Mount Washington 2018

Race reports
twetmore
Voiture Balai

Mount Washington 2018

Post by twetmore »

Before I begin I need to say that everybody should do this at least once, if not annually. It is AWESOME (so long as you have appropriate gearing...).

I was planning on being a super-fan Sherpa for my hill-climb-extraordinaire fiance this weekend, but when Robbie found a couple of people selling their registrations for cheap just a few weeks before d-day I was talked into actually racing. Registering late was definitely a good thing because I didn't have the time to compulsively obsess over how to lighten my bike up. Even so I ended up changing out my crankset, removing the front derailleur & FD hanger, rear brake, 1 bottle cage, and probably would have even gotten rid of my bar tape had my fiance not given me the 'are you goddamn serious' facial expression. Thank you for the reality check, Lane.

After a very cozy night in a cigarette smoke scented apartment we (AJ Camelio, Robbie, Lane and I) made our way through rainstorms to the base of Mt. Washington. We hadn't picked up our registrations before race day, so we got there fairly early to get settled. Fast forward through lightening, betting on whether or not the race would be postponed to the following day, and staring blankly at the gray sky, the MC announced that the race would be delayed two hours but that better weather was on the way. Phew!

Our quartet had all managed to register in the "top notch" category, so we lined up with the first wave. We were all set to start together, when the MC started doing call-ups and announced Lane with her hill climbing accolades, which was very cool (and also provided more evidence as to who the better cyclist in the relationship is). After 5-10 more minutes of listening/waiting/chatting with friends/meeting Fred Marius the cannon went off and we were off.

Side note: it seems to me that every person I meet on Minuteman is incredibly nice, which is especially impressive given that the team is open to all. Except for Robbie. That guy sucks ;).

One other benefit of a late registration is that my only goal was to ride hard and not blow up, so I decided to hold a power that I was confident that I could sustain for the whole climb. After that cannon blast the front few waves sprinted out of the gate, and unlike my usual hyper-competitive self, I was happy to let them go. The rest of my race proceeded somewhat uneventfully until the finish with two exceptions

1) Somewhere between 4k & 4.5k feet I started to feel the altitude and my power dropped a bit
2) 5.5 miles into the race a rocket ship wearing a New England Devo kit blew past me. I tried to hop on the wheel but needed to hold 410 watts to stay there. Nope nopety nope nope nope. The rocket ship is 19 years old, named Drake Deueueueueueuel, and he is the real deal.

The finish is by far the most fun part of this race, and not just because that means it's over. Since you're required to have a ride down there are just as many spectators as riders! The result is that the last two turns of the race are lined with spectators screaming encouragement. This is the closest I'll ever be to the cheers at Alpe d'Huez, and it is amazing.

Lane's parents had brought an epic smorgasbord of post race snacks to the summit, so we spent the next two hours gorging ourselves on belgian waffles with nutella, muffins, chips & hummus, and other foodstuffs while we waited for the last riders to finish so we could drive down the hill.

All in all it was a great day. Lane finished 3rd in her age group and 5th overall female while I finished 9th overall, and 9th in my age group in 1:02:12

Miscellaneous thoughts:
  • My gearing was 26 front with 11-30 rear. They say that 1:1 is optimal, but I had more than that and it was glorious.
  • The race director emails tell you to show up at 6:30 if you haven't gotten your number the day before. This is hogwash. 7 is the earliest you need to arrive.
  • Tell your Sherpa to leave the car unlocked at the summit so if you can't find them/they can't find you when you finish you can still get your change of clothes and food
Tucker Wetmore
Mkidd3
Tête de la course

Re: Mount Washington 2018

Post by Mkidd3 »

Amazing.... just amazing!
Jacob
Peloton

Post by Jacob »

Great job!
cbusick
Tête de la course

Post by cbusick »

1:02 is amazing. I'll have a talk with Robbie and see if I can get him to lighten up. :-)
-Chris Busick
pace21
Maillot Jaune

Post by pace21 »

1:02 goodness me
oscarp
Chasseur

Post by oscarp »

WOW!
Oscar
jraguin
Tête de la course

Post by jraguin »

That is crazy fast up that thing. Great job.
Briana
Chasseur

Post by Briana »

Tucker that is a ridiculous time, nice job. I agree, it's a great event and super well organized. The staff and volunteers were happy, helpful and very pleasant to deal with. It was great to see so many MRC people there. I think there was 5 of us.

This was my first Mt Washington and I was going in with no pressure until Friday's FMR when everyone decided to predict my time based on my FTP, weight, height, VAM, wind speed, barometric pressure, tire pressure, bike weight, water consumption, etc. The night before Chris Busick send my a spread sheet of numbers and determined I would finish in 1 hour 15 minutes, based on his estimate of my weight with kit and my bike weight with a full water bottle. Glad everyone was thinking and stressing about this way more than I was.

My "goal" was under 1 hour 20 minutes hoping to join the Top Notch riders next time around. I was riding based on HR and feel, no power meter and my cadence sensor wasn't picking up for some reason. I finished in 1:16:50. I think after the 2 hr. weather delay the weather turned out to be ideal. It wasn't a beautiful sunny day but I don't think the weather was a factor in the results.

Some notes for next time.

- Weight fully clothed and ready to ride 147 lbs.
- Bike weight with 1 large full bottle 20.5 lbs. (this will be much lighter next time)
- 28-30 gearing. I think I was in the 28-28 most of the time, bail out gear was nice to have occasionally.
- 85 psi tire pressure (tubes)
- Weather, mid 50's with light wind and damp but not raining at the bottom (after 2 hr. delay). We rode into a bit of rain and wind, it was foggy and misty at the top but still in the mid 50's
- FTP 270 (maybe, I haven't tested in a while)
- no power meter (Strava estimate 236)
- no cadence sensor
- HR avg. 168
- speed avg. 5.9 mph
- Pre ride food, bagel with cream cheese then a PB and J sandwich during the 2 hr delay. 1 gu before the start.
- I did my typical cyclocross trainer warm up.
-1:16:50, 8th in age group, 70th overall

Brian A.
Brian Anderson
pace21
Maillot Jaune

Post by pace21 »

Busick wins the pool
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Post by JeremyC »

Briana wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:28 am - Bike weight with 1 large full bottle 20.5 lbs.
WTF did you ride the fat bike?
Briana
Chasseur

Post by Briana »

JeremyC wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:43 am
Briana wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:28 am - Bike weight with 1 large full bottle 20.5 lbs.
WTF did you ride the fat bike?
Ya, it had the right gearing :lol:

Actually my 2014 Ridley Fenix. It's heavy and the wheels suck, it's my trainer bike. I didn't want to mess with my everyday road bike. Next time I'll strip it down.
Brian Anderson
peterkuhn
Domestique

Post by peterkuhn »

twetmore wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:17 pm compulsively obsess over how to lighten my bike up
is this not, indeed, the main reason people pay forty-six dollars per mile to race up this thing?

Great report! What qualifies someone for top notch status?
AJ Camelio
Voiture Balai

Post by AJ Camelio »

Peter, anything under 1:20 qualifies for Top Notch. I think this year there were 101 people who qualified for next year's Top Notch.
twetmore
Voiture Balai

Post by twetmore »

What AJ said, as well as being cat 2 or having a USAT elite license
Tucker Wetmore
peterkuhn
Domestique

Post by peterkuhn »

oh, sounds easy