NBX 2017 race reports

Race reports
dantelman
Peloton

NBX 2017 race reports

Post by dantelman »

Did people like that SAND RUN??
My legs were sore on Monday, at first I thought it was from Sunday's road ride, but it was from running that long sand section!

Jeremy Powers won his first UCI race of the year.

How did MRC fare?
Hup Hup
cbusick
Tête de la course

Re: NBX 2017 race reports

Post by cbusick »

It was a very short sand run on Sunday. The pro's were riding it. I could only make it to where it went back up.
I used to race to detox from a week in Vegas.
Patrick got another UCI point.
-Chris Busick
pace21
Maillot Jaune

Post by pace21 »

That race report has a very high information-to-length ratio. Well done, but would have been better as a Haiku
tsavage
Chasseur

Post by tsavage »

It used to be longer.

Anna rode Sunday's sand.
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." - H.G. Wells
Briana
Chasseur

Post by Briana »

I raced Sat and Sun. Typical NBX courses both days, a great mix of terrain. Long sand run on Sat, short mostly ridable sand section on Sun. I had decent races both days, It took me a bit to get comfortable after spending 9 days off the bike in Europe. I finished 15th on Sat and 18th on Sun. It's tough when they mix the elite jr's with the masters, those "kids" are fast. The weather was perfect both days.

Next up FAT bike race at Ice Weasels and Boss Cross, maybe Masters at Boss Cross too.

Brian
Brian Anderson
pcollins
Peloton

Post by pcollins »

I love NBX. The course suits me pretty well and the venue is great. Going into the weekend I thought I had a very small chance of finishing in the top 10, due to how stacked the field was. I was predicted ~17th each day, with the likes of JPow, Curtis White and Justin Lindine fighting it out for the win. I was a bit concerned about how I’d perform due to not doing any intense training during the week, after feeling very fatigued and not myself the weekend prior.

On Day 1 I had really good legs. I missed the early separations for the groups contending for the top ten, so I chased the majority of the race, in 12th place, with McNicholas, McCormack, and Myerson. Basically whenever I was pedaling, I was sprinting. McNicholas and McCormack did some work, but I did the majority of the chasing, as I really wanted a top 10. Myerson barely held on to our group, on his limit, as he admitted after the race. I was within ~5 seconds of the duo in 10th and 11th, around 40 mins into the race, then crashed out in a corner before the barriers when I pedal struck a root (welcome to Goddard Mem. State Park). I made it back to the group and kept chasing, McCormack and McNicholas dropped off, so it was another Myerson vs. Collins cage fight. Once I knew we weren’t going to catch 10th with 1 lap to go, I started sizing up Myerson, attacked once but he covered well, then he attacked on the straightway right after the pit with only a few hundred meters to go. I made it back to his wheel through the last rooty section but he got me in the sprint (again). I wasn’t too disappointed with 12th and was happy with how good my legs felt and performed.

Day 2 I was staged as the first guy on the third row, darn (I was second row on Day 1), I had some work to do to get near the front of the field. Spent a few laps trying to get from ~16th place into a group racing for 10th, but was unsuccessful. I was in a group with McCormack again, as well as O’Donnell (they’d eventually finish 6th &7th) as we were charging hard, but I slid out in a corner, unclipped but didn’t crash and lost contact. I was solo in 12th place for the majority of the race. I found myself racing with JPow for about a lap as he was chasing back after some issues, which was cool, but I was inevitably dropped. The with a few laps to go I caught and immediately passed a fading Chabanov, so I was in 11th. Then with ~1.5 laps to go I heard Busick scream from the pit “YOUR IN 10th!!”. At first I was like, “What? No way” but it turns out that JPow flatted & DNFed. I held my ~30 second gap of the Richard Sachs duo behind me to finish 10th and snag the last UCI point!

This was the first time Busick was around for a UCI top ten for me, which was awesome! As always, thanks for the help with pit duty! I’m pretty sure that’s a wrap on my CX season. It was my best one yet, with 3 UCI top tens! Now it’s time for some rest and final exams/projects before I prep for another big road season with CCB. Thanks so much to the club for supporting me this CX season!