Suckerbrook 2017

Race reports
cbusick
Tête de la course

Suckerbrook 2017

Post by cbusick »

So, Suckerbrook. I didn't race it.
Did anyone else? I don't see any race reports? Did anyone get their first CX podium?
-Chris Busick
tsavage
Chasseur

Re: Suckerbrook 2017

Post by tsavage »

Anna got her second Cat 3 podium! Does that count? She's 1/2 way to a 2!
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells
cbusick
Tête de la course

Post by cbusick »

That counts for something. Nice job Anna!
-Chris Busick
Briana
Chasseur

Post by Briana »

I raced the 40+ Master 1-3 at Suckerbrook. Had a front row start with Chris Pare right behind me. I had a good start and settled in around 6th place after a couple laps. Slowly faded as that laps clicked by and the heat got the best of me. I ended up 10th with Pare close behind. Avg HR 187, MAX HR 199. Those numbers are about 10-15 BPM higher than I normally see after a CX race, I blame the heat, it was way to hot on Sunday. Still a great course and a super fun race. Thanks Todd Savage for cheering us on, I could hear you. Also to those in the sand pit, I heard you guys too.

-Brian Anderson
Brian Anderson
pace21
Maillot Jaune

Post by pace21 »

I'm not gonna lie, it sure is fun having a teammate to chase as a carrot in CX. Weird how in road racing it's all about working together as a team for a singular result, where in CX it's all about pushing each other to perform individually. Different dynamic, and both are awesome. Thanks Briana!

For the race, I came in feeling pretty good the last 2 weeks and even though I staged 23rd I was gunning for a top 10 result in the 40+. I got lucky (and sneaky quick) on the call up and managed to find a single empty slot left on the second row when they called my number sequence. Nice. It happened to be right behind Briana. Nicer. Whistle goes and I get a good start, similarly quick clip in compared to Quad although this time I commit to sprinting the entirety of the start straight rather than coasting the last 25 meters. It works, and I pass a bunch of people and slot into 5th or 6th wheel. Get passed by a few on the first lap, including both Miles (who had a bad start but went on to finish 3rd) and my new favorite nemesis Briana. I found a group with Kurt Schmid, Briana, and Jim Frame and we clustered together until the Soul Sucking Sandpit of Suck.

SSSS was my undoing every lap. I legit lost anywhere from 2-10 seconds per lap on my group in the SSSS and had to use the next 1/2 lap to catch back on, usually not until the looong power straight on the gravel road. I loved the course everywhere else though, a perfect combination of turns, power sections, and technical features. Kurt Schmid and I had a great battle for several laps until he ultimately pulled away at the SSSS on lap 4 (this was the 10 second version of my time-bleeding).

On the last lap I was sloooowly reeling in Briana and I could see that he was fading though unfortunately I was fading at roughly the same rate. Coming up from behind me was another nemesis who finished ahead of me at Quad, and though I had 10 seconds on him at the start of the bell lap he pulled it back to 5 going into the SSSS and ended up latching on at the exit of the SSSS and proceeded to outsprint me for 11th. Briana was in a state of great angst at the end, and we all finished within 3 seconds of each other (me and my two nemesi), with Briana getting the better of the both of us and cracking the top 10. Well done sir!

BTW I loved Mark's recap of White Park -- I'm not sure if he liked the White Park course?
cbusick
Tête de la course

Post by cbusick »

Oh, the recaps of the SSSS bring it all back to me in vivid detail.
I remember asking Meyerson once what is strategy was, did he ride to the corner and then run or try to make it around the corner before dismounting,
or what. His reply "Easy, I just ride the whole thing".

Bastard.
-Chris Busick
Briana
Chasseur

Post by Briana »

Thanks for the nickname Chris, although it's kinda bad for me because it sounds like a girls name it's worse for you because now everyone thinks you got beat by a girl ;-). I see many great races in our future.

Brian Anderson
Brian Anderson
KTeves
Tête de la course

Post by KTeves »

Cat 4/5 Masters 40+

Sucker Brook IMO is a great CX course. And it seems CP would agree with me. It has everything you can expect (want?) in a CX course: stair run-up—check, barriers—check, sand pit—check, turn-y technical sections—check, power section—check.

