Can we pin some guidelines for group rides?

Moderators: KTeves, djming

tsavage
Chasseur

Re: Can we pin some guidelines for group rides?

Post by tsavage »

I was always wondering if we ran the paceline with the outside moving forward, we would be "overtaking" and hence be within the law in double file.

:?
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells
chindogu
Peloton

Post by chindogu »

On using a time-trial style bike - it's important to accept that those bikes are inherently less maneuverable by design and shouldn't be used on pace-line style rides. Regardless of rider skill and ability, tri-bikes reduce your ability to react and maneuver which is essential in keeping everyone in the group safe. Personally, I feel they have no place in any group ride.
“Boards don’t hit back.”
DCorso
Autobus

Post by DCorso »

chindogu wrote:On using a time-trial style bike - it's important to accept that those bikes are inherently less maneuverable by design and shouldn't be used on pace-line style rides. Regardless of rider skill and ability, tri-bikes reduce your ability to react and maneuver which is essential in keeping everyone in the group safe. Personally, I feel they have no place in any group ride.
Even though I never ride my tri-bike in a group unless it is a tri-style no drafting ride, I don't have a problem with someone riding their tri-bike in a regular group ride provided they stay off the aero-bars. No matter how good your bike handling skills are, you can't react or reach the brakes as fast as you can on a road bike. I've done an informal survey of friends that belong to other clubs and they all stipulate "no riding aero" in a group ride.

I think this is completely reasonable.
michaelcole
Tête de la course

Post by michaelcole »

My 2 cents on the aero equipment discussion...

Riding in the aero position during group rides is definitely not ok.
Bikes that have the aero position option shouldn't be prohibited if they can be ridden in a standard position with hands on the brakes.

The operator is a much more significant factor than the machine in determining a spot on the sketchiness/stability spectrum.
I know guys who could probably navigate the ramps in a skate park while positioned in the aero bars. And we all know guys who are scary to ride with no matter what they are riding.
gcdavid
Chasseur

Post by gcdavid »

Number one rule is communication. If we are double and a car is coming, communicate to the person on the outside where s/he can go. Hard to create a rule for every contingency, but most of the time we can pretty easily slip into a single line by communicating who is going where. When hitting a climb in a pack it is also a good idea to call out "climbing" when standing out of the saddle.

Should NOT be in the aero position unless you are on the front. As Dave said, can't reach the brakes and maneuver all stretched out. Plus, you're already getting the benefit of drafting so not a whole lot of more benefit to be in the aero position. ALSO (and this is huge pet peeve with me) you cannot point out holes and obstacles when in the aero position as quickly. More often than not, when someone in a pack (not leading) they are not pointing out problems on the road.

Another problem is when there is no truth in advertising. If it is advertised as an easy ride, then ride easy. If it is going to be a hard ride, ride hard. When people show up for easy rides and then get shelled off the back as others start sword fighting, that's bad form. Do what you said you were going to do.