Really Rad Fest. of CX

Race reports
pcollins
Peloton

Really Rad Fest. of CX

Post by pcollins »

Day 1
I was immediately impressed by the UCI-level setup of this race when I showed up. Unfortunately, the field sizes were quite low, as there were many competing races this weekend. I chose to do this race because it wasn’t a long drive, had amazing prize money for Sunday and I thought I had a very good chance at winning at least one of the days. The main rival was Adam Myerson.

The course for day 1 was short, fast, turny, featuring a sand section and a tricky technical uphill, with not too much elevation. The first lap was pretty slow, as Adam got a small gap through the sand and I let another guy close the gap down. The second lap was fast, which led to the formation of the lead group of Adam, Bobby Nash and I. We kept the pace going for a few laps, then started playing cat and mouse. We’d sometimes race for the sandpit, which I had difficulty with, as I couldn’t nail the line. There were two main lines and I choose the same one each time, but it was much harder than the other one, which I didn’t know at the time. Adam and Bobby are wizards in the sand and an instant 5 second gap would form if I was on the back. Occasionally I made sure to lead into the sand to not have to chase back on. Adam wasn’t pleased with this tactic as would effectively slow the group down.

I attacked a few times but it was hard to lay down sustained power on this course with all the turns, so getting a gap didn’t work. After a few more laps of cat and mouse, there was 1 lap to go and Nate was closing in on our group. I held off any attacks, stopped pushing the pace and sat on our group in hopes that Nate would bridge up to us, which he did with half a lap to go! I returned to the front of the group, led it into the technical uphill, which I rode, but Adam, who was right behind me, decided to run it for the first time, passing me on the inside. I was ready to attack hard out of that section but with him in front of me in a single file off-camber section, busy getting clipped in, there was no going around. Arrggh! :x

But then Nate attacks hard shortly after and keeps the pace high until we pass the pit, where I counter-attacked from the back of the group going into the last few corners. Adam made it onto my wheel going into the finish straight and outsprinted me for the win. I got 2nd, Nate 3rd, Bobby 4th. I was disappointed I didn’t win but knew there was always tomorrow. Though, it was cool to have Nate back at the front of races and both of us on the podium.

Day 2
Going into day 2 I decided I wanted to make the race less tactical, by trying to get a winning gap around halfway through. The course was different but better IMO. It was longer, so less laps. There was an extra sand section immediately after the same sand section from Day 1, but there was a longer run-in which allowed more speed to be carried into it. This, combined with taking a different line allowed me to ride the sand MUCH better and faster compared to Day 1.
Nate got the holeshot was leading the first lap, hopping the barriers and the wood planks, which was very impressive. The lead group of Adam, Nate and I formed after ~2 laps. Throughout the race, Nate and I would take turns attacking, forcing Adam to cover every single one. Around halfway through I decided to really go for it, I had a small gap on Adam for maybe a quarter of a lap, but he eventually caught me. Nate got gapped off by about ~10 seconds so I shut it down to let Nate catch back on.

With 1 lap to go, I asked Nate to attack where he had a clear advantage on Adam: the barriers, then through the sand and over the wood planks. If Nate was going to win the race it would have been through those techy sections that only he could ride. Unfortunately, Nate went into the barriers too fast and crashed into the metal fencing on the exit, hitting his arm hard. Adam was now leading with me on his tail and Nate about 10 seconds behind. I was processing so many scenarios about whether to attack, where to attack, or to sit behind Adam. I decided to sit behind Adam, forcing him to lead to keep his gap on Nate. I thought Nate was going to catch back on, but he didn’t as he was in quite a bit of pain. So, it was down to another sprint, this time with Myerson leading it out.

He slowed it waaay down in the last corner, almost to the point of brake-checking, then wound it up. Adam replaced his 40t chainring with a 44t just for Sunday's sprint, which I didn’t know. Once he put it in the 11, I realized I was going to lose in my 40-11 and was outsprinted again. The dude can sprint, and he’s savvy & smart bike racer… tough to beat, especially on these courses. I was disappointed with the result again, but felt much better about how Nate and I raced together against Adam. We had him on the ropes. It was a good, fun race.

I hope this race goes UCI in the next few years. It certainly has the potential. The organization and prize money was exceptional. The prize list was $1,500/15 deep on Sunday, but only a dozen or so showed up. This race deserves more participation. It’s pretty sad and maybe evidence that prize money isn’t a motivator for participation for most people.
jraguin
Tête de la course

Re: Really Rad Fest. of CX

Post by jraguin »

Great job both days Patrick. You will get him soon!
rraymond
Domestique

Re: Really Rad Fest. of CX

Post by rraymond »

Nice job Patrick! It was fun watching your race Sunday and nice job riding through the sand pit. I didn't see anyone in your race besides you, Nate and Adam successfully ride through it

I did the 4/5 race on Sunday but didn't pre register so I started from the back. First lap was much slower than any of my other laps because I was caught behind all the crashing and slow downs when things bottle necked. Still not doing well on the loose surface stuff but was able to make up time whenever I got a chance to pedal hard. Finished 16th which I'm happy about since it knocks out my DQ from night weasels on my cross results points average. Tucker Wetmore from MRC got 2nd in the race too!