Domnarski Farm

Race reports
cbusick
Tête de la course

Domnarski Farm

Post by cbusick »

A couple days after winning TVR when none of the fast guys showed up I realized I was leading the Headbanger series. Then I had to figure out if I cared or not. I think if you win the whole thing you
get a jersey in the end. But this means winning the races that didn’t fit into the Bubba Series or NECS XC because they were too long and contained too many rocks. Basically the races that were deemed “Old School New England”. I’m not sure how Secret Squirrel didn’t get lumped into this category, possibly they faked out the powers that be with a venue change after the series had been decided.
Or maybe Secret Squirrel didn’t have enough climbing.

Since nobody other than MRC was dumb enough to do back to back TVR and Domnarski, I figured that worst case I only had to finish 5th or better in the remaining 3 races to win the series, so I should at least race Domnarski and see how things stood.

I pre-rode the course Saturday morning. Wow. This was going to be a tough one.
I had serious concerns about having a 34T X 40 as my low gear. Don said there were soul crushing
gravel climbs on the course, which gave me an image of loose gravel roads that sucked your energy. I wasn’t expecting them to be power line and abandoned logging road climbs where you had to scrabble for every bit of traction and celebrated just being able to make it up. I had a long text conversation with Brian and Don about gearing. Then Jeremy texted me that he was going to race Domnarski. Should I tell him what he was signing up for? No, I didn’t want to scare him away. Instead I told him “If you do this race, and do well, and don’t complain I’ll never give you shit for being a roadie again. Also if you finish 2 spots ahead of me you’ll be leading the headbanger series. Then YOU get to figure out if you care or not” Jeremy decided that being accepted as a true Mountain Biker was worth making the trip out to Ware.

The race starts with a grassy double track that turns left and up a steep tech climb with greasy rocks. Cratty was determined that he was going to ride it. “I’m going High! If you are ahead of me, go low, cause I’m still going high!” I was starting on the front row, Cratty in the 3rd. I was 4th wheel at the hole shot and thinking I might clean the hill on the low line when #3 spun out and jammed me. There were a bunch of people running everywhere then Cratty was yelling “ON YOUR LEFT!” and he blew through the group managing to ride the whole thing and was gone with the leaders and Brian chasing after him.

Meanwhile I got caught up in a mess at the stream crossing, thought I could get around to the left but the guy ahead spun out and fell over into my line. Another dismount and a few more spots lost.

I finally get going again and get to Katie who yells “I just saw two Black Bears cross the trail!!”
“Oh, that’s soo cool!!! I replied” and didn’t hear her respond with “I’m scared!”. Apparently I was supposed to stop and scare the bear off or something and not just be jealous at the opportunity she just had.

I see Ian from Fritz up ahead. Every time he is mentioned people say “he climbs really well” This was the first MTB race with any climbing so I figured keeping him in sight was a good idea. We worked our way through a bunch of people who were realizing they might have started a bit too hard. We caught Cratty just before the top of the climb, then he took off and opened a huge gap to Ian on the downhill. Ian cleaned one of the skinny bridges and I blew it giving him a huge gap.

I finally reeled in Ian again on the fire road before the pavement, catching him as we passed Kathleen who looked like she was enjoying herself. Being a Roadie myself I couldn’t pull Ian up to cratty so I just sat on his wheel, and drank some water.

“Hi, you are Ian right? I’m Chris”
“Oh hi Chris”
“Is that Cratty just ahead?”
“Yup, that’s him. I can’t keep up with him on the downhills, he just took off”
“Yeah, he’s nuts. I wonder how he will like this next climb that he has no idea is coming?”
“Heh heh”

Turns out Ian isn’t THAT great a climber. I dropped him on the Halfway Hill climb and then chased down Cratty and then Saw Brian up ahead. After halfway hill there was a little bit of double track downhill then a turn onto another climb.

“That’s it, all that climbing and no reward” Jeremy said in a voice that sounded a bit like complaining.

The climb was short and we had some more descending then a turn onto a single track with a couple big rocks 1/2 hidden behind grass or ferns or something that I swiped with my rear wheel.

“Oh Jeremy, you are going to LOOOVVE this next climb” I said and we turned onto the power line.
The power line started off with a reasonable power line type climb, but as you crest you can see other riders ahead, way ahead and way way up scrabbling up a rocky climb to the top of the lines.

