GP of Gloucester Day II

Race reports
michaelcole
Tête de la course

GP of Gloucester Day II

Post by michaelcole »

Sunday was soooooooooooo much better than Saturday in virtually all possible criteria.
*The weather was nearly perfect if possibly too hot for cross season.
*The course was nearly perfect. Could have used more cornering in place of all those long straight power sections.
*The race actually went well for me. Gary still beat me but I was close enough to be happy for a guy with 1 bike ride since August. And I had no mechanical issues unlike yesterday when the gods were out to get me (and succeeded with a busted spoke that almost stopped me dead and a chain that really wanted to be in the spokes instead of on the cogs.)
*There was beer. (nothing to add here)
*Saw lots of people I haven't seen much (if at all) since last 'cross season.
*Met a couple of the MRC newbies who looked great out there.
*The ladies put on a great show with a couple of top 15 placings in the Elite race and 5 in the top 25. Congrats Andrea on scoring UCI points 2 days in a row!!!!!

Congrats to everyone who raced. Sorry I couldn't get there early enough too see the first couple of races each day.
Smudger
Tête de la course

Re: GP of Gloucester Day II

Post by Smudger »

Weather was so much better but unfortunately my results weren't.

Due to some no shows I managed to get on the 2nd row at the start (right behind NEBC guy from day 1 which was pretty ironic). Really wasn't sure how the legs would react to racing back to back so the plan was just to follow his wheel and hopefully get into the top 10 for the 1st corner. Thought I was doing OK then a couple of bikes flew past on the steeper section and I couldn't react. Fortunately they all hit their brakes as they entered the grass and I just let the bike roll right past them. Think I was probably between 15th and 20th after all was said and done and we were on the course good and proper. The dead feeling in my legs wasn't too inspiring though. I was thinking "ride within myself keep the bike upright and I might be able to pick off a few as they tire". The course still confuses me so I'm struggling to remember where it fitted into the lap but as we came past the main park building and dropped back onto the grass, rounded the tree on the left then had a sweeping right hander that I had taken wide every lap on day 1 I did the same again. Unfortunately it was so thick with mud this time I stacked it and went down over the bars. Chris P zoomed past on the inside at this point showing off he motoX skills. I jumped back on and started to chase back. The 1st time through the off camber section just after the finish was a blast bodies everywhere. One giy went down pretty hard in front I cut inside another and almost took Chris as he slingshot himself out the last corner by grabbing a course marker as his pivot. I had tried running and riding the sand in the pre-ride and it was obvious to me it was faster and a lot less tiring to ride. I elected to not be too aggressive and save my energy for the straight after the pit. Strategy worked well and picked up a few places. Seemed to be working my way through the field a bit but couldn't really determine how far back I was. Thought there was maybe another group in front of the group of 7 or 8 in front of me but it turned out there wasn't. As we came onto the road section going up the hill towards the park building I saw the NEBC guy picking up his bike and running. This gave me some confidence I was near the front I pushed past a couple and then seemed to be pacing with a Colavita guy. I timed a pass and moved in front but he stayed close behind. Stayed like this for half a lap than another Colavita guy came flying through. His buddy jumped on his wheel and passed him back. I stayed with them. They tired quite quickly with their effort though and as we approached the decent to the walkway I jumped past both and accelerated. THUMP,,,,BANG,,,,FIZZZ front wheel totally flat. I had hit a pretty prominent rock that I didn't see cause i was passing and accelerating with the clincher wheels and tires i was running cause my tub was knackered from the previous day :( I'm at the very far point of the course from the pitt. I didn't have anything in there anyway and didn't actually realize there was neutral wheels available. Not sure that information would have made any difference anyway to my decision to pick up the bike and walk off the course. Watching some guys in later races run all the way round I will not walk off again though. Sitting on the rock beside Bruce watching the finish was a hollow experience. Colavita came in 6th and 7th with 5th just a little in front. Lots of questions. Should I have ridden my tubular front wheel? Would my legs have been able to hold up? Would I have managed to keep the bike up to the end unlike saturday? Took me a while to realize I will never know and probably managed to bore everyone that asked me in the process. Anyway it was a lot of fun. Nice to enjoy the weather and watch some great racing in the other categories that reminded me there is a lot more to do if I want to get any good at this game.
taudep
Chasseur

Post by taudep »

I finally finished my photos and have them posted. There's a couple albums, one trimmed and one larger. More odds of finding a photo of yourself in the larger album.

http://doublehop.blogspot.com/2009/10/2 ... p-and.html

Don't forget about Brad and Rob's photos, which are around there, too. Brad took a boat load.
I'm 20PoundSkull at cyclowhat.com.
Smudger
Tête de la course

Post by Smudger »

Nice.

Jeff, Love the helmet hair.
Rob
Chasseur

Post by Rob »

awesome shots!
I need to get me some PS skillz, those images kick ass.
Jeff Lippincott
Domestique

Post by Jeff Lippincott »

Great photos guys. Thanks.

@ smudger...I had to work hard for about 45mins to get that hair style just right!
When the beer bubbles the masses forget their troubles. --The People's Daily of China
Smudger
Tête de la course

Post by Smudger »

Jeff Lippincott wrote:@ smudger...I had to work hard for about 45mins to get that hair style just right!
Unfortunately it's been 10 years since I was able to get anywhere close to this sort of styling no matter how hard i ride on the bike :(