Palmer Koerse

Race reports
djming
Chasseur

Palmer Koerse

Post by djming »

With the weather forecast being downright biblical for the next couple days, decided to forego the 50+ to join a group of 10 of us in the 3/4 to have time to get in bonus miles after the race.
My race summary is very brief. Hard course. Fun course. The hill starting each lap basically put me over VO2 if I wanted any chance of being at the front. The mind wanted to attack, but the pace and my efforts relegated that to be at the front as much as possible (which still wasn't as much as it should have been). Watched Miller spend quite a bit of time off the front, then Robbie throw down multiple attacks to try and break the yellow VT Cup jersey holder.
I have my FTP set at 302. My normalized power for 59 minutes was 304. For that I got 24th and in an extremely generous interpretation the same time as the winner. Oh, and Robbie and Chris Gibson went 2nd, 3rd!

Went out an hour or so later for extra suffering. Thanks to AJ Piper to bringing a couple potential new guys. Some time around the 2:15 mark the legs reminded me of my age. The climb back to the venue was just all kinds of fun. Stuck around to watch the 1/2/3 and Pat Collins take the WIN after getting in a 5 person break, attacking said break, and taking the 2 man sprint. #beast
Dave Mingori
peterkuhn
Domestique

Re: Palmer Koerse

Post by peterkuhn »

I think they call that an NP buster? Regardless super hard effort Dave.

Cat 4/5:

I was planning to do marblehead and did a workout on Friday that was meant for thursday so I wasn't really rested up and that is the excuse I am giving everyone for not doing teamwork and getting obliterated in the 3/4. Is the opposite of rule #5 rule #1/5 or rule #-5? Also it turns out Robbie can just tailgun the whole field in the last 500m and podium so I wasn't really needed and I did the 4/5 for upgrade points.

The course was rad! It was closed, topographically interesting, relatively hard to injure yourself on, and the best pavement of any race I've done. Doing it the way we did it there was punchy climb #1 right out of the gate, some flat, a sort-of-punchy-climb-around-a-curve #2, more flat but not as much as the first time, and punchy climb #3 (the punchiest) to the top. When I say punchy, it means the course is punching you in the thighs, not the other way around. Then the fun part: two turns down a hill that are about as steep and fast as you'd ever want to take in a pack. There were really fast lines through these, but also, you're in a pack. Then a little rise and fall into the finish.

So we got going and we shelled some folks. Then on the next lap we shelled some more folks, and uh, some more folks after that. Sorry if this is kind of dull but it's a 4/5 race. Kudos to young Darren (hope I'm getting his name right) in his first ever race, who crushed it off the front for the climbs on a couple laps, bridging up to riders further up the road. They were unfortunately not in our race but it was a strong if confusing effort. I hope we see more of him, we need our own age dopers to deal with some of these kids who are evidently made of helium.

We had a bunch of guys who also did the 3/4 race so I expected we would all stick together until the final lap and that's what happened. I felt strong enough to get away over the top on the last lap but didn't feel confident enough to try and now regret it.

What happened instead was: We all pedaled slightly harder up the climbs on the last lap, as you do, and on punchy climb #3 Mike, who was in otherwise fine form, started cursing loudly. In my opinion, going uphill is a good enough reason to yell curses, but he had a mechanical too. The now-diminished group stuck together over the top and insanely was jockeying for position downhill through the corners. Tons of guys were delerious and thought they were way off the front soloing to victory, because I saw an awful lot of unwarranted supertucking. And doing the chris froome supertuck superpedal. Like 10 feet behind the guy in front of them. Jeez guys.

We hit that little rise and a guy all the way on the inside made a dream move to be behind, going full gas from ~40 seconds out. Unfortunately I was all the way on the outside and by the time I could get over with his chasers he was outta there, putting in an admittedly excellent effort that I was unable to catch in the sprint for 2nd.
rraymond
Domestique

Post by rraymond »

Roy put in a big attack from the gun and stayed away for over a lap. Then it was different MRCers for the next few laps with Mark staying away for a while too.

I know I'm not the best bike handler but I took the downhills extra cautiously after the first lap where someone next to Cratty and I locked up their front wheel and did a nose wheely and made a miraculous saved from certain destruction.

Race was a little frustrating because I kept trying to drop the VT cup leader but someone chased me down every time and the race always eased up enough to come back together. I think I attacked 6-8 times in the second half of the race. By the end, the VT cup leader had fallen from back from the lead group. Then we hit the downhill and flat section and everyone eased up a ton. So going into the last lap I was gassed and sat in until the last punchy climb but was boxed in and lost position in the pack.

Then came the downhill and I lost a few more places so I started pedaling as soon as we were done with the switchbacks. I caught the leaders at the crest of the little hill and I was carrying more speed at that point so I just kept going. With 200m left I thought I was done but nobody was on my wheel so I kept my "sprint" going. Nearing the line I thought I might have it but there was nothing in the tank left and I was caught at the line by the VT cup leader. Thus ended my 40-60 second sprint.