I caught up to Brian and white jersey 50+ guy who Brian seemed to be stuck with. After recovering for a few seconds I thought I could go around on the right but it was crap and I spun out and had to start walking. Brian and white jersey pulled away. It was hot. Pushing the bike up the hill was hard, I took a look back before remounting at the top and saw Cratty also walking his bike and no longer looking like a threat to my Headbangers Series Lead.

Then I started chasing Brian. I caught him at the top of Fox hill and we started down together. The guy we were chasing got freaked out on the loose downhill and slammed his breaks skidding and tossing gravel so we dropped him.

Then we went around for a 2nd lap. Brian was killing me on the early hills, but i could catch him on the power straightaways and we were together at the power line climb. This was the point where I was just hoping to stay with him to the finish, but I think his 15 mile pre-ride was catching up with him and he let me go on the climb. I was having twinges of cramps in my legs, and wasn’t sure I could walk the hill again without my calf locking up so I stood up and flailed my way up the climb, with my calf protesting the whole way.

I was pretty cooked at this point but saw that I had a good gap on Brian and a kid that was chasing us from the 30+. There was someone behind Brian but I couldn’t tell who. I took off hoping to extend my gap and then came to the place where there’s an easy long option to the left of a big tree or straight down some reasonable sized rocks. I had no trouble with the straight down option during pre ride or lap one, but somehow my rear tire slid out on the first big greasy bolder and I hit the second one with my front wheel flying off into the woods.

Fortunately the bike was ok and I got going again, but I could hear Brian and the kid coming now. I got over Fox hill and started the descent to the finish, coming in 3rd and cementing my lead in the Headbanger’s Series. Brian came in right behind me for 4th, then Cratty for 7th. I think this means we are 1-2-3 in the Series. :-)

But I still get to give Cratty shit because he certainly was complaining even though he did pretty well and actually went around for lap 2.
-Chris Busick
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Re: Domnarski Farm

Post by JeremyC »

Yes I did let a complaint slip out, but it was nothing like the old Cratty. In my defense, I wasn't expecting it to be HARDER than TVR. For Christ's sake it was supposed to be on a farm!!!! I never saw a freaking farm!!!!

In all seriousness, I had fun and after completely imploding I rallied and rode a solid (not spectacular) 2nd lap including redeeming myself on the powerline of death. (PoD)

My only "constructive criticism"

1) throwing a loose 2x8 board over a stream does not constitute a bridge. You know those stairs in Harry Potter that move around? There were 5 bridges just like that, one of which handed me a mud sandwich.

2) the 2 completely unridable hike a bike sections right after the powerline climb shouldn't be on a XC course. Tinker Juarez would have complained about that.

Otherwise it was a fun course that was a bit outside my comfort zone but I have no problem with that. Nice job guys. And congrats to Rees for the first ever Unicycle/Expert double up.
michaelcole
Tête de la course

Post by michaelcole »

JeremyC wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:06 pm 1) throwing a loose 2x8 board over a stream does not constitute a bridge.
2) the 2 completely unridable hike a bike sections right after the powerline climb shouldn't be on a XC course. Tinker Juarez would have complained about that.
1) Sure it does.
2) Matt D. claims that he has ridden that whole course clean and dab-free multiple times. I question that a little bit as well. As for Tinker, his real strength was climbing. His old school BMX chops never really translated to being a serious technical MTBr.

But mostly... Nice freaking work you guys. That's an awesome MRC result for the race and the series.
Briana
Chasseur

Post by Briana »

Not much more to say Chris pretty much covered it.....the actual race anyway.

I will say i'm still not sure if the 15 mile warmup helped or hurt. I went out at 9:30 with the intention of a 5 mile beginner loop warm up. Being a quick loop i didn't have my computer or phone with me. I usually don't do this, in fact i can't remember a time when i didn't have at least one with me. About 1/2 hour in i take a left at the sign that says beginner, this has to be right...right? Nope, i end up on the expert course going in the wrong direction, i climb all the way up to the overlook (the wrong way). I go down the powerline until i run into Paul Curly who has also been out for way longer than intended. Oh, i forgot to mention i also didn't bring food or water and i'm wearing khaki shorts and a t-shirt. Paul convinces me he's going the right way so i turn around and ride my ass back up the ridiculous powerline climb. 3 more miles of backtracking and finally i see the cars. Plenty of time to spare before my race about 10 minutes. I get dressed, chug a large bottle of water, eat a clif bar and a gu and hike my way up to the start. Yeah you have to climb just to get to the start. Felt great for about 16 miles, a little cramping the last time up the fire road climb and the powerline climb but it was manageable. I bombed the last downhill to the finish. Pretty happy with a 4th place finish, these expert MTB races are no joke especially for us old guys.

