Blue Hills Classic

Race reports
jraguin
Tête de la course

Blue Hills Classic

Post by jraguin »

Summary: In Cat 5s, had a nice race, and podiumed with a 2nd place finish!

Detail for me: Not much to share here actually. My goal was top 10 and I had told myself I was not going to go until the end, even if 2-3 guys broke away. Seems like everyone had that strategy resulting in a very tame race until the end (only a 3 lap, 21 mile race). Most of the race, it didn’t feel like we were racing. Carl & Matt pointed out to me these two guys from Green Line Velo who they overheard are Cat-ing up after this race, so I was watching their wheels closely. I basically stayed in the top 10 wheels the whole race. A guy from Boston Road Club goes off the front on the first climb but no one goes with him including me. I notice that people are breathing hard/out of saddle on the hill which gives me confidence since it was a fairly easy ride up. No one is doing much of anything so I do a couple of short pulls at the front just to keep the pace honest and avoid some of the more squirrelly riders. Second time up the hill, same BRC goes off the front and no one helps him but the Green Line Velo guys are marking him closely. Third time up the hill and things are getting bunched up. No one wants to lead probably hoping to save their energy for a final sprint. I start getting concerned about my position and being boxed in. Right around the second step of the hill, I see a hole open up in front of me so I start to punch it and go right up the middle to the front but with guys all around me. We hit just before the 3rd step and I ratchet the pace up another notch but still in my saddle. All of sudden no one is next to me except … the Boston Road Club guy. He is looking over, I ratchet up my final bit in the saddle, and he ducks into my draft. I know that isn’t good. I come to the green road signs / cones and I get out of saddle and start sprinting hoping I can just outsprint BRC guy from there. BRC guy stays behind for a bit longer but then goes on my left and clearly outsprints me. Some other guy comes up next to me, I realize I have one more shift I can do, I shift up and beat him by a wheel or so for 2nd. Awesome!!

My only regret was that I do think I made one error by not using the whole road at the finish. The BRC guy did and was able to cut the corner while I stuck by the yellow line rule which was not in effect for the finish. Not sure it would have made a difference anyway.
Last edited by jraguin on Sun May 01, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pace21
Maillot Jaune

Re: Blue Hills Classic

Post by pace21 »

Great race John and awesome result. We'll keep a spot for you in the 4's, it won't be too much longer I imagine....

I was very pleased with my result today. Total of 4 laps, 28 miles for the Cat 4 field of 75. 1st 2 laps were uneventful, I stayed midpack next to or behind Stefan, just trying to stay sheltered and out of trouble. On the end of the second lap at the hill I moved up into top 10-15 where I tried to stay for pretty much the last 2 laps. Fast forward to the end, I made one slight tactical error, I got lazy approaching the base of the climb and slipped to around 20th spot or so and became boxed in by the yellow line. I really wanted to violate the rule but I played nice. On the second "stair step" it strung out a little so I burned a match to move up to around 10th place, where I stayed until the final sprint. The eventual winner (a somewhat squirrelly but strong unattached rider) took off at the top of the second step, I didn't go and within 10 seconds we were strung out single file and he had about a 3-5 second gap. My sprint began in earnest at the closed road on the left with the traffic cones, it was a painful effort as there were still 200-250 meters left, all uphill. I picked off a couple guys and finished 7th.

I had told myself that a top 5 finish would be an excellent result, so I'm pleased with 7th. Still searching for my first Cat 4 point and payday (need to be top 5 for both).
rusto
Maillot Jaune

Post by rusto »

Great results guys!

:: puts on cub reporter hat ::

Was the wind much of a factor at all?

How about the road conditions (that bumpy stretch of Canton Road as you start your descent on the backside of the course or the little potholes that followed)?

It seemed a bit cool out this morning, any effect on performance?
- Russ, MRC webmaster

#DONTRIDETHATRUSS
taudep
Chasseur

Post by taudep »

Let's see, today was my first day in the 4s.

