Battenkill

Race reports
argus
Peloton

Re: Battenkill

Post by argus »

Not sure of the Scottish expression for describing my first road race, (dogs something or other) but mega-wicked-awesome works. We were all very fortunate to have a super day for a race in an absolutely beautiful location. It was great to see so many MRCers have great and memorable races.
The race actually started the day before when I scouted the course with Len. He wanted to ride as many of the hill climbs as possible (on the bike, not the car) and it didn’t take long for the little confidence I had to disappear riding hills with Len. Race day I got to the course around 8:00am and had plenty of time to build on the nervous tension as my wave did not start until 12:10. I was concerned how it would be riding in a pack, but it was not too uncomfortable. After about 8 miles I moved towards the front and found myself behind the leader. When he pulled over, I was then pulling the pack up Juniper Swamp, pretty much the last place I wanted to be. Pulled for a reasonable time and then moved to the side and watch everyone blow by me and fought hard to rejoin the pack. The pack eventually split up and I hung-in with a few other riders. When we hit the next set of hills I rode forward to the next group up ahead. This was the pattern for the rest of the race, sticking with a group on the flats and downhills and on the climbs moving ahead to riders in front of me. At the end I hammered the last 4 miles as best I could, it was gratifying to pass a few people on the home stretch as they were probably doing 20mph. And it was nice not to have to run after the bike.
Observations: Russ, great picture of Matt smiling on the uphill. And as always, great pictures in the post above.
That soft squishy grey dirt at the bottom of the descents will be etched in my mind for a while.
Carl, that witches brew its really good stuff, just an acquired taste.
Lastly, what’s with the 9:00 pm bedtimes Saturday night, the chocolate oatmeal stout made for excellent pre-race fuel.
Great seeing everyone.
rusto
Maillot Jaune

Post by rusto »

Video of crash descending Meetinghouse Road: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUfdiLXxIb4
- Russ, MRC webmaster

#DONTRIDETHATRUSS
ahamilton
Tête de la course

Post by ahamilton »

That is (the freakishly strong) Len, who I believe did the Masters race.
carlshimer
Chasseur

Post by carlshimer »

Was that crash avoidable? I have always assumed that with the right chops you should be able to stay upright. It looks like the rider perhaps tried to over-correct with the front wheel.
rusto
Maillot Jaune

Post by rusto »

carlshimer wrote:Was that crash avoidable? I have always assumed that with the right chops you should be able to stay upright. It looks like the rider perhaps tried to over-correct with the front wheel.
I agree. It seems like the rear wheel got a little squirrely so what I would have done is just let it settle back in as I keep the front wheel on a straight line. I think she might have also grabbed some brake which made things worse.
- Russ, MRC webmaster

#DONTRIDETHATRUSS
pierso
Peloton

Post by pierso »

Looks to me like she needs some experience a NBX riding on the beach!
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Post by JeremyC »

Thank god this didn't happen at Battenkill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Qcg#at=130
scott_sweeney
Tête de la course

Post by scott_sweeney »

Jere was that dude sitting on saddle rails only???? New definition of hard-ass!
Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door.
rusto
Maillot Jaune

Post by rusto »

Some pix I took after the race:

- Russ, MRC webmaster

#DONTRIDETHATRUSS