2020 Gravel Events

dantelman
Peloton

2020 Gravel Events

Post by dantelman » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:06 pm

I have once again compiled a list of 2020 New England Gravel Events. This is by no means 100% comprehensive as not all promoters have posted their events yet on BikeReg.com

Some events are sold out, however you can get on the waitlist- spots normally will open up.
The first event is Natchaug Epic in nearby Thompson, CT and is March 29.

The link to the spreadsheet listing the events is listed below:

Hup Hup

dantelman
Peloton

Changes to 2020 Gravel events

Post by dantelman » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:59 pm

I have updated the list of Gravel Events for 2020 season. Changes thus far:
Massochista now June 27
Rasputitsa now July 25
Battenkill now September 12
Natchaug Epic will not be held in March, new date TBA soon.

thanks.

Doug Antelman
Hup Hup

dantelman
Peloton

CHanges to 2020 gravel events

Post by dantelman » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:48 pm

List updated again. Due to USAC extending its permit cancellation through May 3, this now impacts the following events:
Muddy Onion
Waterbury Gravel Grinder
Cranko de Mayo

I've updated the list, let's see if and how the promoters reschedule these events.
Hup Hup

dantelman
Peloton

Re: 2020 Gravel Events

Post by dantelman » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:28 pm

Muddy Onion and Waterbury GG are cancelled for 2020. They will not reschedule and they said to come back in 2021.
Hup Hup

dantelman
Peloton

Re: 2020 Gravel Events-update as of April 19

Post by dantelman » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:22 pm

The list of gravel events has been updated. Please note the following changes:

3G (Guilford Gravel Grinder) is now Sept. 27
RAID Rockingham is now Sept 19
Natchaug Epic *tentative* date is August 9. However that date is not official until Richard announces it.

Vermont Gran Fondo has closed its registration and will announce after May 1 if they will hold the event.
Hup Hup

dantelman
Peloton

Post by dantelman » Mon May 25, 2020 12:59 pm

Rasputitsa and VTGF postponed until 2021. Sorry folks.
Hup Hup

djming
Chasseur

Post by djming » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:32 am

Dave Mingori

djming
Chasseur

Post by djming » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:43 am

And Overland:

DUE TO COVID19, FOR THE HEALTH AND SAFETY OF OUR CUSTOMERS, ALL VERMONT OVERLAND 2020 EVENTS HAVE BEEN CANCELED. FOR THOSE WHO HAVE REGISTERED FOR OUR 2020 EVENTS, WE WILL OFFER SCHEDULED SMALL GROUP PRIVATE ARRANGEMENTS THAT WILL COMPLY WITH ALL VERMONT EXECUTIVE ORDER REQUIREMENTS.
Dave Mingori

remad
Peloton

Post by remad » Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:17 pm

djming wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:43 am
And Overland:

DUE TO COVID19, FOR THE HEALTH AND SAFETY OF OUR CUSTOMERS, ALL VERMONT OVERLAND 2020 EVENTS HAVE BEEN CANCELED. FOR THOSE WHO HAVE REGISTERED FOR OUR 2020 EVENTS, WE WILL OFFER SCHEDULED SMALL GROUP PRIVATE ARRANGEMENTS THAT WILL COMPLY WITH ALL VERMONT EXECUTIVE ORDER REQUIREMENTS.
Where are you seeing this? I do not see it on BikeReg or on the Overland website.

djming
Chasseur

Post by djming » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:21 pm

Hmm, that's interesting as I followed the "Event Website" link off BikeReg and copied the notice right from their page, but now it's not there.
If you do a google search you'll notice some of the language does appear.
Dave Mingori

cbusick
Tête de la course

Post by cbusick » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:31 am

Got this from Natchaug today:

Hello,

We hope this finds you well and your community healthy.

Originally scheduled for March 29, the Natchaug Epic will be re-booted to run on Sunday, Aug. 9. Out of respect for concerns over the COVID 19 virus we are introducing a new "Friendly Format" that will integrate social distancing guidelines into the conduct of this event. This applies both on and off the bike. We appreciate the patience of our riders, volunteers, staff and host communities during these historically challenging times.

We do not make this proposal lightly. We recognize and appreciate the gravity of the Coronavirus. We realize there may still be considerable public health concerns over any social interaction. That said, bicycling is one of the few activities encouraged by public health officials. There is considerable evidence that outdoor cycling presents a low risk of infectious transmission. And the bulk of our activity is a rural bicycle tour of Windham County roads during which participants have minimal contact with each other in a highly ventilated, outdoor activity in a rural environment.

We realize that logic is of nominal value if people do not FEEL safe. Respectful of that we will spread out registration outdoors, soften the start between 8 and 11 a.m., spread out the rest stop offerings, create an outdoor post-ride beer garden, offer grab-and-go food, and move to a virtual awards ceremony.

