Secret Squirrel

Race reports
cbusick
Tête de la course

Secret Squirrel

Post by cbusick »

Secret Squirrel

First, thanks for all the “support”. We had enough MRC or friends of MRC on the course that it felt like I was getting advice/constructive criticism on every turn. That definitely makes it a lot more fun.

First race was the 40+. Pare was laughing at me in the grid because there was NOBODY behind me. I followed Ed Parsons into the heckle bowl, only to have him bobble the hill, no idea why I didn’t choose a different line. I beat him on the remount but wasn’t able to shake him for a couple laps. I kept thinking, common, Ed, quit already! I still have two races to go. Trying to hold Ed off, got me close to Matt Hersey, but I just couldn’t close the gap. After 3 laps I was pretty gassed and looked over at the lap card to see if it said 2 or 1 to go. BUT NO, it said FOUR!!! Oh boy.

Somewhere in the next lap I really figured out the corners. I was running Vittoria Wet 40mm, which are essentially like mini-MTB tires and they were hooking up great. Matt was costing into the switchbacks but I was sprinting, then slamming the brakes and sprinting out, gaining 10 feet or so per turn until I was on his wheel at the end of the lap. He was killing me on the run ups though, since my enthusiasm for running hadn’t yet recovered from Suffern. I waited for the heckle bowl, and drilled it to get ahead, then kept going hard until he finally cracked.

The remaining laps I tried to catch up to an out of shape looking Mark McCormak, but every time I got close he’d drill it again to maintain the gap. I thought of asking him to ease up long enough for Katie to get a picture of us side-by-side, but…

Single Speed.
The fist challenge was dealing with all the chatter from Cactus who’d lined up in the grid behind me. Then we started and I was thinking things are nice and settled in until we hit the first run up and Cactus blew by me on the right. Oh Crap, Cactus can run? This could be a problem.

I passed him back on the straight away by the pit, but again he ran by me on the run up. Ugh. I sat on his wheel figuring I’d let him go for a while and wait for him to blow up. Then on the little up/down area he washed out the front a little while setting up for the last up. Ha, ha, he nearly lost it there. I think this is the corner where Briana took out Chandler. Then BAM, I was on the ground after washing out at the same spot. The WTB riddlers on the SSCX were not hooking up nearly as well as the Vittoria Wets. A couple riders got by me and now Cactus had a gap.

Next lap at the same turn one of the Nect guys washed out at the same place, taking me out. Before I could get going again I got run over by Nate and the rest of the Fat Bike podium. Somehow they released my boa strap and my left shoe was nearly off. Now cactus was out of sight with about 6 guys between us. One of whom was Lucas “None Shall Pass” Provost. How was I going to explain this to Pare?

Third lap I got ahead of the Nect guy before the washout turn, but was stuck behind Lucas and watched everyone else ride away. Finally on the straight by the Start/Finish I sprinted around Lucas and kept going. I caught up to Tate Kukubo and sat on his wheel for a while. We picked off a few guys since we were pretty recovered from being stuck behind Lucas. Then a couple turns ahead I saw Cactus!! How did that happen? By the start/finish Tate was almost on Cactus’s wheel. “I just need to beat that next guy or I’ll never live it down” I yelled to Tate. “Oh, inter-MRC rivalry?” he replied. I went around him and was right on Cactus’s heels going up the big run up. “Click” Katie snapped the shot of us at the top. “Well, that just made Cactus’s day” I thought to myself.

I got around Cactus shortly afterwards and slowly opened a gap. With 2 laps to go I looked back before the first log and saw the gap looked reasonably safe, esp since Lucas had passed Cactus, making an excellent barrier. Since I had time, I grabbed a beer from the woman in the purple coat, downed it and tossed the cup, maybe a little too casually because now I was nearly on top of the second log, which I totally screwed up, getting the front tire over, but slamming it with the belt-ring and rear wheel, tossing me over the bars to slam into the ground chest first. I grabbed the bike and pulled it out of the way for Tate who said “I did that too last lap” as he went by.

The finish was uneventful, Cactus never came back. I went to the pit to grab my Crux for the Donut Madison.

