Wallum Lake XC mtb race

Race reports
oscarp
Chasseur

Wallum Lake XC mtb race

Post by oscarp »

First race of the efta headbanger series. Most people except Busick will tell you this is a tough course. Experts did 3 laps of a 7mi loop. Aside from a few very short easy sections the course was a neverending barage of rocks, even in the single track, which the course was mostly comprised of. They changed it up a bit from last year and added a a technical section that was on the mid-state trail. So they made a technically hard race even harder. I prerode the course with Reid the sunday before. Glad we did because it also showed me how much better he's riding. He was not discouraged by the course and rode most of it pretty well. It also had rained alot that week so the course probably was going to be muddy (it was). The mud bogs deeper (they were).

Last year I suffered and did not have a good race. I struggled not too long into the course, almost getting run over by Busick, and for the rest of the race I hit every rock, root, and rut. Probably didnt help that I prerode the course as my warmup. Not making that mistake this year. I had a couple plans: to enter the first single track section but in a good position, not let Busick beat me, and not let Jeremy and Brian beat me (they didnt show, so technically speaking i beat them), and get top 10 since Reid is a little discouraged in my CX results (which im not good at) that everyone was beating me.

Reid wanted to warmup with me. I love it that he's so into it, but its at 40% of my threshold hr so not exactly a great warmup, but his enthusiasm warms me up (awe). 15 minutes before the race I ask him to let me go and do 1 effort. He did, and that was great, but didnt give me confidence to be ready if the start was a hammerfest. Reid was going to be on the course shortly after and Anna did a great job riding with him.

Whistle blows, nothing too bad. Kinda surprisingly relaxed pace. I get in front after the parking lot drop. We shoot down onto the straightway heading toward the first single track. A few guys get in front of me. Then I edge up and enter the single track right in second place. The guy in front of me wasnt a smooth singletracker but did set a good pace. I look back and see gaps all open all over the group. Soon we came up to some marathon riders (6hrs on this course, even im not that glutton for punishment) but the guy in front did a good job calling out ahead and we cruised right by.

After coming out of that singletrack, the front guy just pulls off and stops. Im in the lead! Im so psyched! Then I enter Pain in the Pullman, which is just a nasty tough singletrack trail, looking back I see a few guys not too far back. This is where Busick almost steamrolled over me last year. The first part you basically have to muscle thru. Well I again on the same spot I went over my bars. Damn it. I get back up, grab my bottle, and a few guys roll past. I was in the lead for what 30 seconds then blow it. I was mad I didnt count how many riders so I assumed 3 or 4. I saw Scott Martin who is 50+ (also puts in pro times) so I assumed there might be a mix of 40+/50+ in there so I might not be in a bad spot. Then I just put my head down and did my best to motor. I quickly forgot the bar flip and started feeling good on how good I was riding the tough sections compared to last year. At times I began to see Cactus on the switchbacks so I felt I was closing in on the 19-39 group that started ahead of us. I passed one of the guys from the group that passed me and he looked in his 40s so I was hoping to keep this up.

On the second lap, I pass Reid who was letting me through. Hes not doing bad im thinking. Then im closing in on Cactus (not knowing he was rocking the 19-39 group at the time). We are approaching a big mud bog and the next thing I see is Cactus pulling himself out of the bog. He was groaning pretty loud. Eek. Hoped he was ok. I hadnt seen Busick in a while hope hes ok. I decide to ride thru the middle of the mud bog toward the end of lap 2. Big mistake, it was deep. And cold. My feet are numb. I see Katie taking pictures in the distance, make sure Ive got my race face on.

On the last lap, I start to fade a bit. The course is muddied up pretty well. I had 2 50+ riders were trading spots with me for a while. My chain drops after a mud bog (yes apparently narrow wide 1x can drop chains). Take me forever to get it back on. I see riders closing in on me the distance. Put my head down and motor. Im closing in on Josh, a former UNH'er, who won the 19-39 group. Im heading thru last stretch, Katie yells Reids just up ahead, also looking back seeing a few riders closing in on me, and I then see Busick on the side, oh no i thought, but yelling "are you still in second?". Im psyched, i thought i was in 5th, and drive it to the finish.

Yeah I ended up in 2nd. A good 2:12hr of pain. But Im pumped. Confidence booster of where my mtb fitness is right now. Its been a very long time since I was on the expert podium. I won a cookie for all that. I was hoping for beer, but Reid was psyched to eat the cookie and even more impressed that I took 2nd. So that was worth it. Though he did say id need to win to be cooler than Brian. I did mention to him Busick won last mtb race at ohill.

Reid had a great race. Came in 4th at 1:49hr. Was just a few minutes down on 3rd. And he had a great time on such a tough course. Kudos to Anna for sticking with Reid during the race. Katie got some great shots.
Oscar
mfwestbe
Chasseur

Re: Wallum Lake XC mtb race

Post by mfwestbe »

Awesome report, and congrats on the podium! after what sounds like a heck of a race
I guess nate Harrison is paying off