Fondo!

Race reports
Mkidd3
Tête de la course

Fondo!

Post by Mkidd3 »

Way too tired (still) to list all the details but this was a home run! Congrats to you all for pulling this off!
Ming, Miller, Antony, Turner, Cratty, Stratton, Busick, Pare, Emmanuel, Fintan, Alan, Westbury, Burgle, Jeff, Robbie and many others that I can't think off at the moment.... Thanks for your hard work!

Once again MRC put together an event that exceeded expectations. I didn't hear a single complaint, well other than there were multi flat folks that Busick & Pare had to nurse around the course. They earned their good deed badges for the day!

Richard said it best... Good course, good venue, and a great organization! We are the club to be measured by!

We'll done all! YOU make MRC look good!
ahamilton
Tête de la course

Re: Fondo!

Post by ahamilton »

Agreed. Special thanks to all those who did the pre-fondo planning and organizing. Made my "job" seem pretty easy by comparison.
cbusick
Tête de la course

Post by cbusick »

I'm sure I had the most fun so I should probably write up a report.
It was great to see so many friends at the start. I got into the grid, figured I'd drift back a bit and ride with Jimmy and Mo. Take it easy and not aggravate my IT-Band/Hamstring issues that have been plaguing me since Domnarski Farm. As the pre-ride announcements were winding down... BANG!! there was a flat from a couple rows back from a guy in a Brumble Bikes kit named Mike, or hereafter referred to as Mile 0 Mike. He walked his bike over to the Landry's tent to get the flat fixed. Realizing we weren't going to hold up the start time for him I rolled over to the tent with the intent of pacing him back up to the group.

Off you guys went. FIVE minutes later they were done figuring out how to put M0M's wheel back in and getting the thru axle on the correct size. I picked up John M, one of the other sweepers and set off to catch some sort of group. I caught and passed Ian on Oakmont, dropping off John to his official sweeper duties of pacing the stragglers. "Oh, man, poor Ian is going to have a LOOONNG day if those people are planning on doing 70 miles at that pace. HAHAHHA"

I tried to be nice to M0M, he's probably 30 lbs heavier than I so we went easy on the climbs and harder on the descents. I had no idea the lead group was going so slow, According to the Fly-By I got to within 2 minutes of them when I saw another rider on the side of a road with a flat. M0M said, with obvious relief in his voice, "you have to stop for him, huh? I'll keep going I'm sure you'll catch me later" and I stopped for Max. Who was pretty old school with a full length frame pump so I figured he knew what he was doing. I waited around to help pace him back up. He said he'd flatted out of the lead group when he hit some of that dirt that was washed out onto the pavement on Old Westminster road.

We got going and Max was drilling it. We were trading pulls at 400W which was fun for a while, but then I started to feel twinges in my hamstring and let him do more and more of the work. Finally there was another guy on the side of the road with a flat so I said good bye to Max and pulled over. The latest victim had a Ridley CX bike with 32mm clement file treads. Seemed weird that he'd flat esp since the only dirt we'd seen so far was the stuff washed onto the road that took out Max. Then I see he's putting tubes meant for 23 mm road tires into 32mm cx tires. "what did you hit?" I said, looking back at the smooth road up til his flat. 23-32 said, "Not sure, I think it is something to do with these tubes." "Probably, do you want a proper CX tube?" "No, I think I'll be OK." We took off together, but he didn't seem interested in getting a draft so after seeing that he was going OK, I moved on.

Then I hit the first dirt section. WOW! That was legit, the t-storms really messed that road up. I thought I saw a bunch of water bottles on the side of the road so I went back to get them, but they were 40oz beer cans. 23-32 went by me while I was doing this and I took off after him, went by Dave M who was surveying the damage on the road from his car, then ran into a guy in a green Keep it Tight (KIT) with his bike upside down finishing fixing a rear flat. I watched him fumble for a while trying to get the wheel back in and asked if I could help. "Sure, I'm a little discombobulated I guess." So I put the wheel in on the correct side of the chain and sent him off. Then I picked up a different pump, not KIT's on the other side of the road and take off after him.

I tossed the new pump into Dave's car when he passed me on the road saying Dave McCay destroyed his wheel. "Hah! That's funny, I remember spending some time the Desert with him when he destroyed a wheel before!"

