Hilltowns

Race reports
djming
Chasseur

Hilltowns

Post by djming »

After a one year hiatus, Hilltowns returned with a revised finish that came in Rt. 116 and reversed the initial 10 miles or so of the course (but, not to worry, still kept the 8A descent and E. Hawley climb!).
Doug Burdi and Mark Daniels joined me in the combined 50+ and 60+ field which at 59 riders (40 & 19 respectively) comprised the largest field of the day. Of course also joining us were a "big three" of Ron Amos, Fred Thomas and Rob Lyons. After that there was an extremely competitive field. Race predictor had me at 16th, and when looking at the field I figured realistically I could finish anywhere between 4th and 18th. Found Larry A from 545 during the neutral start and he was bemoaning the lack of 545 presence in either of the masters fields (he specifically asked me to mention this in my write up :) )

Plan - 1) Be at the front heading into the descent to get a clear vision of the road. 2) Be near the front for E. Hawley to avoid the weaving/uphill braking/position jostling and to see who's doing what. 3) Get in a selection after the hill and put in an attack or two within the last 10K (unless of course by some miracle I was with the Big 3 in which case it would be "simply suffer for as long as I can")

Execution - 1) Rode the breakdown lane for almost the entire first 10 miles, picking spots to move up on the far right without overly expending energy. Knowing we were nearing the left turn to start the descent I put in one move and hit the turn in 3rd wheel. Perfect! Stayed in the top 7-10 wheels for the first 5 miles of 8A until it began to flatten out when the expected slowing and swarming began. I decided not to fight things and completely conserve. Grade: A
2) Too much jostling and people with the same idea as me. Instead of being aggressive heading into the climb I picked a couple guys to mark and follow. I might have been top 20 starting but probably not better than that. This led to not being in position to even attempt to go when Big 3 went right away, but otherwise had only a couple of spots I had to slow as things bunched and the beeping started to keep people to the right. Grade: B-
** The climb felt hard but controlled. In retrospect, it would have been possible, with the right position, to attempt to hang with Big 3 but would have required a near max 20 minute power so I would have been on borrowed time. Otherwise, 2 others (Mark Paggioli and Alan Potter) got into no mans land in between Big 3 and the main pack. I definitely had the legs to bridge to them but we had a good selection forming and gambled that we would catch them whether or not I got up to them so why burn an extra match. Correct assessment as at the top we formed a good 9 man group into chase mode and made the catch within 10K. Grade: A
3) Now it was 10 of us plus Bill Thompson who was the only 60+ to make the selection. Bill was in full on stay away mode so he kept the group honest. I decided to test the group in a couple spots with some high threshold on a couple grind climbs and the legs felt good and was able to separate 3-4 guys each time. But, too early so would regroup and recover. With ~7 miles to go Alan Potter put in an attack. Mark Paggioli covered and I jumped on his wheel. Hit a hill and I went and only Mark could follow. We started to work and got a decent gap but Summers (okay, maybe he wasn't in as much difficulty as I thought..), Potter, Trojan, Caligari were having none of that and I shut it down. Now into town of Savoy and as we approach the climb into the left turn to head to the finish (~4 to go) I attack and then threshold into the climb and nobody's coming with me. Turn left and I've got a pretty good gap. Onto the drag to the finish and it's a headwind and I'm not gaining any more. Shut that down and let's do the the finish sprint thing. Grade: A- (did what I wanted but couldn't make it stick so no A)
FINISH - In reconning the final 1.5 before the start it became obvious that early moves would be very hard to stick as it progressively ramped up. I figured even 200 was too early. After 2-3K of cat and mouse, just before 1K Jay Trojan goes HARD and gets a sizable gap. Nobody reacts and he's pulled back. At 500 Alan Potter goes. Nope, still too early. Also correct. At maybe 300 Cliff Summers goes and drags Paggioli, Walker, Trojan with him. I still wait a bit and then go all in at just under 200. He can't hold it I figure. I figure wrong. I pass Trojan and think I pass Walker at the line but it was the wrong line (race brain, and he was ahead of me at the actual finish). Summers and Paggioli hold everyone else off. So I'm 4th in the group sprint and 7th overall. I'll give it another A- since I beat race predictor by 9 spots but truthfully with a bit more proper race reading should have been right there for 4th so really a B+ for the finish.

