Fall River Crit

Race reports
djming
Chasseur

Fall River Crit

Post by djming »

I sorta have to thank Chris Pare and his indecisiveness for this result.
Back story - originally Pare said he was in for the 40+ so I decided to forego what was at the time a small 50+ field to race with him in the 40+. So we reg'd up but couldn't get any other takers. Then, after realizing he couldn't get rid of his Overland entry, told me he was leaning towards VT. A final check in Friday before reg closed and was told 20% chance he'd be at Fall River. Now the 50+ field is getting real interesting, including a bunch of guys I'll be facing at GMSR. 20% isn't odds I bank on so added the 50+ to my reg.
An overnight text Saturday (as in ~11PM) from Pare says he's now in for Fall River. Sorry, but I'm sticking with my 50+ plan. Maybe (probably not..) I'll double back.

Lining up for the 50+ I'm watching the ClifBar/Giordana guys (Tobi Schultze and Joel Brown) plus Jacobs and Kressey from Wheelwork along with the always active JDZ. Sunapee/Buchika's also had a few. Within 2 laps Schultze is off the front. After a lap or so Jacobs tries to bridge up with one other guy. I'm not sure this is going to work so I just follow JDZ who is working to bridge. We're getting a bit closer but a glance over my shoulder and I see Brown just sitting in. I figure he's waiting to counter so I'm not going to work to bring him up.

I think it was Potter from CCB who moved up in front of JDZ and got a few more in the main field to bring things back. Right on cue Joel Brown goes. Pat Ruane from Buchika's next to go. I begin to go but Matt Kressey goes by me and that's the wheel to grab! Nobody else following so the 4 of us go to work off the climb. It was pretty sure 20 to go. Initially we didn't make much ground but after a huge pull from Brown on the next climb and then my turn on the next lap we had a good gap. We worked very smoothly. At one point I hear "10" and think we're being pulled back but nobody behind us. A check with Ruane and he informs me I missed the "minute" part before "10". NICE!

Keep going and I hear as much as 1:30. With 5 to go Brown attacks the group hard. A bit early and the 3 of us are all caught out and it takes a bit to re-gather. As we close him down I begin to think I'm still feeling (sorta..) okay and should counter when/if we catch Brown as I probably can't outsprint these guys. We catch him with 3 to go but I've been on the front for a bit and wimp out. Mistake as we now all begin getting cute and our laps really slow. I get lulled in and keep sitting not realizing the group is gaining and completely forgetting my prior assessment. But we have enough of a gap and we hit the final climb and turn. I give all I've got but yup, can't sprint with these guys (more accurately, can't sprint period) so 4th it is. And sure enough, we had less than 10 seconds on the next mini group of 4. Ended up being almost 45min off in the break. Fun Times!!

Find Pare right after who's lining up for the 40+ and tell him no way I'm in for that, and even if I did I'd be of no use whatsoever. And I won $50...
Last edited by djming on Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dave Mingori
Jacob
Peloton

Re: Fall River Crit

Post by Jacob »

Great result Dave!
jraguin
Tête de la course

Post by jraguin »

Awesome Dave. You deserve it!
pace21
Maillot Jaune

Post by pace21 »

You definitely deserve it Dave after working your tail off this year and your race sure was fun to watch (though not as much fun as the 3/4 — that race was wild and MRC put on a clinic)

My race was “fun” and with no teammates I ended up doing a ton of work including spending time in 2 established breaks (including the winning one) as well as one monster 4 lap bridge. My normalized power for the exactly 1 hour race was a PR by a long shot.

I’ll fast forward to 35-40 minutes in when the “final” break was established. It was my third massive effort on the day and honestly I almost didn’t make it. Interestingly it happened through start/finish and then downhill. I dangled 3-4 seconds off the back of 6 guys and the speed was so high I didn’t have the mass and/or watts to close it down. Thankfully the last guy across Alex Grabau (eventual 2nd place) was bigger and fresher and I was able to hop on his wheel. The break worked fairly well together and within a couple laps it was obvious we were staying away.