At the top of the next hill a guy who I later learned was Tom, Mark B's doctor was on the side of the road with a wheel off and a collection of tubes and tools scattered on the ground around his sweet DeRosa. This was his second flat so he was checking the tire for sharps. The extra tubes had been tossed to him from Dave M on his way to rescue the other Dave M. I took the old tube, blew it up, figured out where the hole was and he found a matching cut on the tire and made sure it was all cleaned out. Then took off and I paced him for a couple minutes before running into another rider on the side of the road with his phone out.

Uber Sidewall guy had blown the bead out of his s-works turbo tire. That wasn't going to be bootable, you could see all the threads of the bead. I felt terrible, since I had brought an extra tire, but then left it in the car thinking "what are the odds that if someone blows a sidewall I'll be around to help?" I called Dave and he said they had mechanical help at the rest stop which was only 2 miles away. I left Uber Sidewall with a paper map and said he could get a tire at Templeton. When I got to the rest stop I said we had a guy who needed a tire.
"Oh we have some over here, what kind? "
"A 25mm road tire"
"Oh tire, I thought you meant tube"
This got tedious after the 3rd time around. I guess the guy just ubered all the way home anyway.

The good news is that Pare had waited for me at the rest stop so I had someone to ride with. We took off, eventually picking up the Derosa Doctor and telling him to hop on. We made good time picking off all the stragglers that I'd already passed several times, including Discombobulated KIT, 23-32 and others. I didn't see any flats in the 25 miles between rest stops..

M0M was at Cratty's corner and he followed us down the hill from there. Just as we were about to turn off of 62, BAANGG!. Pare realized M0M had blown the sidewall out on his "open tubular" tire, so he fashioned him a boot from a piece of old tire M0M had in his bag for that purpose. We got going again and then there was 23-32 on the side of the road fixing another flat. Pare and I stopped, M0M trudged on ahead.
"I think it is these tubes, they might be too skinny"
"Do you want proper CX tube"
"Oh, no, I'll be OK"

We got going again and there was M0M with another flat on Green road.
"I'm all done I guess"
"Well, my car is up on the mountain with a spare tire. It will take me a while but if you want to continue I'll go get it"
"Yes, I want to finish this"
"OK, find somewhere comfortable to hang out and I'll be back. Text me if your plans change or someone picks you up"

I went up the mountain, met katie at the cliff, jumped in the car and drove back down to find M0M, except he wasn't there. Then my phone got enough reception to get a text which said "take the driveway before the house, there's a garage way in back, I'm there, the guy has a bike stand and everything" (but apparently not a spare tire). Katie dropped me and started preparing to head back to the brewery. The old man who owned the place said around the stub of a cigar "leaving already? don't you want to see my man cave?"
Katie: "Nope, and off she went"

The old man had a nice detached garage. I mean DETATCHED. It was at least 150 yards from the house. It had 4 bays with a collection of restored old cars. He offered me a seltzer while M0M was putting his bike back together with my tire since that was the only thing he had other than beer. MOM said "go ahead and have a beer now if you want, you earned it" So I grabbed a nice cold tall 'Gansett while I supervized. The old man said "I have a floor pump will that help" and I agreed that would be faster than using my pump so he started off towards the house! Why wasn't it in the garage? I started the tire with my mini pump while he was gone. When he finally got back we got the rear tire all set and the old man said do you want to put air in the front too? "No, lets go", "It feels pretty soft" "uggh ok lets check it" 30PSI. WTF?? So we pump that up. I start clipping in and MOM asks "Do you have a restroom?" The old man says well, for #2 you have to go back to the house, but for #1 I usually just go anywhere back here. Fortunately MOM votes for #1 and waters a tree and we are off.

On north road we pass #38 Vermont Overland guy. I drag M0M to the top, take a picture for him with his phone, make sure Overland guy made it up all right and start heading down. M0M is talking about how he has the same Focus Bike J-Pow had in iceland and how he'd love to get a picture with him and the bike. We get back to the brewery and I ask if Jeremy is still around for a picture, and someone says yes, he's right over there. I think I'm going to do all I could to make M0M's day, until I realize they are pointing at Cratty. "Oh, no, the other Jeremy!" "No he just left" M0M declined getting a picture with our illustrious president and I went to get a beer and some food.
-Chris Busick
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Post by JeremyC »

Holy crap what a report!!!! We literally didn't have a single flat on the short course. The only excitement I had was doing a full-gas 3 minute interval chasing a guy who missed a turn. Otherwise I felt more like a politician shaking hands and kissing babies.

