Witches Cup

Race reports
pace21
Maillot Jaune

Witches Cup

Post by pace21 »

Rolled up to the witches cup with Stefan since we work like 300 meters from each other and now it's an annual "thing". Got there plenty early, surveyed the newly (and nicely) resurfaced roadway, and talked about the usual pre race routine and strategy stuff. Met up with Todd S and 2 of our newer Juniors Nolan and Patrick during warmup and course inspection. Jeremy who got there a little late but figured why get in a good warmup cause crits never start fast, right? Lined up with 85 guys (it was a sold out 3/4 category but field limits were reduced from last year after a couple big pileups). Where's Jacob? He's pre reged and we had a whole conversation about this race on Sunday at wells. Hmmm.

On to the race -- relatively tame start, the usual sketchiness and surge/slow thing going on. Halfway through the race I look to my right and -- is that -- Jacob??? Sweet, we're all here. I've seen Jacob riding and racing really well this summer so I knew he'd be a great asset for the team. Fast forwarding past a few failed breaks and a few pavement samplings we get Richard fries on the mic saying 7 to go! That was quick... Laps are around a minute so time to start thinking about positioning and finishing strategy. One problem was a reasonably dangerous break of 2 ( or was it 3? Oh the fog...) up the road. With 4 laps to go Jeremy rolls to the front and orchestrates a chase and leads by example while pulling the field for a lap. Break caught, nicely done JC. With 2 to go I'm top 10 and Jacob is right in front of me. The front guys are dying off as the pace picks up been then the dreaded slowdown occurs. We all know what happens next -- swarmville. Thankfully Jacob took matters in to his own hands and re-strung it out for the lap and when he was done we were close enough to the finish (1 minute lap) that the pace stayed high till the end. PERFECT timing by Jacob to burn those matches to keep the pace high. Last lap, I purposely drift back to fifth wheel or so, we're hammering down the back stretch and we rail the second to last corner. At the exit, Mike Wissell attacks hard and I and one other guy (Ken Thoman of RSC) react and come around on to mikes wheel with a string behind us. The acceleration to get on mikes wheel gave me a head of steam which carried me past Ken, but I didn't really want to be there with still 250meters and a corner left, so I eased up to try to slot back in behind Ken, but just then I realized that both Mike and Ken were easing also. I thought now or never and attacked hard into the final corner, took it way too fast and almost ended up in the curb, then opened up for the last 150meters or so. With 50 to go the eventual 2nd place finisher came out of my draft and around me, so I poured everything I had down and a bike throw later I got him by a whisker at the line. 1st place, and for anyone keeping track yes it's my first win ever on a road bike. For our troubles I walked away with 100 bucks and a totally cheesy (and in my opinion, awesome) trophy. Ice cream for everyone at the Salem Screamery. Great teamwork and a great night, including the yummiest root beer float I've had in a while....
Len_E
Peloton

Re: Witches Cup

Post by Len_E »

Chris, congrats. Well done and much deserved. Teammates - way to support and pick your places. Great work all around. Hell of a team effort.
treeswayers
Autobus

Post by treeswayers »

congrats on the win!
Mkidd3
Tête de la course

Post by Mkidd3 »

Very well done!
Smudger
Tête de la course

Post by Smudger »

Feckin awesome
Robd2
Domestique

Post by Robd2 »

Yes very very well done Chris and team!
swawersik
Chasseur

Post by swawersik »

Chris forgot to mention that he THEN reg'd "day of" for the P/1/2/3 race, where he finished 41st of 80-ish.

Jeremy and I went to the beer tent and took turns walking around with Chris' trophy, humbly smiling when people congratulated us for winning. We may not be faster than Chris, but we're smarter. ;)
rusto
Maillot Jaune

Post by rusto »

TERRIFIC job, Chris and team!
- Russ, MRC webmaster

#DONTRIDETHATRUSS
PJ McQuade
Chasseur

Post by PJ McQuade »

It was only a matter of time, Chris, great ride Jacob and Jeremy paved the way, love the teamwork!
To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first.
-Shakespeare
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Post by JeremyC »

And yes the trophy was cheesy. I'd like one someday.
onegeardoug
Chasseur

Post by onegeardoug »

NICE!
argus
Peloton

Post by argus »

Sweet!!
Jacob
Peloton

Post by Jacob »

What an amazing race! I burned my first match driving up route 95 in a traffic jam. After a few dozen minutes of finger drumming, tailgating and relaxation breathing, we got to the edge of Salem Common. I leapt from the still-running vehicle and sprinted towards the registration table, leaving my wife Michelle to find a parking spot. I got there just in time – they were just about to wrap up the 3/4 sign-in, but I got my number! Ok, now where's Michelle with the car and all of my stuff? I texted. I called. I walked back to the place where I got out of the car. Finally contact… where are you?!? Put the phone on speaker – What’s the cross street? HOLD ON, I’M RUNNING! This is my warm-up. Maybe I shouldn’t have worn my sandals today? Ok, found the car and I have to triage the preparation: pump up the tires -- yes, heart rate strap – no, put on gloves – yes, attach Velcro wrist straps on gloves –no. Hey look, my shoelace is broken! Well, that’s why they put two on each shoe, right? I clip in and one of my safety pins immediately rips through my race number. Well, there are three more of those to hold the thing on. I head up the street and HAVE TO STOP FOR A RED LIGHT. There’s steam coming out of my ears. I turn towards the course; I yell out and a cop holds up the yellow tape boundary and I shoot underneath. Ok did I miss the start? Looks like yes! I bolt around the course and pull up at the start line. The field is half a lap away from me and people are giving me funny looks. Is this guy really fast or really slow? Neither, just really late. I talk to a woman wearing a Witches Cup shirt and holding a flag. “Hey, I’m late. Can I just jump in?” Affirmative – although I don’t think that I actually talking to an official race referee, so this is marginally legitimate, but after all this stress, I want to race! I wait for the field and let it pass me, then I chase onto the back of it. That first lap was neutral anyways, right? :?

I go from a dead stop onto the back of a moving peloton with no real warm-up. Wheee!!! Race phase 1 is complete: I did everything precisely wrong to be ready to race this thing. Fortunately I was able to improve from there and do a few things right. My highlight was attacking the 2nd to last corner with Chris on my wheel. We went around that corner VERY FAST. I had 2nd wheel of the field, Chris 3rd. I had a great position to watch Chris then go and attack the final corner. Can he do it? I went to the line for 19th place – it felt more like a hustle than a sprint. Chris wasn’t even 100% certain that he had won it, but he did! Congrats!
Jacob
Peloton

Post by Jacob »

jraguin
Tête de la course

Post by jraguin »

WOW!!! That is fantastic Chris! Great job Jeremy and Jacob... the J&J team strikes again. I have to admit, I am starting to re-think this "no crit" rule I have... already broke it doing Longsjo Leominster this year.
NCgaron
Domestique

Post by NCgaron »

Really amazing race Chris and team it unfortunately did not go so well for me but we got a few shots of the finish.

pace21
Maillot Jaune

Post by pace21 »

The photos don't seem to be loading, at least not on my computer

Here's one:
witchescup.jpg
witchescup.jpg (226.48 KiB) Viewed 27613 times
cbusick
Tête de la course

Post by cbusick »

Awesome!
-Chris Busick
ahamilton
Tête de la course

Post by ahamilton »

Excellent teamwork makes the win even better. Way to work together! Fun write-ups, too.