Lots of attacks starting with 5 to go (we were a biggish break and guys were getting antsy). All were covered and then with 2 to go the pace really eased. We weren’t *really* in danger of getting caught but the field was definitely closing fast, maybe 15-20 seconds back. The fireworks started at the base of the climb on the last lap (surprise, surprise) and carried pretty much all the way to the line. I’m kicking myself a little because after the final turn we were still strung out single file, I was in 5th-ish wheel and the pace eased ever so slightly. I knew deep down that I should have just punched it right there even though we were still ~250m out. Instead I waited literally half a second and then everyone punched it.

In the end I managed to pass a couple in the sprint for 4th place overall, but I didn’t accomplish my goal for the year of a 40+ Crit podium. Two 5th places and now a 4th place. Oh well, always next year...

Time to hang up the road cleats in favor of shoes I can actually walk in
jraguin
Tête de la course

Post by jraguin »

Still awesome Chris. I am ever in awe of how consistently you get yourself into position.
oscarp
Chasseur

Post by oscarp »

jraguin wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:48 am Still awesome Chris. I am ever in awe of how consistently you get yourself into position.
Probably due to all that dirt downhilling. Taking chances when others would back off.
Oscar
KTeves
Tête de la course

Post by KTeves »

I had fun watching the races. Great job everyone! Here's some pics/vids if you're interested:https://1drv.ms/f/s!AkNj4meTIbEjhud5A8icPEejHznCfg
KT
twetmore
Voiture Balai

Post by twetmore »

Having not raced a crit since Greenfield this was an important milestone in GMSR prep. As soon as the gun went off attacks flew. Nothing was terribly threatening, but B2C2 was in every move and made their intentions crystal clear. Unfortunately for me, it was equally clear that I had a huge target on my back and that I wouldn't be able to get away until the bunch was tired.

Just after half way a break with Rees, Quinn (B2C2), Tate (strong junior), and a guy I didn't know went off the front and got some separation. With Rees in this move I wanted to either follow an attack to bridge or wait until the gap was sufficiently large so that I wouldn't chance bringing the field up to Rees' break. It boggles my mind that Rees still seems to fly under the radar and the field lets him roll off the front. Hopefully this never changes and he keeps getting MRC results!

Once the break was established Eric (an unattached rider formely on Butcherbox) went for the bridge. Half a lap later I joined him on the hill coming into the finish. Eric had the misfortune of thinking that there were only 5 laps to go, so when we came through the finish and the counter read 7 he mentally cracked. And then there was one.

I pushed pretty hard for the first few laps of my escape, and I believe I heard that I got within 10 seconds (but it could have easily been 20, race brain and listening attentively don't mix well), but my gap to the field was also sizable. There was a cluster of MRC guys shouting both information and encouragement which helped keep me focused on the attempted bridge. When they told me that Rees was skipping his pulls I thought that I might have a shot at making it but with three to go I wasn't making up any more ground, so I hunkered down into a pace that I thought would leave me with enough juice to hold off the field when it accelerated on the final lap.

I managed to hold my position for 5th, and am happy that my move didn't jeopardize Rees' result (and maybe/hopefully helped because he had an excuse to sit up?). 2nd and 5th is a good result for the team and I'm going into GMSR feeling ready for the crit!
Tucker Wetmore
rraymond
Domestique

Post by rraymond »

I love this crit, the pavement is great and the road is wide with safe turns. Got there early to see the 3/4 race and cheer on my teammates.

Then lined up for my race with some nervousness in the system because I hadn't raced a crit since Exeter which I crashed out of. Immediately the pace was fast and I was not mentally ready to take the corners that fast so I slid to the back and begun my favorite past time of tail gunning.

This worked pretty well until the pace really picked up and riders who raced the 3/4 earlier cracked and were spat out the back in succession. About half way through the field shattered for good. I spent a few laps chasing solo before joining up with Daniel Nuzzo from Community. We traded pulls and made up ground with a chase group of 4 but only Daniel and I were pulling. Then Tate attacked us after not pulling which disrupted our flow. Next lap, James Lipinski attacked (also after not pulling). We caught him and then he attacked again the next lap. Tate at least apologized but I was pretty pissed off at them for not pulling, attacking, then failing to close any ground on the field.

Finally we caught what remained of the field with 30 minutes to go. There was a break up the road containing Ben Wolfe and other strong guys. Over half the guys in the field had teammates in the break so they weren't pulling much. Daniel went straight to the front and proceeded to pull the remaining 30 minutes I think. So thanks to his efforts we did not get lapped by the break.