Donut Madison
Brian started for team “Bronuts”. At the start you have to eat a donut, then go. The siren sounded and Wissel took off in like 1 second, I don’t know what he did to that donut, but it was a LONG time before the next racer choked down enough donut to take off. Brian finished his lap with us in 9th place, I grabbed the RFID from him and went to get my donut. Katie pointed out a chocolate glazed, which was about 3 times the size of your normal Dunkin’s donut. It took me forever to choke it down, then I took off. My legs said NO, and I had doubts if they would work well enough to get up the fist run up. At least nobody passed me, and I picked off Wissel’s teammate and a couple more, gave the RFID back to Brian and waited. Brian choked down his next donut and did his lap.

This next time I picked out my own donut, grabbing a creme filled, which I was able to jam into my mouth in two bites. I wonder if this is what Wissel used at the start? I took off, with my mouth stuffed and nearly choked on the run up. I wasn’t until the sand pit before the finish that I managed to choke down the last of it.

I tagged up and Brian had to eat one more donut before crossing the finish line. No idea how we did, but we didn’t podium, and we didn’t puke, so I’ll take it.
-Chris Busick
strat
Peloton

Re: Secret Squirrel

Post by strat »

Huge respect to Busick for the triple play...I can't handle donuts in the best of digestive circumstances so quite how you fellas kept these down between laps is impressive.

I entered the "Sport" men (along with Don, Mike Condon and Michael Cole)...Crossresult points no better than 300 so this staged me in the 7th or 8th row (row discipline wasn't strictly policed so it was sort of one big pack nearer the back). After last weeks exploits at Shedd Park I wanted to have a clean race and not nose dive into the dirt or otherwise end up on the deck somehow! Thought about throwing the file treads on but stuck with the all rounder MXP's and these seemed like a decent option.

First year for me at the Squirrel and I understand that this year's course was a much modified version over previous years. It was a welcome relief not to be contending with the mud bogs and squishy grass sections for a change...maybe my bottom bracket and headset will last until the end of the season seeing how they were spared the hose this weekend!? Seemed like I burped a few pounds out of the tires during the race - either that or I was getting lazy with my line choices - as I was bottoming out the rims on some of the larger roots. The predictor had me at 41st and I placed...41st!
michaelcole
Tête de la course

Post by michaelcole »

Ian,
The predictor was broken down into two separate groups: the "sport" and the "50+ open", but the results had the two fields combined into one list. If you were picked to finish 41st in your particular field and finished 41st in the combined then you beat the predictor by quite a bit.
Predictor had me at 11th in the masters field and there were 20+ sub-50 cat 3s racing with better points than myself so I was predicted to be mid 30s in a combined race. After another mediocre start, I felt like I was behind the predictor and I didn't manage the twistys as well as I think I should have. The logs and the bowl were fun and the two run-ups hurt but I finished feeling almost fresh like I should have and could have gone harder. Couldn't find any results before I left so I went home thinking I had put together another poor showing but I apparently was 7th in the 50+ and 22nd in the combined. I'll take it.

Congrats to Brian and Chris for logging so many fast laps. I would have liked to stick around and done the donut race with someone.
strat
Peloton

Post by strat »

michaelcole wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:47 am Ian,
The predictor was broken down into two separate groups: the "sport" and the "50+ open", but the results had the two fields combined into one list. If you were picked to finish 41st in your particular field and finished 41st in the combined then you beat the predictor by quite a bit.
Predictor had me at 11th in the masters field and there were 20+ sub-50 cat 3s racing with better points than myself so I was predicted to be mid 30s in a combined race. After another mediocre start, I felt like I was behind the predictor and I didn't manage the twistys as well as I think I should have. The logs and the bowl were fun and the two run-ups hurt but I finished feeling almost fresh like I should have and could have gone harder. Couldn't find any results before I left so I went home thinking I had put together another poor showing but I apparently was 7th in the 50+ and 22nd in the combined. I'll take it.
Thanks Mike...couldn't see the results posted for separate fields anywhere, where did you see your 50+ placing?
Briana
Chasseur

Post by Briana »

I tripled up at Secret Squirrel which turned out to be a smart decision since the course was so rad.