We will introduce a modified version of what had been dubbed in the 20th Century as a "Gentlemen's Race". We choose to update that name to be a "Friendly Format." Individual segment times will still be recorded. But we will start and score riders as teams. Riders will start in intervals much like a team time trial. Teams are all scored based on times posted by their slowest rider. Hence teams are discouraged from working with other teams or forming a peloton. Unaffiliated riders are still welcome to ride, starting at the end of each category with a start time set in small waves subject to public health guidelines and personal discretion. Out of courtesy, all riders are asked to respect the expressed social distancing requests of other riders.
-Chris Busick

condonm1
Autobus

Post by condonm1 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:58 pm

Regarding The Overland - here is a copy of the last email I received from Peter Vollers.

Hello lovely people:

This is the first combined email I've ever sent to both our gravel biking and overlanding communities and I hope this message finds each and every one of you safe and healthy. As I'm sure you can imagine, event promoters have been hit hard (decimated) by the virus lockdowns. Most have had no choice but to postpone all 2020 events to 2021 and there will likely be more of the same to follow. Given that two of VO's three events already take place later in the year and we have very solid venues, I've decided to hold out and consolidate our events into one crazy-ass week of adventure. Behold:

VOPALOOZA, AUG 22-30, 2020!!

Here's the star-studded lineup:

Saturday, August 22, 2020: VOMAR: https://www.vermontoverland.com/vomar

Sunday, August 23, 2020: VERMONT OVERLAND BIKE RACE: https://www.vermontoverland.com/overland/

Thurs, August 27 thru Sunday, August 30, 2020: VO BIRDWATCHING SAFARI (overlanding event): https://www.vermontoverland.com/vobs

Why late August? A bunch of reasons, but the main one is many of us in the event game are worried about a "second wave" lockdown in the fall. Plus, August is peak season for Vermont's second biggest industry next to logging and that's weddings. If the state prohibits gatherings, then they're essentially prohibiting weddings and that's like, well, prohibiting logging in Vermont. It just can't happen. In a nutshell, I simply won't accept that Vermont will not be open to group outdoor recreational gatherings by August. If they are not, then, and mark my words, this little state that depends almost entirely on recreational tourism for it's very existence, will have far, far worse things to worry about than the virus. Let's just leave it at that.

SO GRAVEL CYCLING PEEPS, DO THE RACE AND COME AND BRO/SIS OUT WITH OVERLANDING PEEPS (a growing number of you are one and the same already) AND CHECK OUT ALL THE COOL CAMPING/GRAVEL EVENT-GOING RIGS AND SETUPS AND OVERLANDING PEEPS, GRAB WHATEVER BIKE YOU HAVE AND EXPERIENCE SOME EPIC TWO-WHEELED HUMAN-POWERED (ebikes welcome as well) ADVENTURE TO EARN ALL YOUR AWESOME CAMP CHOW THE FOLLOWING WEEKEND!

ALL ARE WELCOME TO CAMP AT THE VENUE FREE OF CHARGE ALL WEEK!

Yes, I know that moving of dates isn't going to work for everyone. All I can tell you is we're doing the very best we can with this virus and taking body blows in the process. If you all can bear with us and embrance these changes, you have no idea how much it will mean to me. If you can't, contact me and I'll try to make it right for you.

Oh, and just as a little sweetener, for anyone registering for VOBS now through the end of June, I'll send you last year's town highway map set fully annotated with the all usable Class 4 roads in central and southern VT annotated for traversing difficulty (both bike and 4x4 applicable) as well as the best off the beaten path country store, craft brewery, winery, pottery, you name it stops on the planet. Believe me, this map set is worth the price of admission in and of itself.

You guys have my word. Vermont will need to have out and out banned mass outdoor events for VOPALOOZA to be canceled. And even if that happens, we'll follow suit with our brethren and postpone to next year honoring all of your registrations.

So, there's really nothing to lose. Let's all have something to look forward to THIS YEAR. Block out the last week in August, register for all three events and get your biking and camping gear together and we'll all have one huge-ass adventure party in Vermont come August 22!

Until then, stay safe, healthy and happy.

Peter Vollers, Vermont Overland
“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring” – Desmond Tutu

cbusick
Tête de la course

Post by cbusick » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:52 pm

New Overland Update

Hello all:

After giving this more thought than I think I've ever given anything and with full respect for those who don't agree with me, I've decided to stay true to my heart and not cancel or postpone the VO events now scheduled for late August, 2020 unless we are required to do so by federal, state or municipal rules, regulations laws or orders.

I'm doing this because I feel in my soul that we all need something to look forward to. Even if the events must be postponed come August, I thoroughly believe that a positive attitude and, more importantly, positive imaging in our hearts and minds, will help us get through this crisis in a better way.
-Chris Busick