Warming up on Chris' wheel he was telling me that the climb is big ring all the way. It didn't feel like it when I was cold in the morning, but during the race, indeed it was.

I don't think anything exciting happened in the 4 race until the final climb. There was a small group that tried to escape, but I think the headwind on the backside quickly quelled that desire. The race stayed together and was very tight even up the last climb. I was so boxed in, I didn't even really get to start pushing myself until halfway up it. It was almost comical being stuck in a gear where the cadence wasn't comfortable for the climb, but not being able to go any faster because there wasn't anywhere to go.

Some things I noticed about racing the 4s: less room for moving around. Especially on the last lap where everyone has the whole road blocked off. Speaking of last lap, I now semi-understand why there's so many crashes on the last lap of Cat 4s. People are riding the gutter trying to move up, people are blocking on the yellow line so you can't pass, people are riding with overlapped wheels everywhere, and then, of course the pace is high. I as content to sit back and watch the action from the back, before moving up quite a few spots on the last half of the final climb.

I'm pretty sure my 37th could have just as easily been a 20th with a little more knowledge and experience on getting into a better position earlier.
I'm 20PoundSkull at cyclowhat.com.
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Post by JeremyC »

Congrats guys!
pierso
Peloton

Post by pierso »

Well... I sat on or near John's wheel for 2.5 laps. The group got kind of jammed up coming into the final right turn towards the climb and I was pushed out towards the yellow line. Hit a pothole, double flatted...rode home in last place on a sexy set of 404's, bumming about what could have been.
PJ McQuade
Chasseur

Post by PJ McQuade »

Todd, I think the boxed in feeling you encountered today is more the nature of today's race course. Blue Hills probably feels boxed in every field. It was in the 3s. I think it's because the climb is too shallow to slow the pack down and it's not enough to cause attrition in the field. Last time I did this race was as a 4 two years ago and it felt very similar. I ended up with a good result but didn't really care for the course. When they added a cat 3 field this year I figured why not race and get a good workout in less than an hr. from home? Turned out to be a gorgeous day, the OPPOSITE of last week's horror show up at Quabbin, so that was a big plus. What happened to me in the first two laps was almost comical. Lap 1 I had a pretty good position by the ice skating center and stayed toward the front as we hit the climb. As the road turned up I realized I was out front leading the field up the climb! After the parking lot I slipped back to get out of the wind and did a tucked into the field a little more than I should of. Once you get boxed in on this course there is literally no where to make a move. Lap 2, bottom of the climb, now I'm at the ass-end of the field, completely stopped behind a crash involving two guys. Now I'm DFL, just like that. 1st to last in 1 lap! I had to chase back on on the climb. That hurt worse than my pull on the opening lap. At this point I just sat in and recovered for the next few laps, which seemed to get slower after a 5-man break hung on a minute up the road (no one really chasing). On the last lap I tried to get a better position heading into the climb but it was very tight still. Guys were starting to feel the climb now, 6th time through, pushing close to 20mph up the hill. Things opened up slightly and I made it over a little gap as we hit the final riser and finished toward the back of the "field sprint group." Super fast race at 25.5 mph avg. I have to say it was a little sketchy out there today. The back section off of 138 was rather dangerous given the rough road surface, blistering speeds, and tight field. I'm surprised there weren't any giant pile-ups. "BIg-ring races" aren't really my forte, but sweet day to be out there. Congrats John and Chris, and bummer about Smudger in the master's! Good to see Bill out there too.
To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first.
-Shakespeare
swawersik
Chasseur

Post by swawersik »

There are really two places to improve your position on the Blue Hills course: on Washington St. just after the first turn at the lights and towards the top of the climb. I used both of these places to move up some today, but never bothered spending too much energy to get right at the front. The last few years, this race seemed to come down to the final climb, where if you could stay with the pace, you could pick your way through the blown riders to decent position (Rob and I both surfed this to 11th and 12th last year), even from a little farther back than would seem sensible.