Seriously the organization and volunteer work was top notch. I'll have a separate post later.
KTeves
Tête de la course

Post by KTeves »

Great report Chris; funny stuff. I guess sweeping duty is ripe for some funny situations. We passed Alan going the opposite way on RT. 62 with a person in tow, and I thought, "the sweepers have the hardest job."

There event was great as far as I can tell. Thanks to everyone that Mark B. mentioned and anyone else that worked so hard to pull this off. Just another example of why I'm proud to be part of the MRC.
KT
davidmccay
Domestique

Post by davidmccay »

Well said by all. Thanks and great job all around. Special thanks to Chris P. and Kevin who held back to make sure I was all set after my busted wheel, and Dave Mingori for the ride back to the brewery.
djming
Chasseur

Post by djming »

I wish I had reset my trip odometer before the start, would love to know my actual mileage for the day!
Only two actual pickups (Dave McCay as noted above and a Blue Hills guy who had severe cramps ~mile 55). Gave out 2 tubes along the way plus a multi-tool to John Morrissey when he was with a guy who was working on his rear deraillur (problem fixed and this guy end up soldiering his way for the full distance, coming in right around 4PM after I got him extra water). Filled 4 water bottles and handed out a few snacks I had packed (note for next year, I will carry extra water and a whole bunch of Gu's/Clif Bars). Also directed a few on shortcuts to Cratty Corner where Bob the Bus Driver offered up an awesome service.
By all accounts all ride leaders/sweepers did a bang up job and I received comments from a number of "off the back" individuals they were very thankful for those sweepers putting aside their own time to help.

This part of an email this morning from Tim Johnson goes a long way in summarizing the day:

"Thank you so much for all of the hard work in putting together a wonderful day to ride, eat and drink. By all in-person accounts and backed up by the clear disappointment of those that missed it, we have something with real legs going forward!

I’ve been lucky to ride in many organized events around the world and the basics are fairly well understood but not always done right. It’s got to be a fun and interesting course. It must include rest stops that make people stick around longer than they intended and then a finish atmosphere where a frantic text message or two reminds you that it’s probably a good time to head home. We hit those marks and more.

Thank you to Richard and the Minuteman Road Club for recognizing the potential impact of supporting an advocacy organization like Massbike. Cyclists of all stripes have an opportunity to assist in making our riding conditions safer across the state. Selfishly for me, using the Wachusett Brewery as an effective catalyst for it all just kinda knocked it out of the park... "
Dave Mingori
Mkidd3
Tête de la course

Post by Mkidd3 »

Why didn't M0M want a pic with Cratty? I got one! And about 60 other selfies... Haha

Busick, thanks for the laughs that was an amazing recap!
jraguin
Tête de la course

Post by jraguin »

Rode as a "ride leader" for the short fondo and talked to a bunch of the about 15 people that I was "marshalling" to the finish. Most of the day was riding up to the front of my strung out group, making sure everyone made the turn, and then when the last one went through, it was riding back to the front again. Emmanuel also helped with this group. Every rider I was with was super positive, loved it, and a number asked if we do any other rides throughout the year! (I laughed at that one) One of the group was actually Patrick's dad which I didn't know at the time.

My personal satisfaction was helping a woman (one of the 15) who was having slight ideas of not going to the summit. I told her my job was to make sure she got to the top. So I rode up with her, giving her bits of encouragement all the way. She actually made it right around the same time her fiance got up there (he was doing the 70). I missed a great picture moment of them hugging each other.

Incredible job everyone. I really think just repeat the same next year and there will be a much bigger turnout as people will hear how great this day was.

