Quabbin Cat 5

Race reports
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Quabbin Cat 5

Post by JeremyC »

As you will most likely see from other race reports, this was a miserable day weather-wise. Worst race I've done, yes that includes last year at Sterling. 35, snow on the ground and pouring rain for the entire race. CAT 5 participants included Scott S, Gary S and Carl S, along with myself. The 95 person field was missing in action, not sure of the total starters but maybe 60. The race started out fairly boring, on the 3rd of 8 climbs 3 riders got a gap, feeling pretty good I decided to follow my instincts and tried to bridge knowing the no one would want to chase in this weather. Another guy followed, we narrowed the gap, but on the flats I was maxing out, and every once and a while I would pull over so he could pull through. Apparently he didn't want to work, even though the leaders were only 100 yards in front of us. This lasted for 3 miles or so, we hit another climb and my hanger-on decided to accelerate by me and hammer up the hill. Great teamwork dumbass. I was spent so I let him go, and 5 minutes later was swallowed by a significantly smaller peloton which included Sweeney. Happily we caught dumbass shortly after. The rest of the 30 miles were thankfully my last in a cat 5 race, because no one wanted to chase the leaders 1 min ahead. I went to the front a few times but no one would help. I guess they like places 4-15 but not the podium. The last 2 hills shed a bunch and we were down to 10 guys on the last climb. I couldn't feel my feet or hands, nor could I stand for more that 15 seconds before the shooting "cold' flames in my quads made me sit. I put in an honest, albeit frustrated effort for what I believe to be somewhere between 8 and 10 (and yes I beat dumbass). Sweeney, Gary and Carl came in shortly after unscathed, Gary having a much better attitude about the whole debacle than myself.

C'est la vie CAT 5, you won't be missed.

On a humorous side-note, Sweeney had to go #1 for the last half of the race, and even tried to soil himself, but must have had stage fright. He made it about 1ft over the finish line and made a B-line for the woods. Maybe the shrinkage overwhelmed him.
onegeardoug
Chasseur

Re: Quabbin Cat 5

Post by onegeardoug »

After B-kill, I was real motivated so I signed up for Q. I thought about waiting to see what the weather looked like, but didn't. Last night when I saw snow in the overnight forecast, followed by cold rain all day, I decided that I wasn't going. 65 miles of hyperthermia with no way off the course didn't sound at all appealling. I lived in AZ for 20 years for a reason. Meeeeeeeooooooowwwwwww.
carlshimer
Chasseur

Post by carlshimer »

Doug - discretion is the better part of valor.

I have done several events around the Quabbin. The previous worst was the Kings tour of the Quabbin where it rained the last 90 miles. Today it rained 100% of the time. Everyone was soaked on the 3 mile descent out of the park. It was really hard to eat because your hands were so cold. It wasn't so bad that I considered abandoning - but on the first 15 miles or so I noticed a lot of riders coming back the other way so I assume in the earlier races it was just too frigging cold for some people. Gary did a great job spending a good bit of time on the front of our pack. whenever the pace would slow he would shoot to the front and pick things up. awesome.

I tried out the mad alchemy medium ebrocation cream today. What's better than rubbing Shea butter (whatever that is) + other "essential Oils" on your legs? Anyway - seemed to do the trick although sadly doesn't offset cramping.
argus
Peloton

Post by argus »

How cold was it?:
I drank half a water bottle for the whole race and no fuel whatsoever, hand were too frozen to eat and drink.

How wet was it?:
Brining my gear in when I got home, noticed my shoes were awfully heavy, weighed them, they weighed in at 2.6 pounds.
taudep
Chasseur

Post by taudep »

Nice job guys. Sounds like it was solid just finishing. I heard that in the Cat 1/2 race that out of 60 starters, something like 20 finished.
I'm 20PoundSkull at cyclowhat.com.
scott_sweeney
Tête de la course

Post by scott_sweeney »

This race would have been SOOO much better if I could have pissed myself.

Considering I drank one bottle it amazes me that I had to go so bad.

Think I need to see a sports psychologist because clearly I am not the master of my own domain!
Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door.
jraguin
Tête de la course

Post by jraguin »

Stage fright!
taudep
Chasseur

Post by taudep »

because clearly I am not the master of my own domain!
I don't seem to remember this being a problem the morning of Battenkill
I'm 20PoundSkull at cyclowhat.com.