So I didn't work too hard getting to the front, and found myself mid-pack two wheels behind Chris at the bottom of the hill the last time through. When Chris burned a match to move up, I decided to keep my powder dry and be patient for the gaps to open like they did last year. But they never really did, and by the time the front of the race gunned it for the final sprint, I was too far back to do much. I put in a hard sprint at the end - more for the practice than anything - to pick up 2-3 places and rolled across in 21st. Not bad, but would have liked to be closer to the front to have helped Chris.

Lesson learned: don't be afraid to burn a match to get position at the end. It may affect your ability to sprint in the end, but at least might have the chance to affect the sprint for top 10 instead of the one for anonymity.
Smudger
Tête de la course

Post by Smudger »

Well done John. No surprise with this result the way you are riding.

Chris likewise no surprise

My masters 40+ outing was another tale of what could have been.

The field was pretty stacked McCormack and a big Fuji team, Bold and a big Corner Cycles team, full CCB sqaud and Len Engel and a couple of Minutemen ("Betty Ford" Turner and some old Scottish hack). 1st couple of laps were pretty similar. Attacks into the headwind of 138, regrouping down Canton Ave, and nothing too crazy on the climb. Lap 3 started the same but a group of 7 or 8 including Bold got a gap on 138, McCormack jumps across. I saw it all happening and was in a position to react but didn't have the confidence to go. I thought the group would pull them back but with all the main teams in the break there wasn't enough horses. Those guys were gone but there was a steady attrition from the break so our group sprint was going to be for something. Lap 5 had a crash on 138 (think it was Jerry DeZutter from 545 Velo. If anyone has his contacts could they check he's ok). Coming down Canton Ave on the last lap I hear one of the guys who had dropped back from the break say there was only McCormack and 2 others left. I get into full crit mode for the corner at the gas station and pedal through so I am right up there heading towards the climb. I spot my wheel (guy that wins most of the Tuesday night worlds sprints and has calfs the size of my thighs) I stick with it over the 1st lump as we get up the 2nd he has to go left round a fading rider and I need to go right toward the gutter. I've lost my wheel but hey look who's in front of me. Chris Cotou from Met Life. I'm feeling good got a great wheel, we are sitting 4th and 5th wheel of the group and only have the final sprint to go. The group nudges over and the pavement disappears I'm in the ditch made of big sharp granite chunks. I jump back onto the tarmac and then, it's over with less than 200M to go. Rear is totally FLAT and sliding all over the place. I pull off to the side and wait for the SRAM car. Don't know what would have happened in the sprint but I know I had a sprint in my legs today. Think a top 20 finish would have been well within my grasp, possibly a top 10 depending on how many people were up the road, but that's all would have, could have stuff. Even with this frustration I still love this course. Think Len finished strong but don't know where until the results get posted.
onegeardoug
Chasseur

Post by onegeardoug »

Sounds like a really good result for MRC! Excellent result for John. More frustration for the Flying Scot, but it sounds like you were right there. I'm not sure that the course suited me well, but I wished I could have gotten in anyway. Nice works guys!
RFollansbee
Peloton

Post by RFollansbee »

Awesome job guys. Very glad I gave my spot to Todd. I was in no shape to wake up in the morning, let alone race. Nothing like sleeping @ an 8am soccer game.
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Post by JeremyC »

Smudger, I'll work for you at Sterling, but only if you promise to ride on a more reliable tire. How about something with a 320 TPI?
swawersik
Chasseur

Post by swawersik »

JeremyC wrote:Smudger, I'll work for you at Sterling, but only if you promise to ride on a more reliable tire. How about something with a 320 TPI?
Or just solid rubber - you've got enough power that you can deal with the extra weight...
Len_E
Peloton

Post by Len_E »

