Grant’s Tomb 2018

Race reports
Thomas Coleman
Domestique

Grant’s Tomb 2018

Post by Thomas Coleman »

So personally I knew this was going to be a hard one for me to even show up at. The thought of driving 7+hrs round trip to do a race when I literally feel like I just came off of the trainer was a bit unnerving. But I made the trip anyway. Traffic was fine getting there and I found a good parking spot toward the bottom of the course. It was about 40d but the wind was whipping making it feel like it was in the lower 30’s. I was actually really nervous about the race feeling like my fitness was a bit questionable. I was able to stay warm until the start, but when the jacket came off I was a bit nervous with how I dressed due to I was freezing! But as soon as the whistle blew the chillyness was gone. My goal was to race conservatively and make every pedal stroke count. I was able to stay in a good position for most of the race in the pack. At about 20min to go a group of about 8 started to go off the front and I followed. When it was my pull I rode them off my wheel and I had a sinking feeling this wasn’t going anywhere so I chilled and surfed wheels till we were caught. So I sat in till about 3 to go when I move to the front. At that point there was 2 guys off the front with a 10sec gap all though I wasn’t too concerned cause GLV was starting to try to get something together at the front along with Rockstar. On the last lap at the line the 2 guys were caught and I just sat and waited on wheels coming up the final hill I made sure I was on the inside away from the wind, when everyone accelerated I jumped as hard as I could. It was a bit long and I thought I might get nabbed but it was just enough to take the win.

Then I did the podium and tried to stay warm and jumped in the p123 were I just tried to get it over with. I really didn’t have the legs to do much more and finished in the bunch.
pace21
Maillot Jaune

Re: Grant’s Tomb 2018

Post by pace21 »

So awesome
KTeves
Tête de la course

Post by KTeves »

You're a beast Tom! Congrats!
KT
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Post by JeremyC »

Train less, Win more I guess. Huge congrats!!!
Jacob
Peloton

Post by Jacob »

Great job!
oscarp
Chasseur

Post by oscarp »

pretty cool!
Oscar
jraguin
Tête de la course

Post by jraguin »

Awesome Tom. Love the picture on Facebook!
pcollins
Peloton

Post by pcollins »

Congrats again Tom! It was great to see you there!
Thomas Coleman
Domestique

Post by Thomas Coleman »

Thanks everyone! That is definitely going to be a highlight of my season! Here’s the link to the last laps and 1/2 from my GoPro
https://youtu.be/RIGJW2iWUvk
peterkuhn
Domestique

Post by peterkuhn »

man that was a loong kick too. Nice work!!