Brian A.
Brian Anderson
remad
Peloton

Post by remad »

My race report is that I didn't take last in the beginners category and I finished in under an hour.
Mkidd3
Tête de la course

Post by Mkidd3 »

remad wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:21 pm My race report is that I didn't take last in the beginners category and I finished in under an hour.
You missed... ON A UNICYCLE!
cbusick
Tête de la course

Post by cbusick »

Results are posted.
https://results.bikereg.com/race/10445
https://results.bikereg.com/?n=results& ... 18_Ex4049M
Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 9.15.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 9.15.06 AM.png (136.79 KiB) Viewed 6080 times
-Chris Busick
Briana
Chasseur

Post by Briana »

:shock: Does this mean we have to do Landmine and Freetown 50 at the beginning of cross season?
Brian Anderson
cbusick
Tête de la course

Post by cbusick »

Briana wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:27 am :shock: Does this mean we have to do Landmine and Freetown 50 at the beginning of cross season?
One of us does, want to draw straws?
-Chris Busick
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Post by JeremyC »

cbusick wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:28 am
Briana wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:27 am :shock: Does this mean we have to do Landmine and Freetown 50 at the beginning of cross season?
One of us does, want to draw straws?
I will be a shell of my former self by then
oscarp
Chasseur

Post by oscarp »

Better seal it up at landmine because the freetown weekend mrc has the house at KT. And you cant miss out on that!
Btw, you 3 are my new mtb idols.
Oscar
Briana
Chasseur

Post by Briana »

oscarp wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:04 am Better seal it up at landmine because the freetown weekend mrc has the house at KT. And you cant miss out on that!
Btw, you 3 are my new mtb idols.
Thanks for the reminder on the KT trip, that makes this such an easy decision.

Brian A.
Brian Anderson
cbusick
Tête de la course

Post by cbusick »

A real tough guy will sober up from Saturday night at kingdom, get in car before Dawn and drive down to race Freetown. All the freetowners bragging about how hard core they are can't compare to doing the MRC 50 KT/Freetown 50 double.

Just saying. And the problem is people have already told me it's stupid which is just encouraging me.
-Chris Busick
Mkidd3
Tête de la course

Post by Mkidd3 »

Wait, why am I upgrading now? I'm 3rd in points with two more races to go! I could totally win the series!
oscarp
Chasseur

Post by oscarp »

cbusick wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:27 am A real tough guy will sober up from Saturday night at kingdom, get in car before Dawn and drive down to race Freetown. All the freetowners bragging about how hard core they are can't compare to doing the MRC 50 KT/Freetown 50 double.

Just saying. And the problem is people have already told me it's stupid which is just encouraging me.
Its absolutely brilliant. You should do it.
Oscar
pace21
Maillot Jaune

Post by pace21 »

Speaking of KT50’s — gotta give a shout out to Cactus Chris Mitchell for pulling off the exceedingly rare 3 day KT50/KT50/KT30 at NEMBAfest. That’s a solid weekend right there
cbusick
Tête de la course

Post by cbusick »

pace21 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:39 pm Speaking of KT50’s — gotta give a shout out to Cactus Chris Mitchell for pulling off the exceedingly rare 3 day KT50/KT50/KT30 at NEMBAfest. That’s a solid weekend right there
We've created a monster
-Chris Busick
cbusick
Tête de la course

Post by cbusick »

FWIW Cactus is tied for first in the series for mediocre millennials
-Chris Busick
Briana
Chasseur

Post by Briana »

cbusick wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:27 am Just saying. And the problem is people have already told me it's stupid which is just encouraging me.
I've been known to get talked into stupid things #mtwashingtonhillclimb
Brian Anderson
cbusick
Tête de la course

Post by cbusick »

Briana wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:32 am
cbusick wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:27 am Just saying. And the problem is people have already told me it's stupid which is just encouraging me.
I've been known to get talked into stupid things #mtwashingtonhillclimb
Yeah that's up there. I talked a bunch of people into it a few years ago
-Chris Busick