Longsjo 2017

Race reports
jraguin
Tête de la course

Longsjo 2017

Post by jraguin »

Just posting something so other people add to it...
Raced Fitchburg 40+. Last second decision, glad I did it. Had some very hard laps about 1/3 into the race. Race got completely strung out and that is where a bunch of guys were dropped. Then it was more manageable. Every few laps I would really try to make an effort to get to the front and would get closer (but not close enough) by going on the outside or inside on the downhill (or uphill). I wanted to get to the front with 3 to go to help the team, but found myself on the inside and just couldn't get outside. Then by 1 1/2 to go, I could see I just was not going to get there, so just rode it in. Pack fodder.

Did the cancelled Fondo ride course with Oscar, John E, Chris B, and Mark B. Maybe a blessing that the Fondo didn't happen. That course was very tough. I don't think many Fondo riders would have liked it.
JBurgel
Autobus

Re: Longsjo 2017

Post by JBurgel »

WATTS (do not equal) CRAFTINESS
Realized mid-week that I'd be able to drive the 10+ hours back from vacation in time for the Sunday edition of the Longsjo Classic. So glad I was able to make it to race both the 40+ and support the team on the 3/4. Not having raced at Fitchburg I was pleasantly surprised to see the long uphill finishline sprint and even more excited to see the quartering headwind from the left that would make it hard for the lighter guys (miles billings...) to sprint away. After shaking vacation rust off my legs for a few laps I found that it was easiest to hold speed through the corners in the top 10, but not so easy to keep that position. Like JR noted above, moving up was possible along the outside as long as you were willing to burn some watts and fight for position before the turn. Chris P, Dave M, Dave McCay, Jerome G, Chris B, Oscar and John R all made appearances at the front end, with Chris P patrolling breaks and Dave M hitting out a few laps with either Jerome or Dave Mc (I can't tell you apart...I suck at ass recognition) helping out. With 10 to go I made a push for the Butcher Box Prime (mistake #1), not recognizing it had been taken by a solo rider (mistake #2) who must have come out of the pits for a free lap - no beef for me! Went into recovery mode and was able to get my head/watts back by lap 5. Finding Pare in his usual position, I let him know I was ready to start to rip, but he pointed at his wheel and said "soft" . . . with 3 to go I was moving up when I f'd the bottom corner (turns 3 and 4) losing mind control (mistake #3) and about 20 positions and had to burn a match to get back into contention at the top turn. Heading into lap 2's bottom corner I see Pare ahead of the pack ("Where did he come from" and "Wheel change" popped into my head) that was now ramping up for the sprint . . . but he didn't have the speed to negotiate the corner and I danced around him coming through turn 4 in about 10th. On the final downhill lap I attempted to rest a little (mistake #4), but got swamped back 8 or 10 places but was able to maintain speed through the bottom corner even passing a chain dropper, and started my sprint early, scratching and clawing up to 8th moving through the field and gaining on Bobby, Hildebrand, and Billings but running out of real estate before the finish line. In looking through the results I see I was the best CAT 3 out there, but the guys with race smarts clearly outmatched me.

For the 3/4 race I tagged along the back of the bunch until I realized how terrifying racing with CAT 4's into the bottom corner could be, so pushed my way forward sitting most of the race with Miller, moving up when he looked exposed or trying to block when he went with a break. Again Dave and Dave McCay went to the front to work mid way through...by the end I was cooked, but pedaled hard on the back side, got blocked in early on the sprint, and couldn't close it down at the finish.

I did get a couple consolation trophies though . . . getting a shout out from my friend Richard Fries for all the work I do for bike trails and bike facilities and then also was able to ride sweep for the two junior races that did full laps - representing MRC as the Lanterne Rouge!

Josh out.
jraguin
Tête de la course

Post by jraguin »

OK, stumbled upon this. The entire Masters 40+ race at Fitchburg as seen by the guy who got 2nd, David Hildrebrand. It has both front and rear view.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV-3lqL6f1g&t=306s

It is a lesson on mostly what to do. Watch his move on the final straight. It helps if you have that kind of power, but it is impressive.
If you want to have a clinic on what not to do, try in these videos to find me. You basically won't. That shows you what NOT to do.
JBurgel
Autobus

Post by JBurgel »

Nice find. That is impressive amount of power, and his jump out of the corner was a lesson in free speed!