Great finish John and Chris. Great to see MRC on the podium and in the top ten with very good fields and a tough wind-strewn course.
Mixed bag for me. I like the course although as PJ describes the climb, not the kind of climb to provide separation and without a solid group of people after the climb for a break or chase, the next couple miles are flat and fast and no place for a scrawny climber to be alone...as I found out.
Smudger's comments on the field and the course say it all but after the 7 or 8 man break I was really surprised no one mounted an effort to pull them back. On laps 3 and 4 I took off on the climb and barely triggered a response. Both times I slowed to wait for the pack after cresting the hill. On lap four two guys from 545 take off, both very strong riders, on the flat after the climb and I figured they'd be reeled in as we round the corner onto Rt 138 which had a serious headwind. No one chased and that was where I made my big mistake not trying to bridge. Frankly, I was afraid that if I bridged alone I wouldn't have the legs to stay with them for nearly 3 laps and would end up getting blown out the back of the group when they eventually caught me (foul memories of Battenkill continue to cloud my judgment). So I didn't chase. At the start of the 5th lap I felt pretty good and on the flat section after the climb I took off and by the time I past the parking lot I had a gap but was alone. I got to the police at the stop sign and realized there was no chance I could stay away on 138 in the wind and soft pedaled until the group came back. With that I simply waited until the beginning of the last climb having similar boxed in circumstances as the others. I fought my way to mid-pack at the start of the climb and started to move up but there was very little room. I heard a rock-against-rim noise and looked across the pack (I was on the yellow line) and saw Smudger on the edge. The calf-guy that he was following - Matt Kressy - came all the way over to my side of the road and I hopped on his wheel figuring he would jump the pack at some point. I didn't have long to wait, he jumped, I didn't thinking there was too much left. He finished 6th and I finished 18th, 3 seconds behind him. I just didn't feel like I could maintain my power for that long. I reeled in a bunch of riders but missed a golden opportunity for a top 10.
With a field like this you've got to have great fitness, not make mistakes and have confidence. I'm not there.
argus
Peloton

Post by argus »

Congratulations to everyone.

John, next race ride the Ribble to victory. That would be very cool.
rusto
Maillot Jaune

Post by rusto »

No-flat tire for Smudger:

- Russ, MRC webmaster

#DONTRIDETHATRUSS
ahamilton
Tête de la course

Post by ahamilton »

Sounds like a pretty good day for MRC, despite a few minor "that's racing" incidents. Congrats to all. John R., there will be a lot of happy cat 5s when you move up!

(Note to Smudger: You are built for breakaways! I know a dozen guys that will attest to your sustained power output. You have much more of an engine than me, and I got in (and almost finished with) the winning break in the 45+ a few years ago on that course. Got severely dropped on the final climb, but still took 4th 30 seconds ahead of the field. Go for it next time!)
Smudger
Tête de la course

Post by Smudger »

JeremyC wrote:Smudger, I'll work for you at Sterling, but only if you promise to ride on a more reliable tire. How about something with a 320 TPI?
I have a tub gluing on my Zipp as we speak.

Looking at the state of my crappy Easton rim I don't think any rubber would have survived the ditch I ended in. My carbon rim would also have been trashed so lesson is don't ride in the gutter.
taudep
Chasseur

Post by taudep »

It seems that in the 40+, the break even shed Jonny Bold off it. Maybe no amount of organization was bringing that break back?
I'm 20PoundSkull at cyclowhat.com.
ahamilton
Tête de la course

Post by ahamilton »

taudep wrote:It seems that in the 40+, the break even shed Jonny Bold off it. Maybe no amount of organization was bringing that break back?
That's exactly why you have to be one of the guys IN the break. The only way to find out if you'll get dropped or survive is to be there.
Rob
Chasseur

Post by Rob »

pulling the entire field up to the line, is not going to get a podium once you move up to faster categories.
you need to either Jump and go at it alone, or learn to get positioned. you were probably the strongest in the field, yet you did not win!!

looks like you have amazing fitness, you need to learn to use it for the win!
just my old, slow 2 cents

Rob
Chasseur

Post by Rob »

oh YEAH
Congratulations on your podium!!
jraguin
Tête de la course

Post by jraguin »

Totally agree that my tactics can use lots of improvement and the picture shows it. But they are getting better in each race...on to Sterling.