Myles Standish

Race reports
eboos
Peloton

Myles Standish

Post by eboos »

Cat 4

I had a pretty solid week. 5 minute power was insane (378 watts). 1 hour power was just below my winter test power and I was feeling pretty good. I figured this would be a good race to really push for a solid result. My main goal was to not let any break happen like at Hatfield. Weather was coldish, too cold for just my skinsuit, but too warm for a jacket and I didn't have a base layer or arm warmers with me. I went with a jacket.

At the beginning of the first lap, I am off to the right side and sort of stuck. I could see some people trying to make moves, but where I was positioned I was totally blocked in. Nothing happened, and I was able to get towards the inside where I had more room to maneuver. Just before the turn at the end of the first lap, I attack along with 3 others. Unfortunately this didn't produce anything and I drift back a bit to recover.

At the end of the second lap I use a little free speed to drift up to 2nd, but by the time we pass the finish, a bunch of people launched. I was averaging 260 watts up to now, and while my heartrate never really climbed, my legs were pretty sore. I drifted back and by the time we got to the rough pavement I lost the pack. Soloed the rest of the race averaging 250.

I think my plan was the right one, but I think my legs were in rough shape from the hard efforts earlier in the week. Felt good pushing things while it lasted, but probably should have done a few easy spins during the week. 30/38.