In the last few laps attacks went every time on the hill but nothing stuck. Finally on the last lap I was in last position going into the turn at the bottom of the hill. I sprinted hard out of the turn and moved up in the field. It was clear that there was some hesitation so I kept my momentum going and continued the sprint all the way to the end to take 7th place overall and win the field sprint, several seconds ahead the field.

It was a good confidence booster for GMSR after getting my butt kicked in all the road races I've done since upgrading.
fowleezy
Autobus

Post by fowleezy »

Nice work Robbie. Way to fight
Mkidd3
Tête de la course

Post by Mkidd3 »

Great job guys!!!
eboos
Peloton

Post by eboos »

Cat 4/5. This is my second race since the end of my mid season break, and while I didn't quite hit 88 mph, I did manage to go back in time. Apparently I landed in mid May where I was getting dropped in Crits but still working the field. Data wise, there is a great similarity to the CCNS Kermis, but with the exception of putting out a bit more power now (14 watts more average, 21 more weighted average). Feel wise, this was similar as well with a large portion of the race being a solo effort and cleaning up other dropped riders.

Mid May is not a bad place for me to be, because CCNS was the last race where I did get dropped before Greenfield (Purgatory doesn't count since some knucklehead ran right into my front wheel blowing out my spokes). With one more race in my road season and the start of the CX season I am ready for "late May".
remad
Peloton

Post by remad »

Cat 3/4. Going into the race my plan was to be patient the first 2/3rds of the race, working on staying mid pack and then play the rest of race by ear, looking for the right moment to attack. The race started out fast, with several attempts at a break, but with everyone having fresh legs, nothing was sticking. At one point, maybe 25 minutes into the race, the first real break opened, AJ was in this break, but it was also his second race of the day and it did not look like any of the guys in the break were willing to play nice with each other.

Note: My memory is a little foggy here, but this is what I remember.
After AJ was caught there were a few guys still dangling off of the front, but nothing organized. I decided to test the group and put a dig in on the short climb. Near the top of the climb I looked back and saw that no gaps had opened up so I let up a little and continued riding letting a couple of guys pass me. After a few more seconds of going somewhat slow I look back and see that there is an actual gap. I have no clue how that happened, but it is what I remember. After mumbling to myself in confusion I pulled to the front and told my group that we had a gap. As we passed the finish line the bell rung indicating a Prime lap. I was not very interested in getting the prime so I pulled my group down the hill, through the entire bottom stretch and part way up the climb only to find myself pulling again at the top of the climb. This made me mad, I just put in a big effort to open up a gap and these 4 other guys are all sitting in waiting for the prime unwilling to pull. I sit up and force someone else to pull, if they are all going to sit in, so am I. After a short (really short) rest I open up a sprint and take the prime. I then continue to pull my group through the next turn, down the hill and pull off hoping that everyone is willing to work now. As I pull off, one of the guys ask me if I am willing to work. I am a little supersized by this, I had just shown that I am willing to work by pulling after the sprint! I say yes, although I should have asked him if he was willing to work, because he spent the rest of the race skipping pulls and forcing Tate and I to take back to back pulls. After a few laps of yelling at 3 of the guys to stop skipping pulls our group of 5 was reduced to a group of 4 and then I was only yelling at 2 of the guys. With 3 to go, I have Robbie and company yelling at me that Tucker is trying to bridge. Tate hears this and takes control, putting in a solid pace, not really expecting anyone else to pull. With just over a lap to go I attack up the hill, hoping that 1 of 2 things happen. 1, I get away and solo to victory. 2, Tate realizes that he doing too much work and relaxes enough for Tucker to bridge up. Unfortunately, Tate is just too strong and hold my wheel and then continues to push through. Tate ended up pulling the majority of the final lap and was still able to win the sprint. I took second, giving me enough upgrade points to upgrade to a cat2 if I want.
After the race I found out that the prime was a wheel prime and I had won a new set of scorpion wheels. Has anyone used the wheels before? I have never heard of them before.

p123, This race started out fast and I could feel the pain in my legs from the gun, needless to say, I DNF'd
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Post by JeremyC »

Sweet free wheels!!!!!
Mkidd3
Tête de la course

Post by Mkidd3 »

Nice!