Elite: race predictor had me 10th Masters and 15th overall. I set my expectations around midpack overall, it was a well stacked field. The course changes this year really suited me and had Miles and Brant both in distress. Wait, they eliminated the way to LONG power section? Me :D , them :( . I got a good start from I think the third row, maybe the second. I was running around 10th place place with Myerson and Hildebrand, Myerson was sliding out everywhere and obviously not on his A game since I was still with him after the first couple laps. I heard at one point the announcers mention Hildebrand in third for the Masters race so I guess that put me in forth. I ended getting by both Myerson and Hildebrand about 1/2 way through the race and to my surprise they didn't stay with me. Hmmm, weird. Soon the announcers we suggesting I was leading the Masters race, I was shocked, but ready to win this thing, finally I was prepared to figure out how to win it. I was pretty focused today and really enjoying the course. Jeff Craddock caught my wheel on the second to last lap and got past my on the steep run-up. He got a couple second gap but I was slowly able to real him back in. Thankfully my mind was still clear and I started trying to figure out where I could make a move rather than just settling for second. The course was super tight and I didn't have a lot of options. Toward the end of the last lap at the little up down right left dippy thing, he took the outside line and I darted inside. It was a little bit of a chop but he went outside and left it open before cutting back inside. It was the right line most of the time but considering I was right on his wheel and looking to pass he probably should have taken the inside and pushed me out. I didn't feel that bad he has gotten the best of me in similar situations. Most recently at Really Rad when he took the win and I was second. Anyway I was able to hold him off for the Masters win, and 7th overall. Super stoked with that one.

Singlespeed: Race predicted 4th I think. My expectations drastically changed for this one after winning the Masters Elite race. I was thinking I'd need a top 5 SS result to save my points for the weekend but after the Elite race the pressure was off. I started at the front and rode pretty strong for about a lap. I could quickly see that one lap was about all my legs were going to give me in this race. My focus was now on having fun and looking for hand-ups. I think I dropped back to 13th by the finish. Still enjoying this sweet course although my fingers and triceps are certainly feeling it at this point.

Donut Madison: race predictor says top 3 maybe, who cares really it's a freaking donut race. I am well prepared for this race, i have put a lot of time into studying the rules, regulations and results from last year. Mike gets us all to the start and lays out the rules, SHIT, everything from last year has been thrown out the window. We won't be enjoying these donuts while our partners take a lap, we will be pounding them down as quick as possible after taking the FRID handoff from our partner and before completing our laps. I start by choking down a large chocolate glazed donut which I stuff in my mouth but don't actually finish until about 5 minutes into my lap. I hand off to Chris B, the better half of team Bronuts and he chokes down a chocolate glazed. I ran for a water bottle while Chris was doing his lap since, that seems to be the secret to professional eating competitions from what i've seen. Chris comes around and makes the handoff, I have no idea if he has made up any spots or not but again who cares it's a freaking donut race. I choke down my second chocolate glazed this time with water, I think I cut a few seconds off my eating time. I start off with the water bottle and a face full of donut, the announcers seem impressed with this technique and dedication to the eating portion of the race. I toss the bottle toward Chris after the first couple turns. 5-8 minutes go by and I make the next hand-off to Chris and he repeats the donut crushing and is off for his last lap. He completes the lap and makes the last handoff, I crush my last donut and walk across the finish line. Not sure how we did be we each successfully ate about 1500 calories in 20 minutes while riding bikes for about 10. Those were great donuts, I wish I had time to enjoy them.

Brian A, Brianna
Brian Anderson
jraguin
Tête de la course

Post by jraguin »

Awesome Brian. Especially the donuts. That is one race I may do next year.
cbusick
Tête de la course

Post by cbusick »

This is a race everyone should do next year
-Chris Busick
Briana
Chasseur

Post by Briana »

cbusick wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:33 pm This is a race everyone should do next year
Agreed, This should be a double MRC point race for next year.
Brian Anderson
chrismitchell
Domestique

Post by chrismitchell »

This was an awesome race, great venue and a ton of fun. For me, it was a weekend of 'almost'.

