Blue Hills

Race reports
swawersik
Chasseur

Blue Hills

Post by swawersik »

Rob and I represented in the Cat 4s for Blue Hills. We started off mid pack, but Rob did a better job moving up to the front than I, so I had a long-distance view of a 4(?) man break containing at least one each Threshold, CB, and Back Bay. All three teams had 6+ guys in the race, so I was kicking myself at being way out of position to cover a break with plenty of blockers behind. I was picking my way to the front when I was pleased to see Rob bridge to the break. Unfortunately, Threshold/CB didn't really control the front (blocking doesn't mean putting five guys across the first row to prevent people from coming around) and Rob's move served to entice others - and then the whole pack - to go. Yet another Cat 4 break foiled by lousy blocking. In any case, it got me off my keister and I was in the front 15 going over the top of the hill.

Second lap: rinse and repeat, except it started with the break rolling off over the top of the hill and me sending out a bridge attempt that ended up serving to drag the pack back up. Oh well, woke my legs up anyway.

Final lap: a Threshold guy solos off the front at the start of the lap, and everyone's content to let the guy dangle at about 100 meters. His 12 teammates didn't do much to slow the pack, so he just stayed there until near the bottom of the long downhill. I did a lousy job holding position on said downhill and ended up too far back, so I didn't see the catch, but could see Rob sitting nicely near the front.

I tried to stay on the left at the bottom of the hill, as last year I'd been totally boxed in on the right much of the way up (though not really having the fitness a year ago probably contributed). Had no luck on the left side, but made some headway up the middle, then found a space/cyclocross-like line up the right. By halfway up the hill I was in the top 15-20. I could see Rob on the left, but couldn't quite connect, as the right side became a morass of popped riders. This and oxygen debt meant that people started taking some swervy lines. I heard the grunting and bumping sounds of the early part of a crash just to my left, so I gunned it up the right side (though at that point, I'm not sure the change in speed was all that real), missing the second guy to fall by inches, then hanging on to the finish.

Rob must have cleared the crash on the left, as he appeared from the other side just as made it around and we came across for 11th (Rob) and 12th (me). A single Back Bay rider had rolled off the front at the bottom of the final hill, and despite nearly being caught several times on the way up, managed to hang on for the win. Chapeau to him.

How'd the other races go?

Stefan
PJ McQuade
Chasseur

Re: Blue Hills

Post by PJ McQuade »

Way to go Rob and Stefan! Brings back memories of last year. Didn't race this wknd. so it's nice to read the reports. Stay sharp for Sterling.
To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first.
-Shakespeare
BTurner
Chasseur

Post by BTurner »

Great job. Looking for big results from you guys in the Classic.
Smudger
Tête de la course

Post by Smudger »

Raced the 35+ last year and had one of my best races of the year and was hoping for the same again but after the Quabbin fiasco last week I wasn't sure how it would play out.

As discussed with Rich before the race I worked on keeping Mark McKormack in sight the whole time. Which kept me pretty close to the front. Quite a lot of attacks but they all fizzled out pretty quickly on the hill but it did make the race a lot twitchier than last. 2nd time up the hill and the guy to my right looses concentration, touches a wheel and fortunately falls to his right. Not sure he actually went down but there was a lot of screeching and shouting. The 4th time past the parking lot lot the guy immediately in front of me hits a pot hole as he's taking a drink. Everything went into super slow motion. He hit the ground hard, face first (ouch), his bike flies up in the air and 3 or 4 othe guys are taken out. Fortunately I was able to move right an avoid it however my bars slipped down as I hit the same hole that took the guy out. 5th time up the hill I moved to the front and managed to get away over the top with a small group but it didn't last long.

Similar to Stefan I managed to drift into a lousy position as we turned toward the hill for the last time. Only option was a bit of cyclocross up the gutter which worked really well and got me close enough to Mark to be ready to respond. He waited much later than last year and didn't open it up until the junction before the final part of the hill and finish line (guess he left it too late cause he didn't get the win). Little banging about in the sprint (slipped bars didn't help) and came away with a top 20 finish .

Want to hear Rich and Len's story. It's going to be a good one!
Bruce
Tête de la course

Post by Bruce »

Wow, great reports everyone. Miust have been warm out there today. Stefan -- crankin it up. Smudger -- banging bars with the big boys. Nice.
rmazzola
Domestique

Post by rmazzola »

I will provide my side and let Len contribute his if he dares. :)

First race for me since Sterling 2009 so I was a bit rusty in terms of pack racing skills. I told Len during the warm-up that I'll use the first 2 laps to read the course/race and then adjust from there. I also mentioned to him that I had no aspirations other than 1) no crashing, 2) not getting dropped, and 3) getting back into the rhythm of racing. Lap 1 was the hardest for me - physically - but then each one got a bit easier as I figured out where to recover and where to move up. I moved up to the front during laps 3-5 on the flat to downhill sections of the course and then rode my own pace on the climb past the finish.