On a not so good note, found Christo Tinkov (who was in the 4's) who informed me Jason had crashed out of the 3's and was taken to Northampton Hospital with a likely broken clavicle. Thankfully Christo's wife also at the race so she was able to go with Jason. Word was Jason was standing on the side of the road and alert so hopefully it's "just" the break with no head/neck issues.
Last edited by djming on Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Mingori
AJ Camelio
Voiture Balai

Re: Hilltowns

Post by AJ Camelio »

I was in the 4s with Cal, Derrin, Mike W., Christo, and Kyle. Solid group. The first 20 miles until the climb on East Hawley were pretty uneventful. There were a few early attacks but nobody was able to get a break set up. And aside from one guy who blew a spoke in the first few miles, we didn't have any crashes through the 8A descent and only one or two flats.

Once we hit the climb, things started to heat up and split up pretty quickly. Derin and Cal were in the front group with three or four others going pretty hard and there was a chase group of about 12 or 15 guys about 15-30 seconds back. Toward the top Derin & co. pulled out a few more seconds on the chase group and I got tailed off the chase group by 15 seconds or so. Just when I was thinking I'm not going to get back on, Mike W. rides up from behind and yells for me to hold up and wait for him. Mike, Andrew Tine, another guy, and I were able to put in a really hard chase and get back to the main group after 4 or 5 kms. When we got there, Derin was still up the road with 3 guys, and Cal was in the main group of about 12. We started mixing in with the guys who wanted to chase and broke up the rhythm of what was kind of a disorganized chase. Once we got word that Derin was 2:30 up the road, it became pretty clear he wasn't going to get caught. Derin finished 4th and I'll let him tell his part about the finish.

The main group stayed mostly together until the finish with one guy (unsuccessfully) trying to bridge across. The sprint started early (too early) and guys were surging back and forth. Cal put in a good dig at the end for 7th, I was 11th, and Mike 14th.

Really great MRC turn out across all the fields in a race where a lot of the big eastern Mass teams had pretty pathetic showings.
jraguin
Tête de la course

Post by jraguin »

Really nice job guys. Way to battle and claw back into fight after that climb. Hilltowns has always been too late in the schedule for me and I feared the course. Your reports make me think if I don't have family commitments, I should give it a try next year.
djming
Chasseur

Post by djming »

jraguin wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:55 pm Your reports make me think if I don't have family commitments, I should give it a try next year.
50+ next year John!
Dave Mingori
pace21
Maillot Jaune

Post by pace21 »

jraguin wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:55 pm Really nice job guys. Way to battle and claw back into fight after that climb. Hilltowns has always been too late in the schedule for me and I feared the course. Your reports make me think if I don't have family commitments, I should give it a try next year.
You’re so weak John. I thought we had a pact.
rraymond
Domestique

Post by rraymond »

P12 had a stacked field. It was really really hard and the longest race I've done at 84 miles. On the first lap I got stung by a bee on the thigh. Otherwise it was pretty mellow for the first 10 miles with the exception of 2 guys breaking away.

Within minutes of hitting East Hawley Rd I got dropped as the field shattered. Over the top we spent the next 10 miles picking up other shelled riders. Not sure if I was in the grupetto or the pack but I mistakenly thought they might take it easier. I did my best to eat but the race was just to hard to chew any food. I even had trouble drinking between gasps for air.

Then on the second lap I got stung by another bee, this time on the lip. Great day so far. Gruppetto/pack shattered again the second time up East Hawley. Over the top a Community guy decided he was going to catch whatever small pack was left and hammered the next 30 minutes while I did my best to not get dropped and contribute occasionally with a pull. He and I amazingly caught a group of 7 or so around mile 70. 5 miles later the group was launching attacks which I watched ride away leaving me to ride the last 10 miles solo.

I kept riding back to the parking lot and laid down in front of Tucker's car where I traded off talking incoherently and whining about how hard the race was.

Sorry to hear that Jason went down but nice job to the rest of the team with their successes!
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Post by JeremyC »

Robbie, you were within a few minutes of 2 of New England's best climbers. I think you did better than you realize.

