
mpbingham
Lanterne Rouge

Post by mpbingham »

Next time out that way go down to Palo Alto and ride Page Mill Road over the castal range (3,000 ft) to the ocean, and then ride back, beautiful ride through redwoods and over the San Andreas fault, etc. best ride on the peninsula.
JimmE
Domestique

Post by JimmE »

My one and only time riding in the Bay area.

From Pacifica out and over the GG bridge up Marin headlands out to Sausalito and back