I lined-up in the front row anxious and determined to get a better start than Quad after gaffing the clip-in there. We rolled up to the starting line after the 4/5 race went off, a short pause, the whistle blows, and we're off! Clip-in was better this time, but not flawless. I'm going full sprint up the uphill asphalt section when I hear Dick Ring say over the PA, "Wow! They're really starting fast," or something to that effect. l looked left and right and to my complete shock there's no one near. Up ahead though was Nate from 545 Velo. (This would end-up being the recurring theme for the entire race.) I kept going as hard as needed to stay with Nate and was soon wondering how much longer I could keep up the pace and if I had gone too hard, too early and would blow-up. Thankfully Nate slowed some and I started feeling reassured that I could keep going.

On to lap 2 and it's still me and Nate in the lead. Somewhere in the grass turn-y tech section Nick Nardelli—also 545 Velo—caught up and yelled something to Nate as he made the catch. Nate fell almost immediately afterwards in turn and yelled something back at Nick (I don't think he was happy). Nick and I passed Nate and sometime after Nick passed me, but I don't even remember exactly when. Nate caught back up to me before too long and the rest of the race was us trading places, but to be honest I think mostly me chasing him.

I kept chugging away going about as hard as I think I could and was running a very clean race, but I kept thinking that the front of the rest of the race would catch on at some point. It's lap 3 now and Georgette is at the barriers yelling encouragement and telling m that I'm in 3rd place. In my oxygen-deprived state I forgot about Nick and thought Nate and I were still 1st and 2nd.

Lap 4 and 'The Song Remains the Same.' Nick is out front with a decent gap, I'm chasing Nate who has now put about 5 seconds on me, and the rest haven't caught up. Georgette is at the barriers again yelling encouragement and telling me I'm still in third, and I know what's on her mind—and it's on my mind too—"This could be your first podium. Don't blow this!!" Up until this point I had nary a bobble. But coming into the log barrier I failed to unclip and went down. I almost kept upright, but it was enough of a gaffe that the two guys behind me went past. "Noooooo!" I happened to catch their bibs as they went by and thankfully they were in the 4/5 race not mine. "Yesssss!" I got back on the bike quickly and was off hoping that I didn't give anyone a chance to catch me. One last time through the sand pit, a left turn onto the finishing straight, a glance back to make sure on one was going to catch me at the line, then relief (and jubilation :) ) at the finish line (3rd). And exhaustion.
KT
cbusick
Tête de la course

Post by cbusick »

YAY! Congratulations Kevin!
-Chris Busick
Mkidd3
Tête de la course

Post by Mkidd3 »

Great job Kev!!
Jacob
Peloton

Post by Jacob »

Nice!
dantelman
Peloton

Post by dantelman »

I raced the 40+ 4/5. My first CX race in 4 years (last raced in 2013) so I wasn't expecting much. No points so started at the back of 78 riders! A lot of shaky riders on the first half lap, you can lose all kind of time being stuck behind the traffic. There was a big heavy guy that when I started to pass him he went off his line and nearly clipped me. Someone stopped dead in front of me and then that big guy got around me again. The next time I saw him he was going slow on an off-camber and drifted downhill and knocked me over. Another 10-15 sec to get off the ground and get going again. I finally passed the big guy in the sandpit- on foot because he couldn't run and I could. Things picked up a bit and I started picking off riders and moving up. Then another mishap on lap 2, on the step up dismount before the sandpit I was on the far right and slammed my bars into the vertical post. After I got back on my bike I realized I had no rear brake- the cable had popped out. I thought about finishing with only the front brake but then decided that would be unsafe so I rode into the pit and reattached the cable. Most of the riders I'd passed went ahead again. Once again though I pressed on and managed to re-pass many of them again.

I found a good strategy was to follow a good rider, not only his line but someone going at a fast pace, and try to keep pace with him or pass him on the long straight where as a roadie maybe I have some advantage. Having re-established my position, which was still 40-50 riders back on the 3rd lap I had another mishap on that step. I didn't lift the b ike high enough, the rear wheel hit and the chain dropped. After that point the final lap was just trying to go as hard as I could and not lose any more place.

I have to say I loved the course, 58th is not the result I wanted, but realistically when you're starting all the way at the back its not going to be easy finishing in the top 25. There were a few small errors, but the big ones cost me, i.e. the two mechanicals. You can't really control someone knocking you down, it happens. My race was at 9 am, so it wasn't hot like Brian's.. I think my HR was running at 160-165 which is about 10 bpm below my max.

The bottom line is I raced, had fun and learned a few things that will help me in the next race.

doug
Hup Hup
jraguin
Tête de la course

Post by jraguin »

Great race reports guys and nice job. Great podium Kevin! Makes me want to race CX... OK, no, it actually does not.
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Post by JeremyC »

KT!