Grant's Tomb Criterium 2019

Race reports
Jacob
Peloton

Grant's Tomb Criterium 2019

Post by Jacob »

I recorded video of this race which is pretty good for me to watch while I ride the trainer but isn't really exciting enough to justify the effort of putting it on YouTube. Past experience suggests that if I include the word "CRASH" in the title and pick the right thumbnail I could get about 500 views but my kids refuse to eat YouTube views even if I mix them with mac & cheese so this will be text only.

The weather was pretty good but it didn't stop me from wearing my winter wool coat as part of my warmup outfit as I am still in PTSD from this race 2 years ago. I felt ok not great and raced pretty (very) conservatively through the 3/4 race which was fine because nobody won on a breakaway. I had a good view of one crash on the outside of turn 3 before the little hill and there was also chronic group consternation on turn 1 with maybe some other crashes that I didn't see. Near the finish I told myself I wanted to be in the first 8 wheels at the start of the last lap which was weirdly specific but I managed to achieve that goal just barely. I should have also had some clearly defined objectives for what I wanted to do after that but didn't for whatever reason. In the finish I was behind Tate K. and thought that was a pretty good spot but despite being 19 and having a lot of saddle waggle he isn't any better at sprinting than I am so I rolled in for 6th. Winner had a lead-out but I failed to read that.

I raced the 2/3 conservatively as well but that was the only option really. Coming off turn 4 after the hill I found it difficult to match the speed on the flat before the downhill but just ground it out for all the laps. Whatever watts I had for the sprint were purely the equal and opposite reaction force to the propellant action of my thighs vomiting up into my pelvis. Tough race!

Regarding the "every category gets a separate result" thing, I found it difficult to form a strong opinion on this, but I'm now leaning towards "anti". It might make more sense if your category doesn't have its own race, but that wasn't the case here, at least for the men.
pace21
Maillot Jaune

Re: Grant's Tomb Criterium 2019

Post by pace21 »

I love the phrase "chronic group consternation". We all know exactly what you mean!

And yes, Tate has mucho saddle waggle lol

I really want to do this race again and make it into a full weekend like 2 years ago. We'll have to remember when booking Cali to avoid the dates...
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Post by JeremyC »

I love the strategic honesty.
peterkuhn
Domestique

Post by peterkuhn »

Nice write-up!! That's such a cool course but I'm not jealous of anyone in a twitchy pack through some of those corners