John
ahamilton
Tête de la course

Post by ahamilton »

Chris, that was an epic read for an epic day. I can't believe how much trouble you found in 70 miles. The only assistance (besides verbal encouragement and general advice) I had to give in 40 miles was to stop a rear brake from rubbing, which took about 4.6 seconds.
tsavage
Chasseur

Post by tsavage »

Sorry we missed it but Anna was racing in VT this weekend. I did see TedK today and said 'how was the ride yesterday' and he gave me a big smile and said it was great!! Nice job MRC.
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells
strat
Peloton

Post by strat »

Great write up Chris B...I too had spare tires (tyres) in my car which which I pondered over bringing along but forfeited in favor extra tubes instead. At the Templeton rest stop I suggested to my sweeping pals (Chris Pearson and John) that it might be wise for one of us to push ahead seeing how the gap between us (and our back markers) to the next closest group was 20 mins+...otherwise we could have some folks stranded while waiting for assistance for 20...30...maybe 40 mins?! They agreed and I volunteered to press on, dropping the hammer for probably 15 miles before I saw another soul (Camelbak guy dealing with his 2nd flat...he was getting ready to patch the tube when I got to him so I hooked him up with a tube and suggested that I seat the bead back on the rim by hand rather than him pry it with levers and risk pinching it!). It wasn't until I got within 5 miles of Princeton center (Cratty's corner?!) that I caught up with some other folks and then a small gathering at the rest stop including Richard (side note about Richard's friend - also in Best Buddies kit - they stopped near the Blue Hills cramping guy to make an adjustment to his saddle and he calmly enquires whether it would be ok to go and puke over in the bushes??!? Apparently he scoffed 8 waffles at the rest stop and these weren't sitting well!).

Didn't see any other mechanicals after this (except for M0M waiting for Busick)...got harassed by 2 german shepherds which Jerome and I tried to take back to their owner's house but nobody answered the door so we pressed on to Wawa.

All in all, a pretty epic event I would say...the route marking was outstanding, great job Dave and Bill (plus any others?).

Cheers,

Ian
Briana
Chasseur

Post by Briana »

1st of all this was one of my favorite events of the year, It was a great day. The pace of the lead group was perfect (for me anyway). We road a pretty chill pace to the first rest stop where everyone stopped to take advantage of the super offerings under the Mass Bike tent. Grilled Cheese and Bacon samis, watermelon, orange slices and many different rice cape options. The pace picked up a bit on the way to the second rest stop but it was done in a fun and controlled way. Powers would "attack", a few would follow and then Tim Johnson would pull us all back. This went on for a while with different riders taking different roles. At one point Jeremy Powers, Ted King and a couple others were off the front and I was on Tim Johnson's wheel in a small chase group. That was pretty cool. These tactics were all done at a reasonable pace and It never got out of hand, I think most of the people in what must have been a 30 person group were able to keep up and join in in the fun. Rest stop two was well stocked with untapped maple products under the tent and brownies and other snacks up in the Cratty gazebo. I left the 2nd rest stop with a smaller group of about 15. Not long after leaving, there was a crash behind me, as I looked back I saw the bike flying through the air and it didn't sound good. I stopped along with Smudger while the rest of the group continued on. The crasher (no front teeth guy) I guess if we're naming riders I should do it accurately. Thankfully I noticed earlier on in the ride that he was missing his front teeth. Any way he jumped up quickly and aside from being shaken up and bloodied he was in decent shape. His wheels were a little banged up but we flipped his break caliper levers and he was on his way at a conservative pace. I rode solo from there until the top of wa wa where I regrouped with the original lead group just in time to bomb down Wachusett (at 20mph of course) and on to the Brewery where I enjoyed an amazing rice bowl and some great beer. I'm already looking forward to next year.

Brian
Brian Anderson
djming
Chasseur

Post by djming »

Briana wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:14 pm .. where I regrouped with the original lead group just in time to bomb down Wachusett (at 20mph of course) ..
Brian
Of course! :D
Dave Mingori
dantelman
Peloton

Post by dantelman »

cbusick wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:21 am Then I see he's putting tubes meant for 23 mm road tires into 32mm cx tires. "what did you hit?" I said, looking back at the smooth road up til his flat. 23-32 said, "Not sure, I think it is something to do with these tubes." "Probably, do you want a proper CX tube?" "No, I think I'll be OK." We took off together, but he didn't seem interested in getting a draft so after seeing that he was going OK, I moved on.
You can put 23c road tubes in a 35mm CX tire, IF you're racing cross, and only using 30-40 psi...yes the tube is smaller, but it just stretches out. In fact I was taught this weight saving trick by a cagey masters racer who swore by it, since the 28-35c tubes weigh more.

But you cannot put a 23C tube into a 35c CX tire and pump it to 80+ psi, I think the result will be a blow out LOL
Hup Hup