CCNS Kermis

Race reports
eboos
Peloton

CCNS Kermis

Post by eboos »

CCNS Kermis Race Report Cat 4/5

I did the advanced crit clinic earlier in the day, so I had plenty of time on this course. Particularly the left hand switchback that will lead into a right hand switchback. I found that I could take that left very fast. Being a new member, I had a pair of Minuteman bibs, but the rest of my kit was on order. Brian Haugli offered up a jersey for me to borrow, so I suited up. With 49 in the field I felt that it was important to stay towards the front, but not do the same mistake that I do over and over again which is lead and wear myself out. My goal was energy conservation and to finish with the pack.

With a large field, it felt like the race went: park, sprint, park, sprint. It was a little frustrating because if you got caught up in the park there was a significant yo-yo effect. I was more important for me to be towards the front so I can avoid the park, take advantage of corner speed and conserve energy by not having to sprint. I surfed through the pack pretty well, but a couple of times I got caught in the park and got shuffled back again. With about 6 laps to go, I got shuffled back for the last time and I lost the field. Here we go again. Another race turned into an individual time trial.

At least now I was free to ride the course the way that I can ride the course. I took the opportunity to sweep through every other dropped rider. They would try to stick to my wheel, but I would gap them in the corners and loose them. This went on for the remainder of the race. In the last lap, I passed someone who I don't know. He stuck to my wheel pretty well, and I could see by his shadow that he was right behind me. I soft peddled a little bit in the back half of the course and regained a little energy. I figured this guy's plan was to take my draft and pass on the sprint, so I made my lead out fairly ineffective, and launched my sprint in the middle of the last corner. It worked. 36/49. Turns out the guy that was behind me I may have lapped. Scoring has me finishing with the field, but they were at least a minute ahead of me.
Deltabrian
Domestique

Re: CCNS Kermis

Post by Deltabrian »

Good race and felt like I was starting to do the right things in a crit but need to work on cornering alot more. I felt I was wasting energy through most of those corners. Video here:
https://youtu.be/Y6Df_S5zywo
Jacob
Peloton

Post by Jacob »

This race is usually a lonely affair for me (except for that one time Tom came down and won it), but this year not only did my wife keep me company in the car a whole bunch of MRC showed up making a fun race funner.

Busick and Mingori were in the 40+. After a couple of laps, I saw Aetna, CVC, and Cyclonauts in a break and couldn't resist the temptation to join them. We were then joined by another Aetna, Tautkus, and maybe one other guy. This was all looking very promising, but the two Aetna guys seemed unsure of how hard they wanted to work and the Cyclonauts guy was useless -- refused to take a single pull, not even a token pull through. I guess it was the wrong combination of riders even though it was the right combination of teams. We got caught. Later a break of three with Aetna, CVC, and Cyclonauts went again and eventually stuck it (barely). Cyclonauts got dropped from the break and caught, but somehow still got third. I don't know if it was the same guy -- probably not... there were a lot of them. I made 8th after going wide around a crash on the inside line before the final turn.

Busick and Mingori doubled up with me in the 3/4 and we were joined by Robbie, Jason/Christo, and Gibson. A break of 5 went at some point in the middle. B2C2 got dropped from the break and caught and watching his teammates express their disappointment with him was good for a chuckle. We chased the break. The chase was about 40% Robbie, 30% B2C2 (they had a big team), and 30% everyone else. ROBBIE CRUSH. Even so, the break was strong and stayed away to the finish. I got in front of Chris G. and tried to be helpful on the last lap but my legs had used up all their fast and I was only helpful for the first half of the last lap. I had the mango habanero chicken sub.
cbusick
Tête de la course

Post by cbusick »

I thought a couple little crits around the uconn stadium would be a fun way to spend a Friday night. I was thinking more of a witches cup kind of crit though where you could sit in. There were so many accelerations in this course...

My legs hurt in my dreams Friday night. Good training, the opposite of what I'm good at.
-Chris Busick
rraymond
Domestique

Post by rraymond »

The only good things I can say about my race is that nobody crashed and it was a good workout. Damn that break was strong! I couldn't chase them down.