Pats Peak

Race reports
JSteiger
Lanterne Rouge

Pats Peak

Post by JSteiger »

I'll keep it short and sweet...
Small MRC showing this weekend - me, Smudger, and Ewan Smith.

Pat Peak always draws a small crowd. Not sure if it the distance or that it is wedged between two other race weekends. I personally think it is because it is an absolute SUFFERFEST!! Each lap (7.1 miles) is over 800 feet in climbing and most of it is continuous up the ski hill. The trail is full of rocks, roots and switchbacks. When you get to the top there is some really sweet smooth single track. The ride down the hill is fast but rough.
Perfect day for racing....
It was great seeing Smudger out there - a decent showing given the lack of training. Ask him how felt afterwards. His son Ewan - age 14 - had a strong ride capturing a podium and kicking his fathers ass.
I missed podium (sport 50+) by a minute or so taking 4th. We had the largest sport group with 14 lined up at the start. Race was decided pretty quickly. The winner took off from the start never to be seen again. 2nd place hung on to the spot for the race. I battled for 3rd for most of the race but just didn't have the climbing legs this time of year to hold on.

This course is a real old school mountain bike trail. It is a test of fitness and skill. Basically, we need to all try to race it next year.

Good luck to those racing TVR - check your teeth fillings before the weekend. I am missing it due to my son's graduation party.
JS