Singlespeed-a-polooza

Race reports
onegeardoug
Chasseur

Singlespeed-a-polooza

Post by onegeardoug »

I think I was the only MRC member at SSAP this weekend, although there were a handful of jerseys there from other NE clubs: Bikeman, Cambridge and Geakhouse. Pre-rode the course yesterday and the it was fast, fast, fast. It was mostly flat, dry and smooth, so you could carve the turns like Thanksgiving turkey. Only one real climb, but it wasn't too intimidating, so I put a bigger gear on the bike: 34:16. Was thinking of going even bigger, but with the threat of rain, I was afraid that I'd regret the one I was changing to.

Rained all night. Got to the venue this morning and it was absolutely saturated, still raining and about 45 degrees. I got out of the car and immediately bumped into someone I used to race against regularly in AZ: Dejay Birch. (He went on to semi-greatness and notoriety as a pro/sponsored rider for Niner. I continued along the path of mediocrity...and kept my day job.) According to my cross-centric training plan, I'm just there for a good workout. Way too early in the year to expect a good result. With Dejay there, though, it's ON. I can't ride like a total schmuck in front of my peeps from AZ!

My warm-up was the nearly 1 mile walk to and from the registration tent. 60+ pro/experts on the start line. I had a good start and was probably about 20th for the first several miles. The trail wasn't in too bad of shape...yet, as we were the first group out. (That would change as the 200 other riders followed us!) Still, about 5 miles in I lost the front wheel in a muddy turn and fell awkwardly into a heap on top of, then over my bike, eventually landing right on top of my head. It must of looked really cool. not. Lost a few spots and started riding more tentatively. Not good. Eventually, toward the end of the first lap (12.5 miles), where there is several miles of false-flat road, I started feeling my mojo again and passed several people. The big gear was paying huge dividends. I was killing it on the hammer sections.

Second lap, now the trail was like riding on peanut butter. The natural kind, that separates and has a watery part and thick nasty chucky part. Big chucks of mud flying everywhere, but it doesn't taste like peanut butter... By the end of the race, I was completely covered worse than any of last year's cross races. (Probably because it stopped raining!) The only significant climb was really tough now, almost making me regret my choice of gear. I reeled in a few more riders despite the conditions, but had a pesky rider in a IF kit behind me that wouldn't go away. I couldn't wait for the false-flat road section again! Finally, I'm there. I gap the IF guy, and bridge and pass 2 more riders. Within the last mile, I bridge to another rider just before entering the final single-track section, which is followed by a 75-100m flat sprint on a dirt road to the finish. I already had my plan: Stay on his wheel through the single-track then out sprint him. Good idea, eh? I've got the big gear, so why not. 1/2 mile of twisty, turns, muddy single-track and I'm stuck to him like...natural peanut butter. We come out onto the road and I'm literally a wheel-length behind him. If you've never seen a sprint on singlespeeds, you haven't lived. It looks completely ridiculous. Anyway, I unleash my sprint, quickly demoralized him and "won" by at least 3 bike lengths.

Prizes in pro/expert went 10 deep. Turns out, me and the guy I pimped at the end were sprinting for the first place amongst those who didn't receive anything...other than a muddy bike. I got 11th at 2:05, 15 minutes behind the winner. Dejay placed a disappointing (for him) 5th.

Three kegs of beer, hot dogs and a bunch of cold, tired and wet Singlespeeders at the finish. Too bad there was a 3 hour drive waiting for me, plus another hour of cleaning all my gear.

Thanks for reading. :D
taudep
Chasseur

Re: Singlespeed-a-polooza

Post by taudep »

Hey Doug, Awesome write up. Next year hopefully more of us can join you. I've heard good things about the woods there (drier conditions), and I'm eying up the Darkhorse 40 the end of July.

Congrats on 11th, that doesn't sound to bad considering the company and conditions.
I'm 20PoundSkull at cyclowhat.com.
pace21
Maillot Jaune

Post by pace21 »

onegeardoug lives! Great job, man. And great write up. I find it strangely enjoyable to read our MRC race reports when I get into work on Monday morning. :)
onegeardoug
Chasseur

Post by onegeardoug »

@Rob: Sorry. Didn't mean to "dis" you in my race report. I remembered that you said you were going, but didn't see any other MRC gear there. Looking for you to show up on a ride sometime....