Turns out the cup leader pissed off the field in the sprint when he cut two people off hitting both their front wheels and nearly crashing them out. They protested to have him disqualified but the officials didn't change the result. I'm paraphrasing but the officials basically said that since he didn't push anyone off the course or cause a crash they weren't going to do anything about it. Not sure what that says about our sport if someone has to get injured in order for sketchy behavior to be punished.
pace21
Maillot Jaune

Post by pace21 »

Yeh it’s always tricky in amateur racing without 5 camera angles to place enough blame to relegate someone. I’ve seen it happen but only with GoPro footage.

What are the standings now Robbie?
rraymond
Domestique

Post by rraymond »

I'm second in the cat 3 cup. 16 points behind the leader.

MRC is solidly in the lead of the cat 3 team competition. (the Mystic Velo results have us in 1st AND 4th for that so we must be doing really well!)
djming
Chasseur

Post by djming »

rraymond wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:14 am MRC is solidly in the lead of the cat 3 team competition. (the Mystic Velo results have us in 1st AND 4th for that so we must be doing really well!)
We've had so many guys in the fields, they've split us into A and B squads! :D
Dave Mingori
Jacob
Peloton

Post by Jacob »

Nice work guys. This race was a bit of a riddle for me. How to do something to make an impact without subsequently going bust and getting dropped? A counterattack off of one of Mark’s 4 or 5 solo breakaways over the bump into the flat probably didn’t look like suchamuch, but it was enough to have me gasping for my life on the next 6 climbs. I guess you could say that one ought to just completely sacrifice oneself, but it felt like the incremental benefit to the team would be negligible. At least on the last lap I could unload everything when everything matters more, explode, and then immediately finish racing. My full gas attack on the final climb was good enough to put me in second wheel. The guy in front took a peek back and then started riding his bike faster. It would have been kind of aggravating if I wasn’t trying to use every muscle in my body to turn pedals. I closed the gap on the first part of the downhill, had to bark at him when he swerved from inside to outside before the turn, gapped him on the turns, and hammered down from there. I really should have just tucked and recovered - I don’t think that pedaling downhill was really making me much faster at that point, and there’s no way I could solo to the finish from there - too much air to push through. The front group of about 15 caught me at the bump and my body stopped racing. I debated getting into the 40+ but didn’t, which I think was the right choice.
MarkMiller321
Domestique

Post by MarkMiller321 »

Summary is pretty simple for this one. I was told to soften up the race. Given my bad winter of training and suspect form I thought this would be a good chance to bust the rust. When the group reeled in Roy's first move I laid down a big attack. I maxed out at 1,100 watts and averaged 900 plus for five seconds to get a pretty healthy gap. Managed to stay solo for two and three quarters laps. After sitting in a lap the pace lulled so I attacked again and was free to fly another lap on my own.

I wish I had been able to get away with Scott Smith. We have similar strengths and were both killing the downhills. Seems that everyone was following the CX guys on the incredible decent. Every lap I did whatever I wanted and passed guys left and right at 45 mph. What a blast! I was in a similar spot as Dave. FTP is +- 315 right now and my normalized was 350 for the hour which I felt in my legs for hours afterwards.

Somehow on the last lap I still had some ammo in the chamber and tried to set a pace just hard enough to discourage attacks. Lining up the lead out was tough on the hills so I tried to hover around the protected boys. When Robbie went by on the outside I had a great bead on his wheel until one of the Umpaloompas from the burrito team almost took me out. Somehow I regrouped and managed to start sprinting. Seeing the boys up front my mind shifted to my worn away chainrings and decided to sit up and bitch at sketchy burrito kid. He didn't listen. At least Orange Shoes didn't kill anyone on the decent.

We grouped up after the ride and did a punchy little out and back. I did a bit of a dig on the last climb to start getting my body ready for Quabbin in a few weeks. Back at the track my truck became the unofficial MRC hub. Mark was selling socks off the tailgate and and everyone was just hanging out enjoying the glorious day!
JeremyC
Maillot Jaune

Post by JeremyC »

I attacked once. I disrupted the chase a lot. I covered a bunch of moves. In between I hung on and tried to desperately recover, which I did just enough to ride to the front and lead it out into the last steep bump of the final climb. I exploded and rolled in 28th. I could have rested instead and maybe sprinted for a top 10 but that wasn’t the plan so I completely sacrificed for the team. It must have worked as we had 2 guys on the podium. For my efforts I got a Maple water.

Now I’m on to races I care about, domestique duties complete.
mfwestbe
Chasseur

Post by mfwestbe »

Peter K notes everything quite well for 4/5. We welcomed Derin to his first race ever, and he did quite well! First 20 minutes were probably the hardest, then it toned down. Too much, actually, and people started doing stupid things while bunching up on the finish straight, and causing a dumb crash. Next lap I went to the front to keep up the tempo and avoid more nonsense.
Couldn't drop to my small ring on the last hill, and though I wasn't in a terrible gear, I'd lost cadence, and ultimately lost at least 10 positions and too much distance. I had been about where I wanted to be, and I had the legs that I could have done some damage and probably gotten Peter 1 instead of 2 if chasing down the guy that went. Still decided to zip up past people and roll in 15, but I'm pretty bummed.

After, proceeded to go crush myself on final parts of the Quabbin course and PR Greenwich and the park climb. Kinda looking forward to Quabbi now.