Mansfield Hollow Race report

Race reports
dantelman
Peloton

Mansfield Hollow Race report

Post by dantelman »

Mansfield Hollow CX (2017)
"Nobody told me there'd be days like these..."

If you're looking for a traditional CX course, look no further.

Easily my worst performance of the 2017 CX season, Mansfield hollow is a true Cyclocross Course, which includes tight turns, off cambers, sand, loose dirt, a few rocks and multiple dismounts. The conditions were dry and dusty and it seems like we're having a repeat of the 2016 drought in MA and Eastern CT. There were 3 sets of barriers, plus a log that required dismounting.

I didn't have high expectations for Saturday's Masters 50 race, as I've mostly done the 40+ 4/5 races and the 50+ level of competition is higher. No familiar faces from MA teams. I could tell on the preview lap that the course would be challenging, lots of loose powdery dirt in the corners, a bunch of deep sand, a steep drop off and two steeper ascents (one of them I ran up every lap as it wasn't much faster to try and ride it)
The course favored good bike handlers and those that could maintain smooth transitions. I tended to get flustered in the corners especially when I hit the soft stuff and my bike didn't seem to want to go where I wanted it to. Aside from one 50 yard uphill grind and two longer straightways, there weren't really any places where I could use my fitness or hill climbing ability to gain an advantage.
The weather was warm and humid- by the end of the race the dust cloud of dirt melded into the sweat to make most of us look like Pigpen in peanuts... a portable shower would have been helpful at the end.
I might go back to Mansfield Hollow State Park, it looks like a nice place to ride, the area looks good for road riding as well.
Next up... GLOUCESTER😳
Hup Hup
Mkidd3
Tête de la course

Re: Mansfield Hollow Race report

Post by Mkidd3 »

One of my favorite courses!
pcollins
Peloton

Post by pcollins »

Desperate to come back from illness, find some more cross fitness and confidence, I passed on the original trip I planned to Baltimore to race Charm City and decided to make a double local race weekend. My goal for Mansfield Hollow was to make the podium, which I knew was realistic given who was registered.

I had a decent start and was in 5th place for the majority of the first lap, made my way up to 3rd on the second lap, then closed down the gap to first place shortly after, with Eneas Freyre and Alex McCormack right behind. I got a small gap on the two through a technical section and tried to stretch it out while somewhat staying within myself, as I thought Eneas would claw me back like he usually does (he’s very strong). I had a steady lead of about 10 seconds, maybe less, then when I saw 3 laps to go I knew I had to go all in to make the gap grow and stick. I was successful and won!

The course was great, featuring sand, punchy/steep/short hills, and 4 dismounts per lap (for me). It was fun to find a smooth rhythm, and ride my own race, especially in flowy sections. This was just what I needed after a rough start to the season. :D
Jacob
Peloton

Post by Jacob »

Nice Patrick!
dantelman
Peloton

Post by dantelman »

MOST EXCELLENT! :)

pcollins wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:09 pm Desperate to come back from illness, find some more cross fitness and confidence, I passed on the original trip I planned to Baltimore to race Charm City and decided to make a double local race weekend. My goal for Mansfield Hollow was to make the podium, which I knew was realistic given who was registered.

I had a decent start and was in 5th place for the majority of the first lap, made my way up to 3rd on the second lap, then closed down the gap to first place shortly after, with Eneas Freyre and Alex McCormack right behind. I got a small gap on the two through a technical section and tried to stretch it out while somewhat staying within myself, as I thought Eneas would claw me back like he usually does (he’s very strong). I had a steady lead of about 10 seconds, maybe less, then when I saw 3 laps to go I knew I had to go all in to make the gap grow and stick. I was successful and won!

The course was great, featuring sand, punchy/steep/short hills, and 4 dismounts per lap (for me). It was fun to find a smooth rhythm, and ride my own race, especially in flowy sections. This was just what I needed after a rough start to the season. :D
Hup Hup
dantelman
Peloton

Post by dantelman »

I have to admit it was nice to line up and NOT have 120 people at the line. Only about 35 in the Masters 50.

Mkidd3 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:37 pm One of my favorite courses!
Hup Hup