Nice work guys. I'l plan on doing this next year...........................................................................................not
dburdi
Voiture Balai

Post by dburdi »

M50+:
Before embarking on this year's sufferfest, I navigated over to the Bikereg website and noted with dismay that the Race Predictor had me finishing DFL. I was annoyed at this computer-borne disrespect and vowed to send their software engineers back to rewrite the code. The start of the race began as Dave noted with me determined to stay in the top third of the peloton as we plied the sketchy, washboard-like descents. Fortunately, their were no incidents. The inevitable carnage began as we ascended Easy Hawley, and I arrived at the top 4.5 minutes arrears of the lead group. A chase pack formed with me and 6 other riders including Stephen Meisl (BCA/Linen) and Keith Guinta (Sherpa). We worked well for the next 14 or so miles, but I found myself floating off the front as we approached the town of Plainfield. I gulped down and decided to embark on a solo pursuit of more shellshocked survivors, but the last 15 miles of the race were a largely solo effort with the slight headwind on the homestretch being an unwelcomed companion. It turns out Mark Daniels was in a grupetto just a few minutes ahead, but I was never able to catch sight of it. All in all, it was a strong effort for me and I was happy with both time and place. I'm still improving...Race stats: Place: 32/40; Time: 2:37:16 (NP=225W (90% of FTP); Average HR: 158; Max HR: 189 (yikes!, guess where that happened?).
Many thanks to all, especially Dave Mingori, for making my first year with MRC a great one.

Cheers,
Doug Burdi
peterkuhn
Domestique

Post by peterkuhn »

dburdi wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:25 amTime: 2:37:16 (NP=225W (90% of FTP); Average HR: 158
time to re-test FTP atmo

More reports!
Derinm1
Autobus

Post by Derinm1 »

I raced the 4s field and went in with high hopes for the race (particularly after checking out the profile). The race began rather easy as was expected and I made sure to hold my place at the front of the bunch especially on the descent to make sure I wasn't making up places on the climb. When we hit the climb 3 guys go up the road and me and the other junior in the field (Tate) kept behind them making sure to keep them within 10 seconds but not unnecessarily chase them down, I did a good job on the climb maintaining my effort and was able to keep it under control and not go to deep, the first few minutes and last few minutes of the climb were definitely the easiest and the middle 15 minutes was 350 watts steady. Eventually, we caught up to them and proceeded to hammer down the descent, and all of us took pulls and committed to the break and that's how the next twenty miles went, mid way through with about 10 miles to go I began to really hurt but slammed 3 gels and drank a bottle of Gatorade and was able to stabilize somewhat,( 2 300+ mile weeks leading up to the race in hindsight might have been a bit too much...) going into the finale I was in a great position out of the wind immediately responding to attacks and was feeling pretty strong then into the final kick (I really can't muster a good explanation for this besides not focusing and keeping track of the line) didn't attack and realized too late that the line was infact 10 feet away and I had really fucked another great position.
But hey stuck another break and got my cat 3 upgrade so im pretty content!
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Post by JeremyC »

Derinm1 wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:11 pm But hey stuck another break and got my cat 3 upgrade so im pretty content!
Sweet. Congrats
twetmore
Voiture Balai

Post by twetmore »

This was my second road race as a 3, and once again not enough people registered in time so we were lumped in with a much stronger field (Eneas Freyre and Tim Ahern were sandbagging in the 1-4 Masters 40+). Right as I'm rolling up to the start Dave Mingori stopped and gave me what turned out to be incredibly helpful advice about the course (mostly the descent).

Within a 1/4 mile of the neutral roll out ending a ERRACE guy jumped off the front, and Jacob followed. Sweet, we had a man off the front and license to do no work on the front. Until the climb Mark Miller and I sat on two Butcher Box guy's wheels and shut down "attacks". Average power until the descent: 182. Thanks to Dave's advice the descent was uneventful. I stayed near the front and had a pretty good idea where the worst of the pavement would be. Meandering continued unabated until the climb. Que Tim Ahern and Eneas Freyre having their way with the field. I stayed with the front group for 12 minute before race brain told me that the flatter stuff wasn't for another half mile. Except jokes on me, the flat stuff was barely up the road, and I may have been able to hang on. Or I would have blown up spectacularly and race brain saved me. We'll never know.

Despite race brain and possible premie I still set 2018 PR's for everything between 5 & 90 minutes. Over the top I wound up in a group with two masters racers who were motivated to catch the group ahead, which was perfect because I knew that there was another cat 3 who had managed to hang with Eneas and Tim and we had caught & passed Jacob on Hawley. We got within 30 seconds of the lead group, but the ERRACE rider who had gone off the front at mile 0 dropped back to us (or got dropped?) and destroyed our rhythm.

I tried to give the 3 masters guys a lead-out but they were so focused on each other that my wheel may as well have not existed, and I rolled in uneventfully for second place!
Tucker Wetmore