One attack went clear on Lap 5 but eventually came back. Lap 6 could have been a leg buster as it started with Dmitry Bubin lighting it up on Rt. 138 for a good mile or so of single file 30+ mph speed. Folks took turns keeping the pace high and I slotted somewhere in the top 15 - actually passing Randy Rusk and Joe Rano while I was coasting downhill (yeah - still need to lose some weight.. LOL). We lined up for the sweeping right hand turn that lead to the finishing climb but things got wierd and slowed down just past the turn. It would have been a great place to launch an attack but no one wanted to go. So, we rode tempo for a few minutes before the road tilted upwards. At this point, I'm thinking - "no problem finishing with the field" but then I glance over and see Len off to my left, 2 riders back - he looks really fresh so I motion with my head (intending to pull him to the front). 2 seconds later, he accelerates into a gap on the left side of the road so I jump on his wheel and we ride to the front of the field which is now starting to spread out. I check around and we've got 2 ArcEnCiel guys, 2 CCB guys, Len, and me. I look back and see that everyone is looking at each other so I think - "ok - time to pick it up" - I swing around Len and floor it (for as much as I could floor it at this point) for about 15-20 seconds and then pull off to the should and give the flick of the elbow to give the "I'm done" signal. Now the field is all lined out (which was the intention) and Len is sitting pretty about 3rd or 4th wheel back with less than 1K to go. I tell him to be patient before he disappears around the bend. I shift up and tempo it in from there - never actually seeing how the finish play out.

Looking foward to Sterling and hoping to have a better performance than '09.
Mmmm....pizza.
Len_E
Peloton

Post by Len_E »

John, Rob and Stefan great racing and results. Carry that momentum into Sterling.
45+ race theme (for me) - 'What you don't know will kill you'
Rich and I raced 45+, 6 laps on a 7 mile course with a nice climb at the end of each lap. According to Rich there were some very good racers and during our pre-race strategery he indicated that this kind of group, with many good teams with many members, would likely result in an attack-fest. The climb would provide opportunities for the top teams to distance themselves from the main pack and the long flats would limit the success of chasers.
But it didn't happen. The first two laps the pack stayed together feeling out the course and each other. Very few if any attacks occurred until the beginning of the 4th lap but all attacks were caught with little effort. The race pace was somewhat disjointed, at times very fast and other times full compression. The climb probably had a lot to do with it and the heat didn't help. I was surprised the teams didn't organize better for attacks but it might have been due to the fast pace at key points in each lap.
Rich and I yo-yo'd in the main pack and by the 4th lap Rich seemed to find his legs and headed to the front. We both expected attacks to begin in earnest but only one materialized on the 5th lap and that was caught as well. The last 2 laps saw a lot of jostling for position, lots of elbows and screeching brakes but no crashes. The narrowness of the sections of the road, caused in part by the potholes and the size of the lead pack that remained, limited movement but at the start of the last lap the front strung out into a long line of riders barrelling toward the last sharp turn before the final climb. I felt good and Rich was nearby and edging toward me on the yellow line. He looked at me and we took off for the front at the start of the climb with my taking the lead on the pack and Rich on my wheel. He had enough in the tank to pull ahead and lead me up the first section and at the false flat, the rest of the pack began to pull forward as Rich pulled out. I moved behind a wheel that was moving fairly fast heading into the last steep section and heard Rich yell something like "Len, be patient, it's a little farther."
I stayed tight on the wheel in front of me but a few guys moved ahead on both sides. I wanted to save something for the last section but then heard Paul Curley yell for his leadout man to take off. I was surprised because we seemed to be too far from the finish.
And a few seconds later the lead pack slowed again. I thought to myself, "what the hell are these guys slowing now for?" And as I said that I rode over a thin blue line. D'oh!!!
Yes, I didn't know where the finish was. I thought we had another climb to the finish. Pretty basic stuff and completely unacceptable.
I'm not sure which is worse, barely surviving last week at Quabbin just content to finish or crossing the line at Blue Hills with a lot left in the tank despite a perfect day and a course that aligned well with my strength.
Rich, thanks a ton for the lead out, I wish I was able to use it.
Just found out I finished 19th which makes me feel even worse.
-Len
Bruce
Tête de la course

Post by Bruce »

Oh man, nice play by play. Sounds like a blast, I'm totally jealous.

So now I'll tell you something Curley himself taught me. Before the race, ride the course backwards from the finish line and count 50 pedal strokes. Pick out a marker. That's your jump line.

Anyway, your best move is to stay with Rich -- he knows what he's doing.