First came the beginner men's race. I was debating between the beginner and intermediate but ended up settling on the beginner race where I was projected to finish 9th. I had no idea how this was going to go. The mountain bike style course suited me well I thought but I've also done pretty well in the mud this year (there was none on this course). So I started off behind a guy from Matt from Quad cycles who has won a few of the 4/5 races this year, I figured if I could hold his wheel at the start, I'd be in good shape. The first few turns were insane, tons of contact and jockeying for position, going into the first run-up I was probably hanging in the top 12 or so. Going up the side of the bowl (heckle hill) I saw people having to dismount and crashing all over the place. I decided to dismount and manage to pass by Matt from Quad along with a few others who got stacked up on the hill. Up the next run up and over the logs and things are just starting to thin out at the front. I found myself hanging onto the back of a pack of 5 riders with Justin Ossa from Stedmans up leading the pack. He was starting to pull away from the others in the group and I was stuck following behind through the tight turns. I managed to squeeze by a few and got by another when he slid out. At this point the leader was about 15 seconds off the front with a Junior rider about 10 seconds ahead of Justin and myself. By the middle of the fourth lap we were already hitting lap traffic, he was having to call out to the lap traffic every 20 seconds or so. At this point I figured 2nd was out of reach and I couldn't see 5th behind me so I decided to hang on Justin's wheel and let him deal with navigating the lap traffic. This was a great plan until we hit heckle hill on the last lap, he made it to the top and slid out forcing both him and me to dismount. I fumbled to dismount and he pulled out a solid 10 second gap. I was able to close about half of that by the end of the race but couldn't quite catch him. Still pretty happy with 4/92, with some solid points under my belt, I could just chill out in the Single Speed race, right?

Race #2: Singlespeed
Feeling good coming off of a strong showing in the beginner men's race I didn't have much in the way of expectations for SS. I lined up behind Busick and followed him through the first couple 'S turns'. I was surprised that I was still with him on the way up the first run up. I was even more surprised when I passed him on the first run up. Okay, now it's a race. No longer able to just hang back I had ego's to crush. I felt like a little kid in a toy store, really I just wasn't ready for the moment. I kept looking back for him and he was always right there... until he wasn't... Somehow this made the pressure even more intense. I was half expecting him to come jumping out of the bushes laughing at me for thinking I had a chance at beating him. Coming by the start/finish line after the second lap with 4 to go on the card was a real hit to the morale. At this point Tate Kokubo had caught up with me. I was again baffled, because... well... he's a much better rider than I am. He crashed and I got back past him and then on the first run up on the 4th lap he went by me again and alerted me 'Your teammate it coming for you'. To which I replied, 'He should already be up here'. This pass would ultimately be my undoing. Tate fumbled on his way up not one but two of the hills. In both scenarios I had nowhere to go and lost at least 5-10 seconds per incident. On the second of those fumbles, Busick went cruising on by. He was never out of sight, but I never had another shot to get by.

So I didn't get my podium and I didn't get Busick, but at least I know I had him sweating a bit. Earlier in the day I made the statement that if I ever beat Busick I'd retire from racing immediately... and well, I'm really enjoying racing at the moment. In the end, my points from the Novice race were discarded in favor of my SS points. Sadly I could not use them both...
cbusick
Tête de la course

Post by cbusick »

Cactus, you didn't mention that if you'd have gone as hard in the beginner race as you did in the first 5 laps in the single speed trying to beat me you'd have been on the podium
-Chris Busick
pace21
Maillot Jaune

Post by pace21 »

cbusick wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:33 pm This is a race everyone should do next year
I really hope they get overwhelmingly positive feedback and keep the course the same
strat
Peloton

Post by strat »

pace21 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:32 pm
I really hope they get overwhelmingly positive feedback and keep the course the same
We might want to have the team tents upwind of the crapper's though!!
BikeRider
Peloton

Post by BikeRider »

The smell was worth the convenience. Compared to a race like Really Rad Festival of CX where you really had to plan out your trips. :-)
Bike Rider
mohinishvi
Domestique

Post by mohinishvi »

That sounds so much fun! Cactus (hehe!) You should probably frame the photo. It has your bike's triangle ahead of busick on the hill :D :D :D :D :D
michaelcole
Tête de la course

Post by michaelcole »

pace21 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:32 pm I really hope they get overwhelmingly positive feedback and keep the course the same
I would like to see a series that just repeats this course, the Quad CX course, and the two courses at Bolton Fairgrounds. Maybe Orchard cross too if it's not a total mud pit.